Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by Charlus View Post
    I love the idea of power by restraint and all, and Supes wanting to gain our trust by adjusting to our laws...

But please, not the Christian analogy, please no. We already had that (too much of that, actually) with SR.
    If it makes you feel better, the Christian narrative is not the only story to evoke these themes and images. The idea of a savior submitting through suffering can be found throughout a myriad of folktales, myths, and religions. Analogies to Christ tend to be mentioned more than the others only because Judeo-Christian theology is more well-known.

Quote Originally Posted by stk View Post
    ??

Why single out Returns?
    Cause Brian Synger himself said that he was thinking in that analogy (that, and The Devil Wears Prada, for the romantic scenes).

It is clear, for example, during the beating up, and when Luthor tries to finish the fight by stabbing him in the abdomen...

Quote Originally Posted by misslane38 View Post
    If it makes you feel better, the Christian narrative is not the only story to evoke these themes and images. The idea of a savior submitting through suffering can be found throughout a myriad of folktales, myths, and religions. Analogies to Christ tend to be mentioned more than the others only because Judeo-Christian theology is more well-known.
    Of course, I don´t say it is a wrong analogy.

I just expect sth else from the next movie.

I love the idea of power by restraint and all, and Supes wanting to gain our trust by adjusting to our laws...

But please, not the Christian analogy, please no. We already had that (too much of that, actually) with SR.
    It's people like you that are declaring war on religion. There isn't anything wrong with the Spiritual undertones. There are Spiritual and Faith based undertones in many things such as Lord of the Rings, Castlevania, Chronicles of Narnia, X-Men, Devil May Cry, Bayonetta, The CW's Supernatural, Pans Labyrinth and so many other things that I could list. The allegorical nature of Superman Returns was no more heavier than that of the first Superman movie. My father and I just re-watched the movie and we actually accounted for roughly the same amount of Spirituality in the first movie as was in the Bryan Singer movie; the only difference was that in the latter it was more pronounced than in the original.
    Last edited by RoyalTailor; 12-03-2012 at 07:48 PM.

I just expect sth else from the next movie.
    I can understand that. Nevertheless, as far as heroic monomyths go, savior themes are relatively common. The character of Superman himself is in some ways inspired by Moses, for example. I don't expect Man of Steel to be steeped in messianic motifs, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a few pop up here and there. If applied sparingly and appropriately, the effect could be quite powerful.

I like how the suit is the only bright part of the image. Obviously done on purpose but its nice to see it appearing a bit more vibrant color-wise, and not as muted as it looked on-set.

Quote Originally Posted by MFitzH2O View Post
    No, but it is the first time I saw the man square on in the face as Superman. Why 'ya ask?
    Well, the first official picture was pretty head-on as well and he had no spit curl there, plus all the spy pics that clearly show his lack of spit curl.
    People who chime in on vs. threads with "I don't like Superman at all, but he'd win.", STOP HELPING! Superman doesn't need your damning him with faint praise, thank you.

Cause Brian Synger himself said that he was thinking in that analogy
    I didn't ask you why the analogy was appropriate to Returns. I asked you why you were singling out Returns as if the analogy was specific to that ONE Superman movie and none of the others.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyalTailor View Post
    It's people like you that are declaring war on religion.
    Oh, brother. Here comes the rhetoric.

I wish they had not padded this suit, those biceps look stupid in the new poster.

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerous View Post
    I wish they had not padded this suit, those biceps look stupid in the new poster.
    Those are his real muscles. You obviously haven't seen him topless.

All Roads Lead To Hell 666MasterOfPuppets's Avatar
    The Legendary Fortress Of Solitude, The Strangest Place On Earth

Quote Originally Posted by torysac58 View Post
    In case some of you guys haven't seen this........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDpIqFwJoFk

It's an edited version of the comic-con trailer, using clips from the teaser to replace duplicate clips in the trailer. A little blurry, but I get pumped every time I watch it.
    This is going to kick so much ass. I can't wait. I want the trailer now, DAMMIT!

Quote Originally Posted by stk View Post
    ??

Why single out Returns?
    Quoted for truth. The christ analogies are all over the place, not only in SR, but in comics, TV, etc. (recommended reading, if you don't mind the author trying to shove his beliefs down your throat: The Gospel According to the World's Greatest Superhero by Stephen Skelton).
    ... The Master Of Puppets has spoken.

Goodbye León (november 16th, 1993 - june 12th, 2009). You were, are and always will be the best friend I ever had. I will always love you and never forget you. And please, please forgive me.

Thank you for teaching me about love, patience and caring. Rest in Peace, my friend. I hope that wherever it is you are now, you can run and play as much as you want.

Quote Originally Posted by nightrider View Post
    Those are his real muscles. You obviously haven't seen him topless.
    I've seen him topless, yes he was in amazing shape, but the suit is padded.

Optic Blast, Optic Blast B. Kuwanger's Avatar

Thick, maybe, looks like molded abs, but not padded. We have finally gotten to the point where actors are willing to look the part to play superheroes.