Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Pipeline - Nov 20, 2012

Augie takes a look at the second year of Marvel's classic "Excalibur" series from Chris Claremont and Alan Davis. *And just how productive was Ron Lim back then? *Hint: Very.

Full article here.

A good rule of thumb for Excalibur: Did Alan Davis draw it? Read it. He didn't? Approach with caution.

Washington.... the state not the place with the monuments.

I mentioned Ron Lim to a writer once at a convention and talked about how Ron Lim wouldn't turn down work, that he was a hard worker, which was evident in seeing how many Silver Surfer issues he kept churing out one-after-another.

Chris Wozniak's stuff was crazy. Not a bad crazy, I remember seeing his art and remembering it's style. It would of been interesting to see where it would of gone, but he seemed to disapear.

Valued Member Since 2008 semicyon's Avatar

Alan Davis' times on Excalibur remain at the top of my all-time favorite runs of superhero comics. I never enjoyed Kitty Pryde, Nightcrawler, or Meggan more than during their time in Excalibur. Looking forward to the coverage of Davis' solo stint on the series.

We definitely could use more Ron Lim's and Mark Bagley's these days...

Speaking of, is Lim doing anything besides the Anita Blake adaptations anymore?

I actually never minded Wozniak's Excalibur stuff other than it was a drastic departure from Davis' more clean and straightforward artwork(felt the same way when Erik Larsen followed Steve Lightle on Doom Patrol in the '80s, though that was a far more extreme example I think). Either way, just about everything Alan Davis is associated with is pretty much gold in my book.

Just some general responses here:

* I think the problem with Lim's art is that it pretty much looks the same today as it did 15 years ago. It's serviceable for superhero stuff, and I think it works great with more sci-fi kind of stuff, but is ultimately limited. I loved "Silver Surfer," though. I wonder how much a strong inker might help him, or if even that wouldn't help. (See Joe Rubinstein's attempts...)

* Wozniak attempted one comeback in the late 90s that went nowhere. As I remember, it was a "What If?" issue that made him look like a Chris Bachalo clone.

* Meanwhile, Alan Davis is possibly my favorite comic artist of all time -- when Mark Farmer is inking over him. There's some work in his solo "Excalibur" run that's mesmerizing to me still. And that "JLA: The Nail" book? Amazing.

-Augie

Quote Originally Posted by Augie De Blieck Jr. View Post
    And in isse #24, Courtney Ross treats Kitty Pryde to an extravagantly good time to convince her to attend her school. Did Claremont also forget that Courtney wasn't Courtney in this story? I know there's a "Girls School From Heck" storyline in the series' third year. I'll assume it's all explained there.
    Nope. It wasn't. Chris Claremont himself seemed to have forgotten that Courtney Ross was murdered & replaced by Sat-Yr-9. He never did explain why she was being so nice to Kitty. And when Alan Davis finally did return to the series as writer & penciler and revealed who Sat-Yr-9 was, he didn't bother to explain it, either.

Myself, I always thought Sat-Yr-9 (is that even the correct spelling?) was acting like a mother figure to Kitty either because she wanted to groom her as a successor, or eventually use her against Excalibur. But, nope, neither Claremont or Davis ever revealed the specifics. Another dangler there.

Hi Ben,

Quote Originally Posted by bh123 View Post
    Myself, I always thought Sat-Yr-9 (is that even the correct spelling?) was acting like a mother figure to Kitty either because she wanted to groom her as a successor, or eventually use her against Excalibur. But, nope, neither Claremont or Davis ever revealed the specifics. Another dangler there.
    Here's the excerpt from the UncannyXmen.net writeup:

http://www.uncannyxmen.net/showarticle.asp?fldAuto=2885

There was one plotline that Davis initially left for Claremont himself to resolve. "From issue #5 (1989) of Excalibur we'd been building up a subplot where we had Sat-yr-9, Doc Croc, the Vixen, and Jamie Braddock coming together for a climactic battle, which still hasn't happened, although Chris Claremont is planning on doing that in a special series at some point in the future," Davis revealed in Marvel Age #100.

When Claremont left Marvel before doing the series, Davis used Sat-yr-9, Vixen and Jamie Braddock anyway. In Excalibur #55-56 in 1992, the heroes learned that Sat-yr-9 had killed Captain Britain's old girldfriend, Courtney Ross, and had posed as her since Excalibur #5. However, Davis didn't reveal why Sat-yr-9 had taken a special interest in Kitty Pryde, whom she had befriended in Excalibur #21 in 1990 and had spoiled with an amazing birthday celebration in Excalibur #24 the same year.

"From what I gather in terms of the current X-Men, it's not part of the mix," Claremont told Seriejournalen.dk. "The key to (the X-Men) was always to deal with (the characters) in terms of how they interacted with the real world that they were a part of the real world, that they lived in the real world, that they had a future in the real world. That at some point Storm might well marry Forge and go on living happily ever after or not. That Nightcrawler and Amanda (Sefton) had a future. That Kitty would or would not become the new Saturnyne. All these elements were there."

Quote Originally Posted by Augie De Blieck Jr. View Post
    Here's the excerpt from the UncannyXmen.net writeup
    Cool, Augie, thanks for the info. Like yourself, I really enjoyed Excalibur when Chris Claremont & Alan Davis were doing it, and after Davis left in the middle of the Cross Time Caper, I gradually lost interest. Then when Claremont himself departed, and we got almost a year of musical chair creative teams, I dropped the series. I came back for Claremont's three issue return/finale and stuck around for Scott Lobdell's period filling in as writer (those were actually decent issues, in my opinion) but of course I was rally thrilled once Davis returned to write & pencil the series. That was undoubtedly one of the series' high points. Then when he left again (drat!) we got more musical chairs on the creative teams before Warren Ellis finally came aboard.

Thinking back, yes, I really liked the characters on Excalibur, but the series went through so many dips & peaks in quality. One of these days, I would really like to see Davis or Claremont have an opportunity to write the characters again, and give soime resoultion to those old subplots. I wish Claremont had used his return to X-Men several years back to address them, since he did bring back Sat-Yr-9. Instead, through, he tied her in with a confusing Hellfire Club civil war storyline.