Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Mutant civil war? It reminds me of the abandoned event from early '90s called "mutant wars", when Claremont was writing X-Men.
    Say No to decompressed storytelling!

Bellechere for the win!!!

European Union: XXI Century New USSR
    I am anti-EU

Cyclops and raven the new leaders of the mutant race

Forget the contradiction there. what's up with KITTY saying "I'm wondering how they're getting to the new mutants before us."
    HELLO! You remember your ROOMATE & BFF who can teleport through time??
    Did anyone besides me find this an incredibly stupid thing for someone as ostensibly smart as Kitty to say? Or is she just kind of pretending Illyana never existed because she doesn't care for this Magik 2.0 version (or are we at 3.0 now?)

Illyana's not good at time traveling. She's not gonna do it unless the New Mutants' lives or trolling Amara are involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanji View Post
    Illyana's not good at time traveling. She's not gonna do it unless the New Mutants' lives or trolling Amara are involved.
    HE's talking about Rachel's seldom used lesser mutation.

o

Quote Originally Posted by darknessatnoon View Post
    Because she knows that even people at the school, like Hellion, Prodigy and Surge, would rebel.
    Who are these people you just mentioned? Surely not characters with gumption?

Quote Originally Posted by Sanji View Post
    That was the case with Illyana, but Magik 2.0 seems to have no problem with it at all. I can't think of a single time where she didn't end up exactly where and /when/ she wanted to be. She also traveled numerous timelines before she came to this one where Legion was able to eradicate the Elder Gods.

I don't know if it's meh writing or if Magik 2.0 has far greater control over her stepping disks the same as she has apparently much greater control over her magics now. Perhaps it is just because (having been created by Belasco fairly recently aside) she's experienced many many more years, living through a number of timelines before settling on this one. Although technically she should /either/ still be the same apparent age that she died (demonstrated by Enchantress's aging spell not changing her a bit) OR she should be noticeably older. No one seems to care that she still seems to be about the same age as the New Mutants (although admittedly it would be creepy for them to continue to hang out with an apparently 14 year old girl).

Edit: >>> Come to think of it, I think that would make Magik 2.0 even creepier than she already is. That whole 'I intend to act like it (it=she has a soul) if nothing else' doesn't really seem to be working out too well for her.
    Last edited by ryochan; 11-21-2012 at 03:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chakal View Post
    Mutant civil war? It reminds me of the abandoned event from early '90s called "mutant wars", when Claremont was writing X-Men.
    dd this "mutant wars" arc you mention is also the title of a video game published by Activision back in 2000?
    Last edited by ZNOP; 11-21-2012 at 04:04 PM.
    Hear me X-men! No longer am I the woman you once knew! I am fire and life incarnate! Now and forever...

I AM PHOENIX!

Its Activision they really like the words War and Craft.
    Black History Month & 29 Days in February

Quote Originally Posted by JaggedFel View Post
    Its Activision they really like the words War and Craft.
    So... What abandon event is "Chakal" speaking of?
    Hear me X-men! No longer am I the woman you once knew! I am fire and life incarnate! Now and forever...

I AM PHOENIX!

Quote Originally Posted by ryochan View Post
    That was the case with Illyana, but Magik 2.0 seems to have no problem with it at all. I can't think of a single time where she didn't end up exactly where and /when/ she wanted to be. She also traveled numerous timelines before she came to this one where Legion was able to eradicate the Elder Gods.

I don't know if it's meh writing or if Magik 2.0 has far greater control over her stepping disks the same as she has apparently much greater control over her magics now. Perhaps it is just because (having been created by Belasco fairly recently aside) she's experienced many many more years, living through a number of timelines before settling on this one. Although technically she should /either/ still be the same apparent age that she died (demonstrated by Enchantress's aging spell not changing her a bit) OR she should be noticeably older. No one seems to care that she still seems to be about the same age as the New Mutants (although admittedly it would be creepy for them to continue to hang out with an apparently 14 year old girl).

Edit: >>> Come to think of it, I think that would make Magik 2.0 even creepier than she already is. That whole 'I intend to act like it (it=she has a soul) if nothing else' doesn't really seem to be working out too well for her.
    Magik was 'aged' when she returned to the books - like Doug was - so she's not 14 according to Zeb Wells, iirc. (Still younger than the other NMs, but not young tween jailbait).

Also, how would you know she always turns up when she needs to? When Illyana is interviewed by Emma Frost in Vol 3, Issue 9, she tells Emma: "I saw many futures on the way to this past." which implies that she had to try a couple of times to get the time travel correct (or that she failed in her mission a couple of times and had to 'reset' and try again repeatedly, depends on how you wish to interpret it). Either way, there's really no indication that this Magik can control her time travel any better than the she could when she was 14. Magic and teleportation, sure, but she always had a handle on those - I think it's necessary to keep Illyana's time-travel as a nebulous, untamed variable, otherwise it introduces too many story plotholes and, frankly, overpowers her too much.
    sunspot. magik. magma. kid loki. kitty. karma. frost.
    Deviantart

Quote Originally Posted by murdershewrote View Post
    ither way, there's really no indication that this Magik can control her time travel any better than the she could when she was 14. Magic and teleportation, sure, but she always had a handle on those - I think it's necessary to keep Illyana's time-travel as a nebulous, untamed variable, otherwise it introduces too many story plotholes and, frankly, overpowers her too much.
    Fair enough - I was mostly going based on the fact that the original Illyana repeatedly urged people not to have her teleport over long distances/through time, and used it very sparingly. Magik 2.0 doesn't seem to have any problem with it, but I'm mostly basing that on the lack of constant reminders that we had previously that teleporting was risky business.

>>edit: I also interpreted the 'visiting many timelines' as being her looking for the divergent event that resulted in certain outcomes rather than showing up at the wrong time. But there's no real indication that it's one rather than the other.
    Last edited by ryochan; 11-21-2012 at 06:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ryochan View Post
    Fair enough - I was mostly going based on the fact that the original Illyana repeatedly urged people not to have her teleport over long distances/through time, and used it very sparingly. Magik 2.0 doesn't seem to have any problem with it, but I'm mostly basing that on the lack of constant reminders that we had previously that teleporting was risky business.
    I think the constant reminders was a Claremontism put in place to get new readers up to date with their abilities. After all, 'Berto no longer says "I'm strong, not invulnerable!" every issue, nor does Sam whine about how poorly he can control his blasting. :P
    sunspot. magik. magma. kid loki. kitty. karma. frost.
    Deviantart

Why didn't Scott end his CCTV manifesto with a rousing "OUTTIE 5000!"??? He had the goofy x-arm gesture all ready and everything.

From day one there has always been a mutant civil war I wouldn't even call schism a civil war because at the end of the day in avx all the mutants werestill on cyclops side until the very end......... so right now is a return to the statues quo. There's the UA, X-men "watx, uncanny,anxm" ravens school, brotherhood,