Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Assimilation or Death Omega Alpha's Avatar

I also think that after being screwed by Harras when he was writing Hulk- 11 years on the job (second only to Claremont at that point in period in the same book) with one of the most acclaimed runs of all time, being fired suddenly, without even a chance to wrap up his run, because Harras wanted a dumber Hulk- he's wary of "big books".
    That's right! Al Gore invented the internet, let's all go kick his ass!

I got your inconvenient truth right here, motherf*&%!

Donald M.

Praiseworthy Analyst Emerald_616's Avatar

Bob Harras is not very nice as an editor. Just look at the New 52. I'm amazed he and Rob Liefeld have had careers for so long.
    "Claremazons are made to be punished." - jarrod

Essential reading

Veteran Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

He actually does a good bit of a work here and there. I think he also wrote some episodes of Young Justice. It just looks like the only book he'll be writing consistantly for the time being is X-Factor.

King of Polaris fandom PolarisJunkie's Avatar

I think I'd prefer him to only write X-Factor as its his #1 priority. It's always at the top of my pile every time it releases I love it so much.

PAD has something in his writing that I've always loved in that everyone has a unique voice and feels different. His Captain Marvel run and X-Factor I get this feeling a lot and its something I don't think happens in every comic. Not to say I wouldn't object to him getting another title, but if it stops the X-Factor train I may lose my mind.

He said in one of his columns (either in the But I Digress or in the More Digressions collection) that he aims to diversify his work as much as possible, because he's seen past glories of comic writing who only did that one thing and now beg for any kind of work. He doesn't want to be dependent on only one source of income. Smart guy.

If you want more PAD, track down his run on Captain Marvel and his creator-owned Fallen Angel for a start.
    Last edited by passer-by; 11-21-2012 at 01:23 AM.

Assimilation or Death Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by passer-by View Post
    He said in one of his columns (either in the But I Digress or in the More Digressions collection) that he aims to diversify his work as much as possible, because he's seen past glories of comic writing who only did that one thing and now beg for any kind of work. He doesn't want to be dependent on only one source of income. Smart guy.
    Claremont is certainly one of the people he's thinking about here.
    That's right! Al Gore invented the internet, let's all go kick his ass!

I got your inconvenient truth right here, motherf*&%!

Donald M.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    I also think that after being screwed by Harras when he was writing Hulk- 11 years on the job (second only to Claremont at that point in period in the same book) with one of the most acclaimed runs of all time, being fired suddenly, without even a chance to wrap up his run, because Harras wanted a dumber Hulk- he's wary of "big books".
    He wasn't fired. He quit. (Although the reason he quit was, yes, they wanted a dumb Hulk.)
    "If you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

This Harras guy sounds like a piece of poo

BANNED

Conclusion?

PAD - nice guy
    Bob Harras - jerk

Quote Originally Posted by J/O/J/O View Post
    This Harras guy sounds like a piece of s**t.
    That's because he is. Currently he's ruing the DCU by giving tired '90s creators like Scott Lobdell a bunch of books.

BANNED

That doesn't make him a piece of shit. Ad hominem attacks are logical fallacies.

Someone delete my previous post,then.Poo?

Professional Hedonist cybrestrike's Avatar

I love what PAD's doing with X-Factor. Would I love him to be on another x-title? Yes, most definitely--but he seems to diversify his time and work very well. A shame he got screwed by Harras...his Hulk run was excellent, and I never really likeded the Hulk before. And everyone--definitely give his Captain Marvel run a look...it was great.
    Storm Wolverine Nightcrawler Colossus Shadowcat Rogue Phoenix Magneto
    Mirage Cannonball Karma Sunspot Wolfsbane Magma Magik Cypher Warlock
    Jubilee Synch M Husk Chamber Skin

Just speculating, but looking at the roster of X-Factor I'd say he's writing that book (as opposed to the flagship book) because they are characters that very few people gave a damn about, and that gives him the creative control he needs to create the stories he wants to tell. Throw a Storm or a Colossus in there, let alone a Cyclops or Wolverine, and he's up to his elbows in editorial mandates. Writing about Longshot or Shatterstar? Meh, do what you got to do Pete. Same reason Alan Moore was allowed to do what he wanted to with Swamp Thing, or Giffen and the Bwa-ha-ha League. It's combinations like that (obscure character relatively free from editorial control, and talented writers) I look for, usually makes for great comics.
    A Fool for the Foom

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    Claremont is certainly one of the people he's thinking about here.
    CC doesn't "beg" for work, bub.