Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default REVIEW: Indestructible Hulk #1

Mark Waid and Leinil Francis Yu's "Indestructible Hulk" #1 begins new era for Bruce Banner as he becomes more accepting of his big green "disease."

Full review here.

At this rate the Marvel boards will only have Daredevil and Fantastic Four to talk about.

Pretty much everyone else is a) an Avenger, b) an X-Man or c) affiliated with Spider-man.
    Currently reading She-Hulk, Deadpool, Swamp Thing, Ms. Marvel

Probation: Ghost Rider, Loki: LoA, Secret Avengers

Looking forward to All-New Ultimates, Flash Gordon and Doctor Mirage.

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherUnitNo_4 View Post
    At this rate the Marvel boards will only have Daredevil and Fantastic Four to talk about.

Pretty much everyone else is a) an Avenger, b) an X-Man or c) affiliated with Spider-man.
    Don't forget d) punisher

Quote Originally Posted by stussyjones View Post
    Don't forget d) punisher
    For now.
    Currently reading She-Hulk, Deadpool, Swamp Thing, Ms. Marvel

Probation: Ghost Rider, Loki: LoA, Secret Avengers

Looking forward to All-New Ultimates, Flash Gordon and Doctor Mirage.

Season 2 of Blue Estate CTpitch's Avatar

man I even have to get my Morbius news over at the spider man boards
    A Happy supporter of Indie comics and B-list heroes

Check out the Death to Comics Podcast...if you dare

BANNED

This book is gonna be the best of Marvel NOW! Love that they are bringing back the Quintronic Man!

Veteran Member Juggernaut Punch's Avatar

I'm not a fan of the idea that Hulk has the intelligence of a pea again. Nor do I like the fact that no one has mentioned Pak's run where Hulk and Banner were working together in perfect, peaceful co-ordination.

Still, the story seems good, the writing is great, and the art is absolutely fantastic.

Seemed like a solid first issue, and I love Yu's art. I'll definitely be there for issue #2!

"Solid First Issue" is a good way of putting it.

It introduces the concept, it gives you some fun action, it's got a lot of tension, in a good way. It's smart, and beautiful.

I think the impact was dulled a bit after having read so many interviews about what the high concept was. Most of this issue was ABOUT laying out the high concept, so it felt a little rote, not through any fault of Waid's.

But yeah, fun, solid, did everything a first issue SHOULD do, now I'm ready for something more.

Very promising start.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

THE SUPERIOR MEMBER! USERNAME TAKEN's Avatar

It was basically set-up, something a lot of writers are going for these days.

Very good (but didn't wow me like Thor last week).
    Adults struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life when the answer is obvious to the smallest child: because it's not real. - Grant Morrison

there needs to be more monsters and villains to fight- new creations.

This doesn't feel as good as Waid's Daredevil... It felt quite disjointed from where Jason Aaron left the Hulk which is weird since I've always taken Mark Waid to be very continuity conscious.

I'm hoping it finds a better voice next issue.

Optic Blast, Optic Blast B. Kuwanger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Desaad View Post
    "Solid First Issue" is a good way of putting it.

It introduces the concept, it gives you some fun action, it's got a lot of tension, in a good way. It's smart, and beautiful.

I think the impact was dulled a bit after having read so many interviews about what the high concept was. Most of this issue was ABOUT laying out the high concept, so it felt a little rote, not through any fault of Waid's.

But yeah, fun, solid, did everything a first issue SHOULD do, now I'm ready for something more.

Very promising start.
    I'm getting last minute thoughts about it possibly not being as good as I'd like (Waid, Yu, and Hulk fan here) but I'm glad to see you positively weigh in on it.

Waid representing Alabama.
    Animal Man, Swamp Thing, Constantine, Earth-2, Suicide Squad, Phantom Stranger, Forever Evil, Rogues Rebellion, Arkham War, ARGUS, Iron Man & Unity. Trades: Saga, East of West & Lazarus.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Kuwanger View Post
    I'm getting last minute thoughts about it possibly not being as good as I'd like (Waid, Yu, and Hulk fan here) but I'm glad to see you positively weigh in on it.
    I don't know if it's as good as you'd like; as I said, it's very basic. It's a very basic intro. ONe could even say by the numbers. Waid is NOT breaking any new ground.

But he's doing what he's doing well, if that makes sense.

It's not wildly creative, but Waid is never wildly creative. I know everyone loves his Daredevil; I'm less enamored with it, but what people have to consider there is that he's going to a very 'back to basics' approach, doing some nice things with powers and some very basic character work, but a lot of that is really driven by storytelling, and that is heavily supported by the artwork.

So if anyone is expecting innovation out of this run, frankly, I think you're going to be disappointed. But it's well written, well paced, it's interesting enough, it's got some fun action. Yu is great, as always.

I hope you enjoy it!
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/