Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Azz and Chiang are doing an amazing job on 52 WW. If not for Manapul Flash, it would be my favorite book. This interview just gets me excited for more.

Quote Originally Posted by Comet Man View Post
    You make a good point with the dichotomy aspect of it, but he just looks like a guy in a motorcycle outfit with Orion's helmet. However, the first design screams ORION!
    Which fits, because I've always suspected that the Astro-Glider was at least partly based on a motorcycle. It'd explain Orion's odd posture if nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by Desaad View Post
    I really loved Simonson's redesign as well...

Tremendous stuff from the modern master.
    While I certainly agree with you on the "modern master" part, Walt didn't create that design. It was a riff on Orion's old Super Power action figure.

Admittedly, Walt made it look FANTASTIC.
    Mario Di Giacomo

Quote Originally Posted by mdg1;16187722
    While I certainly agree with you on the "modern master" part, Walt didn't create that design. It was a riff on Orion's old Super Power action figure.

[IMG
    http://images.comiccollectorlive.com/covers/33d/33dad4bd-6326-47c2-918f-76817911e019.jpg[/IMG]

Admittedly, Walt made it look FANTASTIC.
    Yup, I do remember the influence, but I think it's a very different animal, despite the obvious reference.

That first Super Powers Volume never got the respect it deserved, I'll say that. Jack Kirby's involvement made it something...well, not perfect, but special all the same. All the better when he took over the project completely at the end there.

As for the Astro Glider, I've always imagined it had more to do with it being one giant canon. The rebellious motorcycle imagery was, I felt, represented by the Forever People and the Super Cycle moreso.

Last edited by Desaad; 11-20-2012 at 03:30 PM.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

Except the weapon isn't in the middle. Consider this...

Take a motorcycle. Put a rider on it. Take away everything except the handlebars, footrests, and fuel tank. Look familiar?

Mario Di Giacomo

Quote Originally Posted by mdg1 View Post
    Except the weapon isn't in the middle. Consider this...

Take a motorcycle. Put a rider on it. Take away everything except the handlebars, footrests, and fuel tank. Look familiar?

There are three elements to the Astro Harness: The Central piece, crackling with energy, and the two side guns.

And as you can see in the first gunner image I posted, having two seperate guns is one style of canon/machine gun.

I maintain that it's based off of a canon/machine gun more than Motorcycle, though I can certainly see where you're coming from. It makes more sense thematically, to me, for it to be canon-based.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

Mixture of both, perhaps?

I'll admit I handwaved the center piece a bit, but the rest still screams "biker" to me, even in that original design.

(There's only a gun on one side, BTW).
    Mario Di Giacomo

Mixture of both, perhaps?

I'll admit I handwaved the center piece a bit, but the rest still screams "biker" to me, even in that original design.

(There's only a gun on one side, BTW).
    You're right, of course, though there is a large inconsistency post-Kirby.

As it is with everything, I suppose.

You're right, of course, though there is a large inconsistency post-Kirby.

As it is with everything, I suppose.
    Agreed, which is why I consider ORION the only truly worthy follow-up to the original New Gods series. I even wrote to the letter column, more than once (Walt was kind enough to print 'em).
    Mario Di Giacomo

Agreed, which is why I consider ORION the only truly worthy follow-up to the original New Gods series. I even wrote to the letter column, more than once (Walt was kind enough to print 'em).
    I remember. You're Mario, aren't you? You used to co-mod the Alvaro New Gods board with Sean.

I posted there occasionally, in my youth, as "Astro". Was always wonderful to see Walt on there, answering questions. I remember a couple of his replies in far too fine detail, especially some of his talk of plans for the future of his book.

I remember. You're Mario, aren't you? You used to co-mod the Alvaro New Gods board with Sean.

I posted there occasionally, in my youth, as "Astro". Was always wonderful to see Walt on there, answering questions. I remember a couple of his replies in far too fine detail, especially some of his talk of plans for the future of his book.
    That's me. And I remember you as well. I still talk to Sean on occasion (and even Walt. I have photos. :) ). Don't buy a lot of comics, though.
    Mario Di Giacomo

That's me. And I remember you as well. I still talk to Sean on occasion (and even Walt. I have photos. :) ). Don't buy a lot of comics, though.
    Cheers. :) Good to see you're still posting. Hard to believe, my first post on anywhere on the internet was on that board, some 14 years ago now I think. Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Comet Man View Post
    Aw man, I really liked this design better.

What they talking about - TOO RESPECTFUL?!

Attachment 104550
    I prefer this design as well, it actually seems more streamlined to me than the other one. Also helps break up the monotony of red and black with some silver in there.

I really loved Simonson's redesign as well...

Those pages are beautiful! looks like I have to track down Simonson's Orion.

But what's this? Rob Liefeld drawing New Gods???? WTF????
    Jean Grey : What makes you such a bitch, Emma?
    Emma Frost : Breeding, darling. Top class breeding.

Quote Originally Posted by The Man From Room X View Post
    I prefer this design as well, it actually seems more streamlined to me than the other one. Also helps break up the monotony of red and black with some silver in there.

Those pages are beautiful! looks like I have to track down Simonson's Orion.

But what's this? Rob Liefeld drawing New Gods???? WTF????
    Walt used to run little backups, sometimes written by him, sometimes written by others, but always drawn by one of his friends from the industry. You had the birth of Orion, written by simonson and drawn by Frank Miller, you had a backup drawn by Dave Gibbons, one drawn by JP Leon, one drawn by Art Adams, etc. One of the backups was written by Jeph Loeb with art by Rob Liefeld.

A match made in hell, I KNOW.

I think my favorite aspect of that was the little 'next issue' blurb in the issue that preceded it. It was something like "A backup written by Jeph Loeb and drawn by Rob Liefeld. Yes THAT Rob Liefeld...but also THE Jeph Loeb". At the time Loeb's work had been universally well received, or nearabouts, so the advert was basically saying...hey, stick through the crap art for the good story.

Anyway, yes, Simonson's Orion was a gorgeous, gorgeous book. I'd say it was his best work ever, but his recent GN looks great too.

Cheers. :) Good to see you're still posting. Hard to believe, my first post on anywhere on the internet was on that board, some 14 years ago now I think. Wow.
    You think that's bad? My first post on the Internet (technically, a BITNET mailing list called ADND-L) was TWENTY-FIVE years ago.

I be old.
    Mario Di Giacomo

Oop, well some disappointing bits, certainly.

'In a way, Orion is kind of the opposite because he's given himself the ability to act out whereas Wonder Woman hasn't. I think our Wonder Woman is impulsive and does kind of act first, but our Orion has totally given himself over to that and has no qualms about hurting people, while Wonder Woman does. But there is a part of her that's similar to Orion ,and it'll be interesting how they connect.'

-- Well, no, Orion is all about the struggle for self control. He unleashes himself certainly, but Motherbox is an externalization of the struggle he has with his darker urges. The entire Simonson "Orion" run was about him coming to terms with that, turning it into a weapon, but if this is a "new" Orion...well, I worry that this kind of talk is going to lead to "Crazy wolverine!!!" Orion, the one we got in JLA under Waid.

We'll see!
    ...No. Orion is whoever Chiang and Azzarello say he is. They're creating a new Orion. You can't tell them they're wrong when it is a completely new character.