Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Chiang Reflects On New Gods, Greek Gods & "Wonder Woman"

Artist Cliff Chiang spoke with CBR about his and Brian Azzarello's first year on "Wonder Woman," the thought process behind his Greek pantheon designs and his take on the Fourth World's Orion with exclusive sketches.

Full article here.

I love Cliff Chiang's Gods designs. Dude should've designed Darkseid as well instead of Jim Lee, esp now that we know that Orion and the New Gods were part of Azzarello's initial pitch.

The Harness doesn't really seem changed at all from the old continuity.
    Looking forward to Cliff Chiang's and the inevitable BOOM of Orion's return.

It hasn't changed. I think Wonder Woman still has to come across as being in control. I think that's an important visual. Even when there are covers where she's in a perilous situation, it's not a woman tied to the train tracks. To get away from that kind of idea, that kind of story, even, it has been interesting; we want to show Wonder Woman doing heroic things and doing what she needs to do and not be seduced by juvenile imagery like that. For me, Wonder Woman still is strong and I've gotten more comfortable drawing her in that way.
    He says that she's always in control, but then you have all these betrayals and dupings of Wonder Woman that have happened so far and another one coming up. Just something that seemed off to me.

BTW disappointed none of those are new or exclusive sketches. They are all from the NYCC Drawing Wonder Woman Panel.
    Last edited by The Man From Room X; 11-20-2012 at 10:39 AM.
    Jean Grey : What makes you such a bitch, Emma?
    Emma Frost : Breeding, darling. Top class breeding.

BANNED

Comic book fans have such a love for the Fourth World characters and can be very specific about the way they like to see them appear.
    Haha I don't think that's true, but it certainly reflects a lot of the conversations here on CBR.

I am fwapping for this, without having read the interview at all.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

Oop, well some disappointing bits, certainly.

'In a way, Orion is kind of the opposite because he's given himself the ability to act out whereas Wonder Woman hasn't. I think our Wonder Woman is impulsive and does kind of act first, but our Orion has totally given himself over to that and has no qualms about hurting people, while Wonder Woman does. But there is a part of her that's similar to Orion ,and it'll be interesting how they connect.'

-- Well, no, Orion is all about the struggle for self control. He unleashes himself certainly, but Motherbox is an externalization of the struggle he has with his darker urges. The entire Simonson "Orion" run was about him coming to terms with that, turning it into a weapon, but if this is a "new" Orion...well, I worry that this kind of talk is going to lead to "Crazy wolverine!!!" Orion, the one we got in JLA under Waid.

We'll see!

" love the Fourth World characters; I really think they're a tremendous achievement. They're so great and we're trying to do this in the spirit of, it's not a strict Kirby interpretation, but it works for the character. We'll see him, hopefully, a little larger than life and from a different world in the way he acts and why he's messing around on Earth."

Love this though. Exactly right. Being completely beholden to Kirby is exactly the opposite of what one needs to do. That is what Byrne did, and it was utterly boring. Be respectful, but do your own thing. Simonson and Morrison got it.

"I'm excited for people to see those iconic Orion moments: Orion on the Astro-Harness and the Boom Tube and all those things people love. But then there's smaller moments I think I like that other people wouldn't or aren't anticipating. Quieter moments with him -- who is this Orion? When we meet him, we'll see a softer side of him as well."

And this is certainly exciting!

So we'll see.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    Haha I don't think that's true, but it certainly reflects a lot of the conversations here on CBR.
    I think it's probably true of the harder core comic fans.

They're very much a cult character set, though. Not enough to sustain any sort of ongoing series absent big buzz, big quality, etc.

Pretty snazzy:
    Army of Crime

Image: Fatale, Saga
    Dark Horse: Mind Mgmt
    Marvel: Daredevil, Hawkeye, Thor: God of Thunder

My guess is that WW and Orion will first fight and then they will team up. In the end they will probably fall in love and have lots of god sex.

You do know that these EXCLUSIVE designs have been online for a month, right?
    Mario Di Giacomo

About the only creative success of the New 52. This is the only DC title I can't wait to read a new instalment of.

Roll up the PARTITION plz Imraith Nimphais's Avatar

I've said it before...and I'll shout it out loud now...I LOVE YOU CLIFF CHIANG!!!
    Sun and Moon
    Ororo Munroe...God's own X-MAN
    Storm deserves her very own solo ongoing...unfortunately..."Limited minds place limits on everything but their own foolishness." (aja_c.)

A guy who loves comics Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar

I've said it before and I'll say it again: this is the best book DC publishes. By far.

Chiang has quickly become one of my favorite artists, and I love his Orion design. Simply fantastic work.

The longer DC lets Azzarrello, Chiang and Akins do as they please on this title, the better.

Certified Mar-Vell Zombie Comet Man's Avatar

Aw man, I really liked this design better.

What they talking about - TOO RESPECTFUL?!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1353433284.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	104550
    I seriously miss Captain Mar-Vell.

Quote Originally Posted by tunneler View Post
    My guess is that WW and Orion will first fight and then they will team up. In the end they will probably fall in love and have lots of god sex.
    Wonder Womens Booty isn't that easy to earn. There is gonna be alot of blood sweat and tears to Get intoo Her bed.

Quote Originally Posted by Comet Man View Post
    Aw man, I really liked this design better.

What they talking about - TOO RESPECTFUL?!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1353433284.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	104550
    Hm. Actually, I quite like the Jacket look for Orion (possibly one of the characters where it makes sense). It's a dichotomy between the more formal, mannered "civilized" look vs. the dark violence inside.