Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Challenger of the Unknown Kirika's Avatar

Default Ideal version of a demigod

There are different versions of demigods in fiction, many more powerful than others, however the question here is what you think they need to be to suit your standards? How above or different from normal human beings should they be? What powers should they have?

For me demi-gods should be Superman level beings and the full gods should be heading into cosmic territory.
    A woman can move a lot faster with her skirt up than a man can with his pants down.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kirika View Post
    There are different versions of demigods in fiction, many more powerful than others, however the question here is what you think they need to be to suit your standards? How above or different from normal human beings should they be? What powers should they have?
    Thor would be a prime example for me. A being granted power via an actual god, who can easily deal with most beings who aren't gods at all, but whom the actual full-on gods can deal with without problems.

There's a voice, that keeps on calling me....

I put Demi-Gods on the same sort of level as Mid/High-Level Demons and High-Level Angels.

Which is a vague answer in itself.

I love me some vagueness.
    Yes, I know the voices aren't real. But they do have some VERY good ideas....

Chilling out at the center of the Solar System

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    I put Demi-Gods on the same sort of level as Mid/High-Level Demons and High-Level Angels.

Which is a vague answer in itself.

I love me some vagueness.
    You put Demi-Gods on the same level as Michael and Lucifer Morningstar? Damn, I'd hate to see what full on gods would be like then. o_O

Also, why would mid level demons and high level angels be on the same level? :P

There's a voice, that keeps on calling me....

Quote Originally Posted by Sol M View Post
    You put Demi-Gods on the same level as Michael and Lucifer Morningstar? Damn, I'd hate to see what full on gods would be like then. o_O
    No. To me, those guys are NOT at the levels of Angels and Demons (at least in the way my own multiverse would work, were I to suddenly create one).

Think Zauriel-plus-a-bit for a typical angel. Plus-a-bit-more for higher levels.

Also, why would mid level demons and high level angels be on the same level? :P
    Because strictly speaking (again, in my own multiverse), the really top-end guys (the Mephistos etc.... basically your "supreme evil" kinda things) would be demons, but way above high-level angels. Because they've claimed power to which angels would never dare stake a claim to, for fear of righteous godly wrath. Those guys are akin to the top of most polytheistic pantheons of gods.

The Demon Mini-Bosses (leaders/rulers in areas of the Outer Circles of Hell etc) would be more of your high-level angels / demi-god levels. Bad-ass Etrigan types.
    Yes, I know the voices aren't real. But they do have some VERY good ideas....

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    No. To me, those guys are NOT at the levels of Angels and Demons (at least in the way my own multiverse would work, were I to suddenly create one).

Think Zauriel-plus-a-bit for a typical angel. Plus-a-bit-more for higher levels.
    I see. Fair enough. :)

Because strictly speaking (again, in my own multiverse), the really top-end guys (the Mephistos etc.... basically your "supreme evil" kinda things) would be demons, but way above high-level angels. Because they've claimed power to which angels would never dare stake a claim to, for fear of righteous godly wrath. Those guys are akin to the top of most polytheistic pantheons of gods.

The Demon Mini-Bosses (leaders/rulers in areas of the Outer Circles of Hell etc) would be more of your high-level angels / demi-god levels. Bad-ass Etrigan types.
    Interesting.

So, a slightly OT question, are they not really getting any real power loss from falling from grace (at least the big ones aren't) or do these demons have different origins entirely?

City buster at least. Preferablly with some esoteric powers based on their purview.
    Yeah I give up. They would need like a bajillion UNs to take it out. And they would all have to work.

A Thinking Man's Rhino Omegalith's Avatar

Kratos is about right really. As the first game depicts him anyhow: Superhuman to the point of curbstomping humans and most monsters, but requiring serious amping to not be a joke to a full god.

Obviously his powerset is a little bland, but it works for a war theme.

The access to neat toys like his blades is also a perk demigods should get if they haven't alienated everyone in their extended family who might be willing to equip them.
    A Flock of Sheep.
    A Pack of Wolves.
    An Inconvenience of Heroes.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirika View Post
    Well, I don't really thing the demigod has to be much more powerful than ordinary humans. It depends entirely on what makes the character a demigod. A direct descendent of a god would also be called a demigod, even if he only gets very minor powers, or even no tangible powers at all.

Of course, it would also depend on the power of the god granting the demigod his/her powers.

Though if a character is called a demigod simply on account of being extremely powerful, then the character actually needs to be, well, powerful. Like, at minimum, he/she should be capable of taking on a small medieval age army and winning, or displaying some less combat worthy, but still powerful, esoteric abilities.

Anything less, and the character probably wouldn't be called a demigod by any semi-civilized race.

They should be able to snipe the little sister you didn't know about while galaxies away in another dimension.

A Thinking Man's Rhino Omegalith's Avatar

Well, I don't really thing the demigod has to be much more powerful than ordinary humans. It depends entirely on what makes the character a demigod. A direct descendent of a god would also be called a demigod, even if he only gets very minor powers, or even no tangible powers at all.

Of course, it would also depend on the power of the god granting the demigod his/her powers.

Though if a character is called a demigod simply on account of being extremely powerful, then the character actually needs to be, well, powerful. Like, at minimum, he/she should be capable of taking on a small medieval age army and winning, or displaying some less combat worthy, but still powerful, esoteric abilities.

Anything less, and the character probably wouldn't be called a demigod by any semi-civilized race.
    Demi means half, so I wouldn't apply that term to a distant descendant. Godblooded or something along those lines maybe.
    A Flock of Sheep.
    A Pack of Wolves.
    An Inconvenience of Heroes.

First thing that came to my mind is Hercules.(Classic,not Marvel.)

That's just me though.

Power with girl is better Powerboy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KJ Stewart View Post
    Thor would be a prime example for me. A being granted power via an actual god, who can easily deal with most beings who aren't gods at all, but whom the actual full-on gods can deal with without problems.
    I must admit this is confusing me.

Thor isn't granted power by an actual god. He is an actual god, a "full-on" god. A demi-god, regardless of powers, is simply a being who has one mortal parent and one parent who is a god.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegalith View Post
    Demi means half, so I wouldn't apply that term to a distant descendant. Godblooded or something along those lines maybe.
    Who said anything about distant? I meant children and stuff. :P

Though, really, demigod can be used to refer to sufficiently powerful people in general.