Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Sherlock Holmes Stories NOT Written by Arthur Conan Doyle

There seems to be quite the little cottage industry of these books out there; I'm currently reading one entitled The Last Sherlock Holmes Story by Michael Dibdin. Does anybody else have any recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by DennyK View Post
    There seems to be quite the little cottage industry of these books out there; I'm currently reading one entitled The Last Sherlock Holmes Story by Michael Dibdin. Does anybody else have any recommendations?
    Well, The Seven Percent Solution is the only one considered a classic by the general public.

There have been to ''Official'' sequels commissioned by ACD's heirs after his death: The Exploits of Sherlock Holmes by his son Adrian Conan Doyle and his friend and Biographer John Dickson Carr and The more recent House of Silk by Anthony Horowitz.

Sherlock Holmes and the Murder at Lodore Falls by Charlotte Smith Has been getting a lot of praise. It's author also has a blog were she reviews Sherlock Holmes books that you might want to check http://sherlockian-book-reviews.tumblr.com/

It's an OGN but The Painful Predicament of Alice Faulkner by Bret M Herholz doesn't get enough praise.
    ...And does Mr. Goddanm Batman says so much as ''Thanks''? OF COURSE not. That'd hardly be GRIM AND GRITTY, would it?

The jerk...

-DKU's Jim Gordon.

Neil Gaiman's A Study in Emerald is magnificent. You gotta like Lovecraft, though.
    "If you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

Administrator Expletive Deleted's Avatar

Laurie King's Mary Russell series, starting with The Beekeeper's Apprentice. It gets a little fanfic-ish at times, but it's worth a look.
    Expletive Deleted

Dibdin's book is pretty divisive with it's portrayal of Holmes and Watson. I didn't hate it, but preferred Edward Hanna's The Whitechapel Horror(Also not without it's flaws).
    Lindsay Faye also recently did a Holmes/Ripper book, Dust and Shadow which I'd definitely recommend.

Titan Books recently began reprinting a lot of these type of Holmes pastiche stories under a unified trade dress: The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes. These include some standouts like Philip Jose Farmer's The Peerless Peer and Estleman's Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Holmes

While not strictly Holmes, I have to suggest you read Moriarty - The Hound of the D’Urbervilles by Kim Newman.

There's a Father Brown/Holmes mashup that I've been meaning to read but I can never find a copy cheap enough when I'm thinking about it.

There is also an anthology book titled The Improbable Adventures of Sherlock Holmes that deal with a more fantasy side of Holmes. Along with the Gaiman story there are stories written by Anne Perry, Stephen King, Tanith Lee and Michael Moorcock. Only a few misses IMO but overall some good stories.
    In search of Claire...or Libby Hoeler :D

"What is illness to the body of a knight-errant? What matter wounds? For each time he falls, he shall rise again, and woe to the wicked.
    "

Oh, I almost forgot. Sherlock Holmes: The Empty House. Is an anthology of short stories and poems on Holmes. The royalties for it go to a good cause too. http://www.amazon.com/Sherlocks-Home.../dp/1780922256
    ...And does Mr. Goddanm Batman says so much as ''Thanks''? OF COURSE not. That'd hardly be GRIM AND GRITTY, would it?

The jerk...

-DKU's Jim Gordon.

Each of Meyer's Holmes novels is worth reading.

Arsene Lupin against Holmes remains pretty awesome, even if it's there to trounce on Sherlock Holmes.

A Taste for Honey's alright. It's about a retired beekeeper who calls himself Mycroft.

Stephen King's The Doctor's Case is a nice, humorously mean (or meanly humorous) short.

Technically Moorcock's Sexton Begg stories are Holmes stories, since he at one point (Fabulous Harbours?) cops to inventing the Holmes persona and disguise for the lulz and to pretend he wasn't home at the Baker St flat one time. Course, Begg's also Sexton Blake and about seven other characters, too.
    Last edited by T Hedge Coke; 11-21-2012 at 09:49 PM.

Gone Shoggey somewhere between Bogan and Albion

Mark Frost wrote two novels with Conan Doyle and his Holmes-like mentor. One of them was called The List of Seven, the second had Six in the title. I read these so long ago, I don't remember much.
    Who squeezed the Shaman?

Quote Originally Posted by coldwarmyth View Post
    Mark Frost wrote two novels with Conan Doyle and his Holmes-like mentor. One of them was called The List of Seven, the second had Six in the title. I read these so long ago, I don't remember much.
    It's "The 6 Messiahs", the early part where the damage to Holmes' hands was being described was a bit gory for my tastes. It's been years since I read the book but I still remember that part bothering me.

I liked L.B. Greenwood's Holmes stories, nothing particularly original but very read-able Sherlock Holmes mysteries.

There's "The Veiled Detective" by David Stuart Davies if you don't mind a complete reworking of cannon from the start through the "Final Problem" including a massive twist on Watson's character.

Fred Saberhagen's Dracula series includes two encounters between his Dracula and Sherlock Holmes which are quite good.

Like Dr Phil, but AWESOME Kirayoshi's Avatar
    On the Fields of Trensimore, when no living creature can speak falsely or fail to answer.

I enjoyed Fred Saberhagen's "The Holmes/Dracula Files". Exactly what it says on the tin.

"The Final Solution" by Michael Chabon. Holmes toward the end of his life(he isn't named but enough hints are dropped), helping find a lost parrot.
    Intellect and Romance over Brute Force and Cynicism!

I haven't read it yet, but in 1902 Mark Twain wrote what may be the earliest non-Doyle Holmes story - while Doyle was still writing Holmes. Twain's "A Double-Barreled Detective Story" seems to be a more humorous take on Holmes, placing him on a visit to the American West. It's available from Project Gutenberg if anyone's interested.

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/3180/3180-h/3180-h.htm
    My Audio Drama Blog

Decoder Ring Theatre:
    Home of the Red Panda and Black Jack Justice

I just finished "Dust & Shadow" and would highly recommend that. I'm also currently reading through "Shadows over Baker Street", which is something of a cross over between Holmes and H.P. Lovecraft, and I'm enjoying that a lot.

I read Twain's "Double-Barreled Detective Story." While it does have Sherlock Holmes in it, I guess I wouldn't really call it a Holmes story. Holmes is revealed as a bit of a charleton in it. It is a good read, but be sure you're not expecting Doyle's Holmes.

On a different note, New Pulp author Barry Reese (The Rook, Lazarus Gray) has a Sherlock Holmes novel coming next year from Pro Se Press. I think that should be quite interesting.
    My Audio Drama Blog

Decoder Ring Theatre:
    Home of the Red Panda and Black Jack Justice

RIP Ronnie James Dio Deathstroke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Expletive Deleted View Post
    Laurie King's Mary Russell series, starting with The Beekeeper's Apprentice. It gets a little fanfic-ish at times, but it's worth a look.
    I love these books.
    I'm on Twitter

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.