Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Johns writes her a little more human. I think. You can relate to Johns WW.

Quote Originally Posted by flottanna View Post

I'm not sure what that means, but I can't "relate" to Wonder Woman or any other comic book hero/villain. I don't read for relating. I read for entertainment and visual arts.

I can relate to almost any half-decent character in fiction, from Batman to Gaius Baltar to Buffy The Vampire Slayer to Emperor Palpatine.

I can relate very well to most incarnation of Wonder Woman. Johns version in Justice League? That's noty even a character. There's nothing there to relate to. She's just a collection of cliches and cheesy lines.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

Quote Originally Posted by Rob_Olivera View Post
    I'm not sure what that means, but I can't "relate" to Wonder Woman or any other comic book hero/villain. I don't read for relating. I read for entertainment and visual arts.
    Do you know what "relating to" even means?
    Last edited by carabas; 12-14-2012 at 04:33 AM.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

Really? Disagree. I find Azz's WW quite human and can relate to her struggles.

BANNED

She reminded me more of the animated Starfire than any human I've ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessAmethyst View Post
    I figure they would be more in sync but they arent
    Actually not only WW but generally characterization in JL is bad, that is why I dropped. I wish they never made this version of JL.

You've cut some ones chest open to?

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    She reminded me more of the animated Starfire than any human I've ever seen.
    From the Teen Titans cartoon? I must've missed the episode in which she trashes a city block beating up her teamates...
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

Quote Originally Posted by dupersuper View Post
    From the Teen Titans cartoon? I must've missed the episode in which she trashes a city block beating up her teamates...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3aUDfJPZ6c#t=06m15s
    If hard work is not another name for talent, it is the best possible substitute for it.
    - James Garfield

Cool: I didn't know they'd done an origin episode. Still, they weren't her team mates yet, and she had an ever so slightly better excuse than Wondy.
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

Obviously, they are trying to do different things. Azz is going for a more grounded approach, and Johns is playing her up in more of a fun way. I honestly find Johns' use of her in JL as fairly cute, though I wish he'd reel it in a little more. The other League members characterizations have evened out some since that rocky origin story, but WW still feels a little stuck.

It's clear Azzarello is not paying attention to timelines and is telling his story. He dropped stuff in reimaginging her origin and taking his sweet time getting to it. I think Johns is trying to have more fun to fit the tone of JL and Diana is young and I thing makes sense she has to grapple with things and make mistakes. WW has always been a little in danger of being uptight, preachy and lacking in fun and spontaneity because she has been written so serious by many writers. Azzarello'w WW she seems pretty isolated to me even if she seems more controlled in her emotions. He says she is impulsive. I don't see it much there. I see that on JL. Her origin is someone who frankly doesn't seem like she had much fun as a kid but had lots of training to fight. God alone knows what she's doing in London and why she's even there and why she has no normal people as friends.

It's two different feels and while Azzarello's is a good story. It is a self contained story and while I can read it, I can't see that is all WW is about.
    Last edited by lariatofhestia; 12-28-2012 at 07:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by carabas View Post
    I can relate to almost any half-decent character in fiction, from Batman to Gaius Baltar to Buffy The Vampire Slayer to Emperor Palpatine.

I can relate very well to most incarnation of Wonder Woman. Johns version in Justice League? That's noty even a character. There's nothing there to relate to. She's just a collection of cliches and cheesy lines.
    I agree about Johns' writing completely (that's true for all characters in JL, I'd say), but dude, Gaius Baltar?

BANNED

The fish out of water angle is fine, but Johns is overdoing it. Something more in between that and Azzarello's would be ideal.

It was pretty ridiculous in that first arc, less fish out of water and more Jesus stuck in India or something. 'Hey, Mr. American Man! Do you know of ice cream!?!??!?!'