Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
    pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bluewing_A23 View Post
    Justice League #11
    I guess I just don't consider a swipe on the chest as "cutting open". I envision evisceration or disembowelment when I hear a person being "cut open". Not a minor flesh wound. But that's me. I prefer to not live in a world where where leaning on a lap = "lap dance" and a scratch on the chest = "cutting open a human being".
    Comics were happier before the Internet turned writing superhero stories into fruitless attempts to impress/entertain a small group of ppl who appear to hate comics and their creators.
    Grant Morrison

"A pet, Steve? This hairless rodent napping on your thigh's adorable, ..but, where are its eyes?"

Mel Dyer, Master Impressionist
    "I collect beings like him and cut them open--so I can hold in my hand what makes them tick."
    Cassandra on Orion of the New Gods (Wonder Woman #26)

U dont need my user title brettc1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Cheesesteak View Post
    I guess I just don't consider a swipe on the chest as "cutting open". I envision evisceration or disembowelment when I hear a person being "cut open". Not a minor flesh wound. But that's me. I prefer to not live in a world where where leaning on a lap = "lap dance" and a scratch on the chest = "cutting open a human being".
    I prefer not to live in country where somebody can come up and slash me across the chest with a two foot long knife and spray my blood over the sidewalk and then get off charges because it was only a scratch.

I guess Superman was worried she was going to "just scratch" him again.

What's more, and in the theme of the thread, Azzarello has her say in #2 that she uses a staff for play - the implication being she only uses the sword when she is in earnest. So what does that say about this scene with Hal.

Last edited by brettc1; 12-10-2012 at 12:58 AM.
    Irene Adler: “I would have you right here on this desk until you begged for mercy twice.”
    Sherlock: “I’ve never begged for mercy in my life.”
    Irene: “Twice.”

BANNED

Think what you are describing is; gutting.

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    Think what you are describing is; gutting.
    Yes, and thank goodness someone was able to interevene [and get kicked in the face for it] before it got to that stage.
    Irene Adler: “I would have you right here on this desk until you begged for mercy twice.”

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Yes, and thank goodness someone was able to interevene [and get kicked in the face for it] before it got to that stage.
    Thankfully I think I have proved on several occasions that my forehead is quite thick :D

What's going on in that second panel? Some rocks randomly explode?

Jim Lee's terrible and still getting worse.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

Quote Originally Posted by carabas View Post
    What's going on in that second panel? Some rocks randomly explode?

Jim Lee's terrible and still getting worse.
    I believe that is Wonder Woman showing her warrior discipline during her public beatdown of a teammate by landing with such force that it demolishes the street where an hour ago children were probably riding their bicycles.

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    Thankfully I think I have proved on several occasions that my forehead is quite thick :D
    I'm not sure that came out quite the way you intended.

CBR Mod/WW Section Mom Gaelforce's Avatar

More hyperbole I see... tell me what issue WW cut Hal open w/ her sword?
    Yeah, I gotta go with 'cut him open' on that one. The amount of blood in that scene is definitely not a scratch. He's not disemboweled (would have been if it had been a few inches lower) but that's a pretty deep cut (that was promptly ignored ;) )

Veteran Member

What's more, and in the theme of the thread, Azzarello has her say in #2 that she uses a staff for play - the implication being she only uses the sword when she is in earnest. So what does that say about this scene with Hal.
    Don't you love how we all tend to assume this kind of tight continuity between the books when it suits our arguments--so much so that an off-hand comments about her weapons preferences in one book can speak to her motivations in the other-- but otherwise seem them as very separate? I may be guilty of the same thing form time to time. )

Quote Originally Posted by slvn View Post
    Don't you love how we all tend to assume this kind of tight continuity between the books when it suits our arguments--so much so that an off-hand comments about her weapons preferences in one book can speak to her motivations in the other-- but otherwise seem them as very separate? I may be guilty of the same thing form time to time. )
    Hence my comment, "...in the theme of the thread..."

But it may please you to know it was only fresh in my mind because you mentioned it as an example of Azz's character writing. Apparently off hand comments can be significant, even when the person making them is ambidextrous.

I have to say while I love Azz's WW book, I hate JLA. It reads like a kiddie comic, and WW in it is far less mature than she is in the solo book. Say what you will about the changes in her world, but she still acts like WW, while the characters in the shown scene above and other pics I've seen seems more like Big Barda...

Quote Originally Posted by jabu46 View Post
    I have to say while I love Azz's WW book, I hate JLA. It reads like a kiddie comic, and WW in it is far less mature than she is in the solo book. Say what you will about the changes in her world, but she still acts like WW, while the characters in the shown scene above and other pics I've seen seems more like Big Barda...
    Big Barda has more character in her pinkie than all of Geoff Johns' League taken together...
    Jean Grey : What makes you such a bitch, Emma?
    Emma Frost : Breeding, darling. Top class breeding.

Veteran Member

Hence my comment, "...in the theme of the thread..."

But it may please you to know it was only fresh in my mind because you mentioned it as anafter reading #0, is example of Azz's character writing. Apparently off hand comments can be significant, even when the person making them is ambidextrous.
    Cool. The great thing about the Aleka-Wonder Woman scene in #2 retrospectively, now that we've read #0, is that it shows how Wonder Woman has continued to both accept and reject what War tAught her. War told her to only use a sword when she was ready to fight to the death, and she honors that teaching by not using the sword for sport--and she also employs War's teaching to use one's opponent's weapon in one's own favor, as she gets Aleka to turn her single staff into two; but what would War think of using a staff when one's opponent is using a sword, or of lending a hand to the defeated opponent who had been using a sword?

JL isn't going to reflect nuances like that, though. I imagine Azz and Johns agreed to emphasize Diana's warrior side, but to Azz that meant "Show that she lives by a complex warrior's code," and to Johns it meant "Have her wave her sword around a lot."
    Last edited by slvn; 12-13-2012 at 11:34 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Man From Room X View Post
    Big Barda has more character in her pinkie than all of Geoff Johns' League taken together...
    And if she's angry she wont cut the offender open, she'd use her bare hands :)