Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Default Why are Brian Azzerello and Geoff Johns WW so Differnt

I figure they would be more in sync but they arent

It is a mystery. The best I can rationalise it as is he's writing for an imaginary audience where the majority of them, rather than the actual ~3% have never read a comic book before, and that any kind of meaningful characterisation or plots would be too confusing for them.

To be fair Johns has a lot less room for characterization given that he's writing a team book...but yes the writing hasn't been that great on Justice League. Anyways while the two takes on Diana have been different I don't view them as irreconcilable. It's just one of those things that happen in comics when you have characters appearing in multiple books written by different people.

This is not a new thing. Diana has always been different in her own book than in the Justice League. As to why people are taking issue with this now is beyond me.

People are going on and on like they're reinventing the wheel here. Diana playing among her gods in her own book while more straight up super hero fare is being presented in the Justice League book. This is how it's been for at least the past 40 years, even more so with Perez' relaunch after Crisis.
    Freedom is merely the ability to live without fear of persecution.

They aren't really out of sync with each other, atleast regarding the character of WW. In fact in this podcast Azzarello claims Geoff Johns consulted him on the character on WW and her behaviour towards so and so situations.
    Jean Grey : What makes you such a bitch, Emma?
    Emma Frost : Breeding, darling. Top class breeding.

BANNED

Honestly I think the only scene that felt like a disconnect from the Azz Wonder Woman was when she got violent towards the team in the Graves arc. But even that can be explained that she was hysterical and snapped under pressure.

Azzarello's WW is intuitive, compassionate, forgiving, and improvisational. The earlier JL issues made her more warrior-minded but the latest issues are more consistent. Maybe Geoff read up Azz's run enough to get a better grasp.
    my artwork

What if a child dreamed of becoming something other than what society had intended? What if a child aspired to something greater? Man of Steel

U dont need my user title brettc1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    Honestly I think the only scene that felt like a disconnect from the Azz Wonder Woman was when she got violent towards the team in the Graves arc. But even that can be explained that she was hysterical and snapped under pressure.
    Yeah, but for Wonder Woman to get hysterical and put innocent lives in danger IS out of character.

And I cant by into the team book argument. That to me suggests the writer has an event in mind and cant make it work unless he writes the character completely against their nature in their own book.

I'm sure in the interests of politics Azzarello is supportive of Johns but then on the other hand he has said point blank he is not going to use the Superman/WW relationship in any way. I think Azzarello makes a decent attempt to write WW as per her previous nature most of the time, where Johns wants a barbarian princess to contrast the rest of his ensemble so he writes that whether it fits the character or not.

As far as JL is concerned the scene with Cheetah at the start of #13 was good but 11 and 12 were woeful. Azzarello's Diana goes to a bar and listens to music to deal with her emotions while Johns version gives Superman a lap dance.
    Irene Adler: “I would have you right here on this desk until you begged for mercy twice.”
    Sherlock: “I’ve never begged for mercy in my life.”
    Irene: “Twice.”

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Yeah, but for Wonder Woman to get hysterical and put innocent lives in danger IS out of character.

And I cant by into the team book argument. That to me suggests the writer has an event in mind and cant make it work unless he writes the character completely against their nature in their own book.

I'm sure in the interests of politics Azzarello is supportive of Johns but then on the other hand he has said point blank he is not going to use the Superman/WW relationship in any way. I think Azzarello makes a decent attempt to write WW as per her previous nature most of the time, where Johns wants a barbarian princess to contrast the rest of his ensemble so he writes that whether it fits the character or not.
    While it's possible Azz doesn't like the relationship altogether, I think Superman would be out of place in his book anyway. Wonder Woman isn't that much of a superhero/DCU book. It's self-contained not only character wise, but also stylistically and genre. To put a sci-fi alien would take me out of the comic.

As far as JL is concerned the scene with Cheetah at the start of #13 was good but 11 and 12 were woeful. Azzarello's Diana goes to a bar and listens to music to deal with her emotions while Johns version gives Superman a lap dance.
    Wait what?

BANNED

The short explanation I can come up with is that Brian and Geoff are two writers who are used to doing things their way and fully expect other people to follow their lead.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    While it's possible Azz doesn't like the relationship altogether, I think Superman would be out of place in his book anyway. Wonder Woman isn't that much of a superhero/DCU book. It's self-contained not only character wise, but also stylistically and genre. To put a sci-fi alien would take me out of the comic.
    And that's fine. My point was not that he should turn up [though a mention would make sense] but rather that Azz is doing things his way, no matter what Johns has in mind. What people say in the media and what they think privately of another professionals work are not always the same. Professional courtesy dictates you dont trash your colleagues work in public.

Wait what?
    She's on his lap rubbing up against him. I call this a lapdance.

Irene Adler: “I would have you right here on this desk until you begged for mercy twice.”

BANNED

And that's fine. My point was not that he should turn up [though a mention would make sense] but rather that Azz is doing things his way, no matter what Johns has in mind. What people say in the media and what they think privately of another professionals work are not always the same. Professional courtesy dictates you dont trash your colleagues work in public.
    Which is a good thing anyway. Too many books in DC/Marvel get tainted in too much editorial influence. Journey Into Mystery by Gillen was by far the best thing Marvel had done in years, and it got bogged down in stupid crossovers.

Kind of supports the idea that gets thrown around about her costume looking like a stripper.

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

I think you need to kiss girls more. Or get more lap dances. There is a difference.

As for the bar dancing, didn't WW not even want to go/enjoy it initially? It's not like she's suddenly become some groupie stripper like you make her off to be. But however you want to skew it for yourself, by all means.
    Comics were happier before the Internet turned writing superhero stories into fruitless attempts to impress/entertain a small group of ppl who appear to hate comics and their creators.
    Grant Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Cheesesteak View Post
    I think you need to kiss girls more. Or get more lap dances. There is a difference.
    If I read your statement correctly, then I must defer to your apparently greater experience in the latter. Nevertheless, I will pass your suggestions on to the EverQueen. Her response should be... interesting.

As for the bar dancing, didn't WW not even want to go/enjoy it initially? It's not like she's suddenly become some groupie stripper like you make her off to be. But however you want to skew it for yourself, by all means.
    Your facts, or possibly you interpretation of my intentions, are in error. Diana wanted to go the the bar and enjoy the music. That is actually a good thing. Obviously she did not go to act like a stripper, she went to deal with her emotions in a surrounding that helped her to do so. A far better response than sitting on Superman's lap.
    Last edited by brettc1; 11-20-2012 at 01:54 AM.

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

Your facts, or possibly you interpretation of my intentions, are in error. Diana wanted to go the the bar and enjoy the music. That is actually a good thing. Obviously she did not go to act like a stripper, she went to deal with her emotions in a surrounding that helped her to do so. A far better response than sitting on Superman's lap.
    ahh I see. I thought you weren't a fan of either portrayals of her. And yeah, I had only remembered her wanting to leave (after Strife cramped her style).

As for what's the better way to handle your emotions, well, one could argue that sharing an emotional moment w/ an individual can be considered better than surrounding yourself in a crowd to do an activity in order to overlook your emotions. We need to ask Rafa-Rivas-2099!
    Comics were happier before the Internet turned writing superhero stories into fruitless attempts to impress/entertain a small group of ppl who appear to hate comics and their creators.
    Grant Morrison