Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Off wit her head, ha! I love Sif, (thank you Jms) and everything about this issue...

Great art with some beautiful coloring, wity dialogue with a touch of maturity to it...

J.I.M continue's to impress, and show that Thor's supporting character's are stars in their own right...

I thought the stuffed doll was a nice nod to Betta Ray Bill, I wouldn't mind seeing him as a reacuring supporting character for Sif in this book...

Can't wait for issue #2...
    Last edited by agent_graves; 11-22-2012 at 10:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Kuwanger View Post
    She sees Asgard in a continuous cycle of ruin and in the process the children are losing their Asgardian identity (the book/library thing was on the nose but well handled, I think). Asgard is its history and Sif is what she knows and loves; Asgard. She is also a knowledgeable and fierce warrior, so she sets out to make herself a better Sif and in turn bring Asgard up with her.

I have to admit a LOT of my interest centers on earth-bound stories, but a good writer can certainly handle both locations and that's gonna be a key to making Sif work, since unlike Thor, she is all the way Asgardian at heart.
    That's interesting... I guess I had some mental block with the character this issue. Also, I was more confused than I thought about the Asgardians after Everything Burns. Anyways I was expecting something a bit different. I want the book to succeed-- the twist will keep me going for another issue-- but it needs to improve quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldgeller View Post
    . . . I was expecting something a bit different. I want the book to succeed-- the twist will keep me going for another issue-- but it needs to improve quickly.
    This is how I feel. . .
    Square City Comics - Come check us out!

I gave it a try, and it doesn't have as much Kathryn Immonen-ness to it as one would expect... but it didn't grab me, at all. I was bored and just didn't care. Won't be back.

Is there a reason this book didn't renumber?
    I'm guessing JiM is now going to be a book about Thor's ensemble cast in general. We've had Loki, we now have Sif, and when Sif's run is done JiM will then move on to Valkyrie or the W3 or something. JiM will about about anyone who isn't Thor.

She sees Asgard in a continuous cycle of ruin and in the process the children are losing their Asgardian identity (the book/library thing was on the nose but well handled, I think)
    I'll be thrilled if this the main theme. I'm just hoping it digs a bit deeper than Sif just "levelling up" as a warrior, so to speak.

I like comics

Quote Originally Posted by wolfbird View Post
    I'm guessing JiM is now going to be a book about Thor's ensemble cast in general. We've had Loki, we now have Sif, and when Sif's run is done JiM will then move on to Valkyrie or the W3 or something. JiM will about about anyone who isn't Thor.
    It's a much better strategy than doing miniseries and one-shots, methinks.

The issue was very good. Amazing art and a great story with a last page that left me wanting more. It will be interesting to see where this goes.

The high issue number is not an issue for me. I'm one of those guys that actually prefers the high numbers and am sad that DC tossed them all away though logically I know it means nothing. I gave the book a skim at the store and was instantly hooked on the art and that Sif gives me that Barda fix that DC can't or won't.

I'm also glad that Marvel kept the price point at $2.99. I am stubborn enough that I refuse to pay $3.99 for 20 pages (or less!) of story so this will slot in nicely next to Hawkeye and Daredevil. Now, just to get caught up on all of the Kid Loki issues...
    Who wants to save the world? That's what misers do...

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_Alternate View Post
    Thanks!

Also, this was a fun issue. I love Sif from the Simonson run and I like the wit on display here. The art is great. On board for this first arc at least.
    The Circumstances at the End

Top 10: Astro City, Captain America, East of West, Hawkeye, Lazarus, New Avengers, Saga, Thor: God of Thunder, Wonder Woman, Zero

Optic Blast, Optic Blast B. Kuwanger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wolfbird View Post

I'll be thrilled if this the main theme. I'm just hoping it digs a bit deeper than Sif just "levelling up" as a warrior, so to speak.
    Immonen did say here that she wants to also get into Sif as a leader, some particularly unexplored relationships, and what she can do for Asgard. She's right in that, especially now, Sif is a pretty blank slate.

And I don't think I could have written a better review myself.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Kuwanger View Post
    She sees Asgard in a continuous cycle of ruin and in the process the children are losing their Asgardian identity (the book/library thing was on the nose but well handled, I think). Asgard is its history and Sif is what she knows and loves; Asgard. She is also a knowledgeable and fierce warrior, so she sets out to make herself a better Sif and in turn bring Asgard up with her.

I have to admit a LOT of my interest centers on earth-bound stories, but a good writer can certainly handle both locations and that's gonna be a key to making Sif work, since unlike Thor, she is all the way Asgardian at heart.
    I enjoyed the subtle implications of Asgardian assimilation to Midgard culture.

I am not too familiar with the character but I wanted to give the book a chance because of the art (pencils, inks & colors were great IMHO), the book had a new jump on point and I wanted to give a Katheryn Immonen book a read. I enjoyed the language, and the obscure road Sif might be treading in order to gain "true victory" for Asgard in the plot. There was some dry wit exchanges by the maiden and Sif that had me grinning. I will definitely give this book a chance, it just found it's way on my pull list.
    Organic Underground Hip Hop
    http://boombits.bandcamp.com
    Http://soundcloud.com/boombits
    @boom_bits (IG & Twitter)

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_Alternate View Post
    Yeah I will be taking one of those if you dont mind.

As for the issue....I LOVED it!!!Sif's so cool!!!

I think this book was even better after a second read through.

I had less of an issue with the scene jumps, and I feel like I got a better understanding of Sif as a character. She's a strong warrior, proud and fierce. She lives by the sword, for the blood and glory of combat and conquering ones foes. She's loyal to Asgard and its people to a fault. She lives for Asgard and lives to die for Asgard. She sees her and Asgard as one. She dislikes the taint of Midgard seeping into her world. She dislikes how the Asgard she knows pales in comparison to the mighty Asgard she grew up reading about in the tomes in the library. She wonders how Asgard, and by extension herself, could be so weak. So she ventures off on not only on a quest for power, but also one of self-discovery.

At first, I wasn't sure Immonen had given us a good enough hook. I mean the last page is a great page, yet I couldn't fully commit to the story the first time around. After reading again, I see it as Sif having to struggle with the Berserker curse and deciding what is best for Asgard and consequently, herself. Is vanquishing one's enemies worth losing oneself to unending bloodlust and hunger for battle? It's an internal conflict rather than another bad guy of the week, and I like that. Of the female-led first issues I read in the recent Marvel/DC relaunches, I think this one was the most enjoyable.

As for the art, Schiti and Bellaire give us an Asgard that's vibrant and colorful. I tend to prefer this kind of art in my superhero comics and am excited to see what other visual treats they bring us. I immensely enjoyed the latter 2/3s of the book with the Nidhogg and the Teacher, who I hope makes more appearances in the future. spoilers:
    Even if just as a talking head, I really hope she's not down for the count considering how easily she handled Sif just prior and the blissful smile on her face before she was beheaded. Whether neutral or bad, I think she could be an interesting addition to Marvel's Asgard.
    end of spoilers

I'm in for the long haul.
    Currently reading She-Hulk, Deadpool, Swamp Thing, Ms. Marvel

Probation: Ghost Rider, Loki: LoA, Secret Avengers

Looking forward to All-New Ultimates, Flash Gordon and Doctor Mirage.

I too found it a stronger read on a second go round. The narrative felt distractingly jagged at first, but prepared for this, a second read was smoother and I caught things that had slipped by me.

I'll be back next month.
    PrettyDeadly/WonderWoman/FBP/Velvet/Revival/Lazarus/EastofWest/ManhattanProjects/Fatale/Alex+Ada/Rat Queens/Saga/Bandette/HighCrimes/Red Sonja/RachelRising/Ghost/Zero/Veil/Cap. Marvel/She Hulk/Magneto

Optic Blast, Optic Blast B. Kuwanger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherUnitNo_4 View Post
    She dislikes the taint of Midgard seeping into her world
    Though it doesn't make her hostile. She did use the Bloody Cairn's flashlight.

And yeah that smile on Aerndis' face...

This comic is Marvels response to the success of DC's Wonder Woman right ?