Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Anti-Matter Eyes Eternal Torment's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chrosis View Post
    He built a secret research facility under the White House. Because that's Umbrella's real speciality- sprawling underground complexes built without anyone noticing.

But the games make no sense because Umbrella has unlimited funds, investors, etc. with no real explanation as to why. Also scientists keep experimenting on their families even though there are plenty of homeless and desperate people to take advantage of.

The movies actually make more sense than the games, but again, the unlimited funding for superbases underneath metropolitan Tokyo built with nobody the wiser really confuses me.
    Well, Umbrella was a really successful pharmaceutical company. Even with the virus research and the like going on behind the scenes, they were making a killing off of their legitimate products. This applied in both movies and games, IIRC. Less explainable in the movies because of post-apoc. Maybe they started printing Umbrella dollars for their employees to use, since the actual economy must have shattered.

As for the family experimentation, I remember that it was the scientists experimented on the families of other employees, not their own. Probably bad writing, or Spencer's crazy being made into company policy. Guy never actually cared for profit, after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Eternal Torment View Post
    Well, Umbrella was a really successful pharmaceutical company. Even with the virus research and the like going on behind the scenes, they were making a killing off of their legitimate products. This applied in both movies and games, IIRC. Less explainable in the movies because of post-apoc. Maybe they started printing Umbrella dollars for their employees to use, since the actual economy must have shattered.

As for the family experimentation, I remember that it was the scientists experimented on the families of other employees, not their own. Probably bad writing, or Spencer's crazy being made into company policy. Guy never actually cared for profit, after all.
    You just summarized the entire Resident Evil franchise.
    ~Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a man of wealth and taste. I've been around for a long, long, year, stole many a man's soul and faith.

So if you meet me, have some courtesy, have some sympathy, and some taste. Use all your well-learned politesse, or I'll lay your soul to waste.

I made Miburo cry on his birthday.

Reached Demon-God Status

My Cat Is Afraid of the Vacuum Cleaner

Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    Chrosis--you are a GOD!:D
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretch Dude View Post
    Curses! CURRRRSEEEEESSSS!!!

You just summarized the entire Resident Evil franchise.
    Hey, at least it's entertainingly bad most of the time.

Like RE5 Wesker. Pretty much crapped on him as a character, yet he became so cheesy that it was hilarious.

But the games make no sense because Umbrella has unlimited funds, investors, etc. with no real explanation as to why.
    It's actually pretty well explained why. Namely the part where they're a giant international company with several perfectly legal branches.
    Also scientists keep experimenting on their families even though there are plenty of homeless and desperate people to take advantage of.
    Aside from the Ashford, who are specifically nutcases and lived in Antartica, who did that?

Keeping in mind that Birkin didn't, having only injected himself as a last screw you before he died.
    Suffering is a fact of life. You survive if you find a reason to endure it.

Are we talking movies or games?

Because both make no sense, but they make different kinds of no sense.
    Games. Feel free to attempt to explain why something that can infect every single life on the planet wouldn't horribly screw over everything if released in a non-contained environment.

To elaborate, things that the T-Virus can infect:
    Plants, animals. All of them.
    And the part that really screws over everything is that they can all be infected by the same strain of the virus, so it can pass freely from one to the other.
    It can also spread through water to an unspecified degree and can become airborne for an unspecified amount of time.

There is literally no possible comparison with anything in the real world. If one guy gets infected, then it can be contained.
    If you destroy the corpse before anything else gets infected.
    A crow pecks out a piece of his flesh? Crow's infected. And so is anything that it bites, and then anything that eats it or anything that it bit and so.
    A worm feast on his corpse? Worm is infested and so is the bird that will eventually eat it. See above afterward.

The fact that an entire city got infested and that not a single infected organism got out of the lockdown is evidence that Umbrella either erected a magical barrier around the place, is impossibly lucky or is ruled by the President of Madagascar.

Quote Originally Posted by Siriel View Post
    Games. Feel free to attempt to explain why something that can infect every single life on the planet wouldn't horribly screw over everything if released in a non-contained environment.
    Because Dr. Strange, Tony, and Reed would get their shit together and fix it.

If they can mindwipe the planet in a matter of moments with a combination of magic and nanotechnology, they can mass distribute a cure to a manufactured zombie virus.
    ~Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a man of wealth and taste. I've been around for a long, long, year, stole many a man's soul and faith.

So if you meet me, have some courtesy, have some sympathy, and some taste. Use all your well-learned politesse, or I'll lay your soul to waste.

Reached Demon-God Status

Because Dr. Strange, Tony, and Reed would get their shit together and fix it.

If they can mindwipe the planet in a matter of moments with a combination of magic and nanotechnology, they can mass distribute a cure to a manufactured zombie virus.
    Ah, I see.

You misread what ET said.

Actually, given the ridiculous infectivity of T-Virus, I think it was noted by somebody (I think it was Siriel) that one vial of it being broken in a public space would be enough to fuck up the real world.
    Yeah, Marvel can deal with it. (Not Tony and not Current Strange, but Reed and whatever magical doctor or reality warper is available, sure.)

There's a voice, that keeps on calling me....

Yeah, Marvel can deal with it. (Not Tony and not Current Strange, but Reed and whatever magical doctor or reality warper is available, sure.)
    Colossus would just die again, and then inexplicably return once it was all cleared up.

After Sean Bean and Michael Biehn had died, of course.
    Yes, I know the voices aren't real. But they do have some VERY good ideas....

Ah, I see.

In the mindwipe scenario, Tony provided the nanomachines while Strange and Reed actually did the hard stuff.

I think, I'm not sure.

But Umbrella originally made the T-Virus as a biological weapon, right? What good is a biological weapon that ends all life on the planet?

Reached Demon-God Status

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    Colossus would just die again, and then inexplicably return once it was all cleared up.

After Sean Bean and Michael Biehn had died, of course.
    What are you talking about? Sean Bean never dies in his movies.

:P

Ah, I see.

Undoubtedly, although I think it'd be a little harder to deal with if the infection ws widespread in the beginning, like a ship full of T-Virus breaking open in an ocean.

So to speak.
    "Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice!"
    Fiction is a fickle thing. It all depends on the next word that is written.
    “The power to do good is also the power to do harm.” — Milton Friedman

In the mindwipe scenario, Tony provided the nanomachines while Strange and Reed actually did the hard stuff.

I think, I'm not sure.

But Umbrella originally made the T-Virus as a biological weapon, right? What good is a biological weapon that ends all life on the planet?
    Assume Wesker puts those plans on hold.
    "Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice!"
    Fiction is a fickle thing. It all depends on the next word that is written.
    “The power to do good is also the power to do harm.” — Milton Friedman

But Umbrella originally made the T-Virus as a biological weapon, right?
    In a vague sense. They were experimenting on the Progenitor virus and trying to make something out of it
    Somehow they ended up with a virus that could infect anything and brought people back as zombies and they figured "Hey, we can probably develop something from that".
    What good is a biological weapon that ends all life on the planet?
    That would be why Umbrella never actually used the thing themselves and spent their time developing more potent but less infectuous variants.

In a vague sense. They were experimenting on the Progenitor virus and trying to make something out of it
    Somehow they ended up with a virus that could infect anything and brought people back as zombies and they figured "Hey, we can probably develop something from that".

That would be why Umbrella never actually used the thing themselves and spent their time developing more potent but less infectuous variants.
    It's funny that Umbrella was more reserved than future enemies when it came to biological weapons.

For one, they didn't try to infect everybody in the world like Wesker and later Radames did.