Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 46
  1. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    4,247

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by J. Robb View Post
    Or, you know, you could just not watch it...
    Yeah. I agree with this. SNL is pretty hit or miss and I'm usually out and about on Saturdays, but it's nice to know that it's there as on the chance I am at home, I can catch it. I watched the Bruno Mars episode and it was surprisingly good. Also there is usually nothing else worth watching in its time slot.
    "Cyclops is gonna fry for what he did. Can't wait!" - Cancerous

  2. #17
    BANNED Phil Clark's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    St. Charles, Mo
    Posts
    5,114

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by J. Robb View Post
    Or, you know, you could just not watch it...
    As a rule, I don't. But when an article or a thread like this highlight a skit that might be good, I watch that skit to see if maybe that skit that is about something I might enjoy would be worth watching. So far I have been sorely disappointed.

  3. #18
    Senior Member hulahulk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    1,334

    Default

    That was horrible. At least they could have learned SOME of their lines beforehand.

    Where's Churchlady when you need her/him?

  4. #19
    Senior Member SephirothDZX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,909

    Default

    That was a pretty boring segment. None of the actors even looked interested in the skit.
    Eh, Comics is a pretty cool guy...

  5. #20
    Astral God Surtur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    26,400

    Default

    I was also puzzled by the large Hulk fist. I get that the skit was meant to be funny, but why was his hand so large? I could see if they didn't have anyone playing Hulk, but they did..so why not just have the guy hand the thing to Hawkeye?

    Unless was it supposed to be a joke on how different versions of Hulk tend to be different sizes?
    A woman can move a lot faster with her skirt up than a man can with his pants down.

  6. #21
    Veteran Member Simbob4000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    6,955

    Default

    How could the size thing confuse anyone? It's a comedy sketch, and his size isn't consistent throughout the whole thing; one shot he's the same size they are, in another he's clearly meant to be bigger (they're using midgets for the Chitauri), then his fist is the size of Hawkeye, and then he's throwing around a Hawkeye dummy the same size as him with the same little Chitauri around.

  7. #22
    BANNED Phil Clark's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    St. Charles, Mo
    Posts
    5,114

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Surtur View Post
    ...Unless was it supposed to be a joke on how different versions of Hulk tend to be different sizes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Simbob4000 View Post
    How could the size thing confuse anyone? It's a comedy sketch, and his size isn't consistent throughout the whole thing; one shot he's the same size they are, in another he's clearly meant to be bigger (they're using midgets for the Chitauri), then his fist is the size of Hawkeye, and then he's throwing around a Hawkeye dummy the same size as him with the same little Chitauri around.
    I think both of you are giving SNL WAAAAAYYYY too much credit here. They aren't geek savvy enough to actually right something that intentional in the skit. The whole skit just felt like a bunch of guys trying to do a backyard parody of the Avengers, only it was less funny and less professionally done.

    Come to think of it, it would have been much funnier if the thing had started with a few people saying how they thought Avengers sucked, and then transition to their version of the Avengers. That could have been better. As it was... it was several minutes of my life that I will never get back. And after this, they should totally recast Hawkeye for the next film. Renner should be disowned after that monstrosity.

  8. #23
    Spam Hunter Conn Seanery's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 1997
    Location
    Montreal, QC
    Posts
    7,801

    Default

    It would have been funnier if they'd gone with a geek's vision of the Avengers instead of what was most likely the most prevalent thought in most non-comic reading people's minds ("He's just a guy with a bow")? You may not have liked the execution, but I think they definitely picked the right subject, especially since Renner was hosting.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Eddard Stark's other bastard

    "Metaphors? I hate metaphors! That's why my favorite book is Moby Dick. No frou-frou symbolism, just a good simple tale about a man who hates an animal." ~Ron Swanson

  9. #24
    BANNED Phil Clark's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    St. Charles, Mo
    Posts
    5,114

    Default

    The idea of the joke is fine. But it totally sucked. There was no comedic timing what-so-ever. No spark. Not even a laugh. Hell, I didn't even smile once during the skit. It was just painful to watch, and it looked as if the actors all felt the same way. It was just a complete and total miss. Not one beat of the skit hit right. They should all be given ten lashes.

  10. #25
    Veteran Member Simbob4000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    6,955

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Clark View Post
    I think both of you are giving SNL WAAAAAYYYY too much credit here. They aren't geek savvy enough to actually right something that intentional in the skit. The whole skit just felt like a bunch of guys trying to do a backyard parody of the Avengers, only it was less funny and less professionally done.

    Come to think of it, it would have been much funnier if the thing had started with a few people saying how they thought Avengers sucked, and then transition to their version of the Avengers. That could have been better. As it was... it was several minutes of my life that I will never get back. And after this, they should totally recast Hawkeye for the next film. Renner should be disowned after that monstrosity.
    Why? It's clearly the size thing is intentional, they show a guy who's maybe about six feet tall fighting Bill Hader as a Chitauri before showing Hulk fighting two midgets. They're clearly using short people to make the Hulk look bigger than the actor really was.

    How would a bunch of people standing around saying the Avengers suck had made it better? It wasn't about the Avengers sucking, it was about a guy who shoots arrows being out of place on the team...and how the Avengers wouldn't stop making stupid quips. Or do you mean the movie The Avengers, and not the team? Because it was about how the movie sucked.

  11. #26
    BANNED Phil Clark's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    St. Charles, Mo
    Posts
    5,114

    Default

    My basic point is that just about ANYTHING would have made this nearly unwatchable piece of drivel better. They pinned the whole skit on one lame joke that wasn't working from its inception. Its lazy and dumb.

  12. #27
    Astral God Surtur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    26,400

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Simbob4000 View Post
    How could the size thing confuse anyone? It's a comedy sketch, and his size isn't consistent throughout the whole thing; one shot he's the same size they are, in another he's clearly meant to be bigger (they're using midgets for the Chitauri), then his fist is the size of Hawkeye, and then he's throwing around a Hawkeye dummy the same size as him with the same little Chitauri around.
    It's confusing because the giant hand kinda comes out of nowhere. Saying "it's a comedy sketch" really doesn't mean anything. What was supposed to be humorous about the large fist? Not to mention why is the chitauri being midgets supposed to be funny? When I saw they were small I thought it was supposed to show how they weren't much of a threat..not "look how funny it is that the Hulk keeps changing size".
    Last edited by Surtur; 11-20-2012 at 11:18 AM.
    A woman can move a lot faster with her skirt up than a man can with his pants down.

  13. #28
    Veteran Member Simbob4000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    6,955

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Surtur View Post
    It's confusing because the giant hand kinda comes out of nowhere. Saying "it's a comedy sketch" really doesn't mean anything. What was supposed to be humorous about the large fist? Not to mention why is the chitauri being midgets supposed to be funny? When I saw they were small I thought it was supposed to show how they weren't much of a threat..not "look how funny it is that the Hulk keeps changing size".
    I didn't say them being midgets was meant to be funny, it was just meant to show the Hulk was big...it's a scale thing.

  14. #29
    BANNED Phil Clark's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    St. Charles, Mo
    Posts
    5,114

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Simbob4000 View Post
    I didn't say them being midgets was meant to be funny, it was just meant to show the Hulk was big...it's a scale thing.
    But if it wasn't meant to be funny (on a skit comedy/variety show) then WHY DO IT?!? That is why it failed. Epically.

  15. #30
    Spam Hunter Conn Seanery's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 1997
    Location
    Montreal, QC
    Posts
    7,801

    Default

    Phil, we get that you don't like SNL, but take off the blinders. It's the same reason why they had the guy standing on a platform higher than the rest of the group in the opening shot, it's all just camera tricks to make the Hulk look bigger. The only size thing they used as an actual gag was the giant fist.

    And since when does every aspect of a comedy skit need to be funny? Do you complain when the "straight man" isn't funny?
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Eddard Stark's other bastard

    "Metaphors? I hate metaphors! That's why my favorite book is Moby Dick. No frou-frou symbolism, just a good simple tale about a man who hates an animal." ~Ron Swanson

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •