Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Clark View Post
    I think both of you are giving SNL WAAAAAYYYY too much credit here. They aren't geek savvy enough to actually right something that intentional in the skit. The whole skit just felt like a bunch of guys trying to do a backyard parody of the Avengers, only it was less funny and less professionally done.

Come to think of it, it would have been much funnier if the thing had started with a few people saying how they thought Avengers sucked, and then transition to their version of the Avengers. That could have been better. As it was... it was several minutes of my life that I will never get back. And after this, they should totally recast Hawkeye for the next film. Renner should be disowned after that monstrosity.
    Wow, overreact much? This is the first time I've ever heard someone call for an actor to be "recast and disowned" for daring to host SNL, why don't we just kill him while we're at it? You do know that Renner most likely didn't have anything to do with the writing of that skit, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Conn Seanery View Post
    Phil, we get that you don't like SNL, but take off the blinders. It's the same reason why they had the guy standing on a platform higher than the rest of the group in the opening shot, it's all just camera tricks to make the Hulk look bigger. The only size thing they used as an actual gag was the giant fist.

And since when does every aspect of a comedy skit need to be funny? Do you complain when the "straight man" isn't funny?
    No, I complain when the whole freakin' skit isn't funny. And when every actor in it looks like they are embarrassed to be doing it. There had to be three blown or mis-delivered lines in the 2 minute bit. The show was funny in it's hay-day. But its a dinosaur now.

And FYI, Bud Abbott is probably one of the most famous straight men in comedy history, and he was freakin' hilarious. So there.

Quote Originally Posted by kmeyers View Post
    Wow, overreact much? This is the first time I've ever heard someone call for an actor to be "recast and disowned" for daring to host SNL, why don't we just kill him while we're at it? You do know that Renner most likely didn't have anything to do with the writing of that skit, right?
    Really? Guests have nothing to do with the writing on SNL? Well DUH!!!!!

Maybe if he had been involved the skit wouldn't have tanked.

Really? Guests have nothing to do with the writing on SNL? Well DUH!!!!!
    Then why are you calling for Renner's head on a platter and acting like the bad skit is somehow all his fault, and he needs to pay for what he did?

Maybe if he had been involved the skit wouldn't have tanked.
    Why? Because he's such a great proven comedic writer?

He couldn't be any worse that the current writers. And his performance was total crap. He fumbled over his lines, wasn't acting at all like he wanted to be there, just like all the other cast members in that skit. So I withdraw the call for his head. He was no worse than the others.

No, I complain when the whole freakin' skit isn't funny. And when every actor in it looks like they are embarrassed to be doing it. There had to be three blown or mis-delivered lines in the 2 minute bit. The show was funny in it's hay-day. But its a dinosaur now.
    Sounds more like your dislike of SNL is giving you extra incentive to complain, and at ridiculous lengths (see: every reply in this thread). There's no reason you shouldn't have been able to figure out on your own that the tricks they were using to make the Hulk look bigger than he (the actor) was weren't necessarily done for comedic purposes.

And FYI, Bud Abbott is probably one of the most famous straight men in comedy history, and he was freakin' hilarious. So there.
    I didn't say straight men can never be funny, but the role is traditionally meant to make other people appear funnier. As I said, not everything in a skit needs to be geared towards laughs.

It's just that with your attitude toward SNL in general affecting your judgment, you'd probably complain that the debris used in the background of the skit wasn't funny enough.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Eddard Stark's other bastard

"Metaphors? I hate metaphors! That's why my favorite book is Moby Dick. No frou-frou symbolism, just a good simple tale about a man who hates an animal." ~Ron Swanson

And the guests do have a say in what does and doesn't make it on the show. If Renner didn't want that Avengers skit to make the cut, it wouldn't have.
    Conn Seanery

"Metaphors? I hate metaphors! That's why my favorite book is Moby Dick. No frou-frou symbolism, just a good simple tale about a man who hates an animal." ~Ron Swanson

And the guests do have a say in what does and doesn't make it on the show. If Renner didn't want that Avengers skit to make the cut, it wouldn't have.
    Oh, I know that. I was just saying he likely had little to no involvement in the actual writing of it though. So blaming him for it being bad is kind of silly.

And considering how huge of a movie The Avengers was, it would be weird not to do some kind of sketch about it.

Sounds more like your dislike of SNL is giving you extra incentive to complain...
    No. YOu don't get it. I don't either like or dislike SNL. I have seen better stuff out of the Scary Movie, Date Movie, etc... series of films than this abortion of a skit. It has nothing to do with judgement. This skit just wasn't funny. And on a show that is supposed to be the best and brightest of the comedy world, it is a severe letdown after the highs we had in the 80's with Chevy Chase, Lorraine Newman, Dan Ackroyd, John Belushi, Father Guido Sarduci, etc... Even some of the early 90's stuff was good. But once the original group moved on to bigger things in movies... SNL just hasn't been able to find a consistent vision. Sorry if you don't like my opinion. But it is my right to have and state it. Hopefully without members (and particularly co-admins) going to extremes of saying I would complain about the debris used in the skit not being funny.

Aren't you better than that?

Long Live the Legion Zero Hunter's Avatar

Thats just old man bullshit. The original cast had just as many clunker sketches as any other cast after them. There have been many guys over the years that were better than the orignal group so to say the same old "it aint been funny since the originals left" is wrong on every level.

No. YOu don't get it. I don't either like or dislike SNL. I have seen better stuff out of the Scary Movie, Date Movie, etc... series of films than this abortion of a skit. It has nothing to do with judgement. This skit just wasn't funny. And on a show that is supposed to be the best and brightest of the comedy world, it is a severe letdown after the highs we had in the 80's with Chevy Chase, Lorraine Newman, Dan Ackroyd, John Belushi, Father Guido Sarduci, etc... Even some of the early 90's stuff was good. But once the original group moved on to bigger things in movies... SNL just hasn't been able to find a consistent vision. Sorry if you don't like my opinion. But it is my right to have and state it. Hopefully without members (and particularly co-admins) going to extremes of saying I would complain about the debris used in the skit not being funny.

Aren't you better than that?
    Yeah, that was my first thought when I read your replies. You had a very neutral opinion about it, what with calling for the show to end, complaining about the performances, the jokes, timing, seeming purposefully obtuse about their attempts to make the Hulk look bigger than normal, calling for Renner to be "disavowed" from future Avengers films, etc... no real stake in it.

You overreacted, Phil. It shouldn't be too surprising that anyone would conclude you vehemently dislike the show based on your comments in this thread.
    Conn Seanery

And this clip is yet another example of why SNL needs to just go away. This should have been comic gold, and instead they give us lame jokes and sight gags. And the actors all look like they are bored and embarrassed to be there doing that skit. SNL has failed at being funny for far too long. It is time for it to go the way of the dodo.
    Yes, this was terrible. SNL has not been funny for at least 20 years if not longer.
    This signature will self-destruct in five seconds...

Quote Originally Posted by coldwarmyth View Post
    Yes, this was terrible. SNL has not been funny for at least 20 years if not longer.
    Yeah Phil Hartman, Mike Myers, Dana Carvey, Will Ferrell, Tina Fey, Kristen Wiig, Darell Hammond, Norm MacDonald.....what a bunch of unfunny wastes.
    "Cyclops is gonna fry for what he did. Can't wait!" - Cancerous

Quote Originally Posted by MagSeven View Post
    Yeah Phil Hartman, Mike Myers, Dana Carvey, Will Ferrell, Tina Fey, Kristen Wiig, Darell Hammond, Norm MacDonald.....what a bunch of unfunny wastes.
    Yeah, I know, what a bunch of unfunny hacks. Sure Norm MacDonald was the best person to ever do Weekend Update, but that sucked or something I guess. That show hasn't been funny since the last time I watched it on a regular basis...is a thing often said by people.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Thats just old man bullshit. The original cast had just as many clunker sketches as any other cast after them. There have been many guys over the years that were better than the orignal group so to say the same old "it aint been funny since the originals left" is wrong on every level.
    Did I say that it ain't been funny since the originals left? No. What I said was...

...once the original group moved on to bigger things in movies... SNL just hasn't been able to find a consistent vision...
    That doesn't discount the momentary gems, the occasional brilliant skit... but more often then not the newer casts miss the mark (IMO).

But this is after all just a matter of opinion, and it is an opinion shared by others, so I am not really out on the fringe in this.