Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The Further Adventures of...

I was originally just going to pm dan bailey about this, but then I realized there's the potential for an interesting thread here. I was going through some stuff today to get some information about Sgt. Fury #100 when I stumbled upon something really interesting: The foreign editions of Sgt. Fury.

Namely, Mexico had a long-running Sgt. Fury series called El Sargento Furia. As you can imagine, it contained reprints of Sgt. Fury. Later on, it also continaed reprints of Capt. Savage, alternating between the two series until Capt. Savage ended. All very cool, in a trivia sort of way.

Except... see, El Sargento Furia was weekly. And moreover, it remained popular even after Marvel had already cancelled Sgt. Fury. So it didn't take long for El Sargento Furia to finish reprinting the entire run of both Sgt. Fury and Captain Savage, which left the Mexican publisher in a bit of a bind. Of course, they could just start reprinting everything again, and indeed, they did begin running occasional reprints.

But with the book still selling, and with the entire run still fresh in readers minds since it was weekly, they decided to do something else: They began writing and drawing their own, brand new Sgt. Fury stories. And they kept doing them. For a long time.

I haven't been able to find exact details, but after looking at a few websites, it seems that El Sargento Furia published original Sgt. Fury stories in Spanish for at least 4 full years after Marvel stopped doing new Fury stories. And maybe longer; some sites suggest it may have been as much as 6 years. And with the series being weekly, that adds up to likely hundreds of original Spanish language Sgt. Fury stories that American audiences have never seen before.

Now, I don't know how long these stories are, or who wrote them or drew them or what they are about. But El Sargento Furia isn't the only foreign series to run into this. In Britain, for instance, both Star Wars and Transformers ran into the exact same problem and the U.K. publishers had the same solution, doing their own new tales which were often mixed in with the American reprints.

It makes for an interesting question: How many stories featuring our favorite characters were published overseas that we've never seen? And these aren't knockoffs, these are officially licensed publications. For the people who bought and read them overseas, they are just as legitimate and in continuity as our American originals.

I for one am really interested in seeing some of these comics and seeing what Fury and company were up to in the Mexican half of their run. If only I could read Spanish!

Anyone else know anything about this phenomenon?
    Last edited by Scott Harris; 11-19-2012 at 11:25 AM.
    At last, Boy Comics finally gets its own website!

Here's a sampling of some Sgt. Fury stories that were only published south of the border:

And here's a link to a partial index of them put together by a guy trying to build a complete run. Even he only has some of the issues, as they seem much rarer than their American counterparts. Note that the Sgt. Fury reprints stop around #110 but the series went at least through #320! And by some other accounts online, the series may have even lasted through #400, meaning there are likely thousands of pages of Sgt. Fury stories most Americans have never even heard of before.

of course, there are some reprints mixed in as well; on the page I liked to, you'll note that #251 and #252 are reprints. It's fascinating stuff.

Janus Stark. I wish those were reprinted somewhere (in an affordable form). But add it to the huge list - the majority of the comic art form - that copyright laws have effectively destroyed.

http://www.comicvine.com/janus-stark/29-6148/
    Stark enjoyed a four year run [1969-73] in British titles Smash! and then Valiant, and was reprinted in France in his own title, Janus Stark, whose pages also reprinted other British strips including Adam Eterno and Zarga. from 1973 to 1989. When the French title ran out of reprint material, it produced new stories of the adventurer, finally killing him off in #89 in May 1986

The Central Sca-rutinizer Pól Rua's Avatar

I'd kill for collections of Janus Stark.
    I enjoyed the recent Spider and Steel Claw HC reprints, but they both died after one volume. *sigh*
    So much glorious work out there and no way to get my mitts on it.
    "Loudly proclaiming that you are above childish things isn't a sign of maturity - it's proof of adolescence." - Schnitzy Pretzelpants

Co-host of The 'Mike & Pól Save The Universe' Comics podcast - check it out on www.mikeandpol.com

Quote Originally Posted by Pól Rua View Post
    I'd kill for collections of Janus Stark.
    I enjoyed the recent Spider and Steel Claw HC reprints, but they both died after one volume. *sigh*
    So much glorious work out there and no way to get my mitts on it.
    Hooray! I'm not alone! That gives me the idea for a new thread...

They call me Mr. Pip! the4thpip's Avatar

I know there was a handful of French Spider-Man comics, at least one of which was also translated into German and published here when I was a young teenager.

Not sure why they would do Spidey, when there was plenty of material available anyway.
    My blog.

We struggled against apartheid in South Africa, supported by people the world over, because black people were being blamed and made to suffer for something we could do nothing about; our very skins. It is the same with sexual orientation. It is a given.
    - Desmond Tutu

Getting married? Check http://www.fandgweddings.com/

I'm moderately sure that Marvel UK did some Hulk and Black Knight stories, as well as stuff with their own characters like Night Raven and Death's Head

This is slightly off from the original intent of my on thread, but whatever. Back in the 70's, Marvel U.K. introduced the weekly Captain Britain comic book. Someone along the way decided it would boost sales to have Captain Britain team up with Captain America. This led to a quite long and epic team-up where the two Caps defended London against an attack by the Red Skull.

It's a really cool, vintage mid-70's Captain America story that never appeared in print in America. It's now available in tpb form, or was a few years ago anyway; I picked up volume one of the Captain Britain collection when I was in London a few years ago. For Cap fans, it's a real unknown treat:

*choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

My world has just been shaken to its core. Not to mention my want list.

Which is to say (in so many words), "Mi mundo sólo ha sido sacudida a su núcleo. Por no mencionar mi lista."

(No, I don't read the language; marriage to a Spanish major did me no partcular good on that, or for that matter any other, front. I wound up taking Elementary Spanish & Intermediate French at the same time in college, & while I made A's both semesters, my ability to differentiate between the two took a hit.)
    Last edited by Dan B. in the Underworld; 11-20-2012 at 10:13 AM.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

You know what, I just had to buy some of these, so I did. I found a few on ebay at a price I normally wouldn't pay. but my curiosity got the better of me. Especially because one of the covers featured a really hot brunette wearing a micro-skirt -- which I don't remember being in vogue in the 40's -- attacking Fury with a giant sword.

It will likely be a couple weeks before I get these, but I'm considering scanning them and either trying to translate them or maybe just making up my own English dialogue based on the drawings.

Had to have it:

Note to self: Have Scott Harris bound & gagged before he can report on the existence of numerous Mexican-only Pagina-80 Gigantes, No Marco Ecches or even El Hermano Potencio Cretinos.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

I know for a long time, DC was creating extra Superman material just for the overseas markets. A few of those stories eventually got reprinted in America as "Superman Specials" in the '80s.
    -JKC-
    Glorianna - Barbarian adventure! New page every Friday!

I've been having trouble finding El Hermano Potencio Cretino #3 and 4. Can anyone help?

Clearly, I have a new arch-nemesis.

-- Reptisaurus!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Harris View Post
    It will likely be a couple weeks before I get these, but I'm considering scanning them and either trying to translate them or maybe just making up my own English dialogue based on the drawings.
    If you want to post the pages up here or email them to me, I can translate them. My Spanish is a bit rusty, but one of my best friends is fluent and currently living in Guanajuato. I'm sure she could help me where I get stuck.

Heck, I could probably reletter the pages given enough time.
    All-Star Western, Casanova, Criminal, Daredevil, Dark Horse Presents, Funnies, Hellboy/BPRD, King City, Orc Stain, Snarked, Unwritten, Usagi Yojimbo