Default Has there been any news on the Abe solo series?

I know awhile ago there was some talk about continuing the Abe Sapien solo series as a contemporary series parallel to B.P.R.D., similar to Hellboy. Has anything come of this? Has it even been brought up again?
    mod of r/TheDark, for news and discussion of The Dark line and related titles.

It's going to happen. Mike and I talked about it at the Montreal show a bit, they want to shift BPRD away from the superpowered guys. I seem to recall that Scott Allie would be helping write it.
    Strangebeard: It's not the size of the pirate in the fight, but the size of the fight in the pirate.

Thanks much for the reply

Quote Originally Posted by Man-Thing View Post
    I know awhile ago there was some talk about continuing the Abe Sapien solo series as a contemporary series parallel to B.P.R.D., similar to Hellboy. Has anything come of this? Has it even been brought up again?
    When Abe Sapien returns in 2013, it won't just be for one miniseries, it'll be for a series of miniseries, with Scott Allie as the lead writer, just like John Arcudi is the lead writer for B.P.R.D.. And, yes, it will be set parallel to the Hell on Earth stories. Dark Horse isn't ready to announce their plans for this yet though. There are a few surprises that need to be revealed first.

Part of the reason that so little has been said, is that they're changed their tactics a little bit with the promotion of this series. They'd prefer for people not to know it will be set in the modern era. Although, I guess we here on this forum are unlikely to forget that.
    Last edited by Middenway; 11-19-2012 at 07:28 PM.

I just hope that Abe Sapien gets collected in the same fashion as the BPRD Omnibus(bi?)!
    I think by now we already have enough minis for 1 volume:

Abe Sapien: Drums of the Dead (1 issue)
    Abe Sapien: The Drowning (5 issues)
    Abe Sapien: The Haunted Boy (1 issue)
    Abe Sapien: The Abyssal Plain (2 issues)
    Ape Sapien: The Devil Does Not Jest (2 issues)

11 books instead of the usual 15 but I'd like to see all this collected if there are plans to a new series!

Quote Originally Posted by DavidB. View Post
    I just hope that Abe Sapien gets collected in the same fashion as the BPRD Omnibus(bi?)!

11 books instead of the usual 15 but I'd like to see all this collected if there are plans to a new series!
    There's also BPRD: Casualties, which is a direct follow up to The Drowning.

Maybe not enough for a full Omnibus, but definitely enough for a Library Edition-sized volume.

Maybe not enough for a full Omnibus, but definitely enough for a Library Edition-sized volume.
    I was just using books with Abe Sapien on the tittle, but Casualties would fit there as well...
    I don't think they'll be doing a Library Edition with Abe though, if there is plans for a new series it makes more sense to use the same "template" as BPRD. It would be great to see The Drowning in a Library Edition sized book though!

Quote Originally Posted by DavidB. View Post

Drums of the Dead was already collected in BPRD Plague of Frogs - Volume 1. Besides, Abe Sapien has barely begun. I wouldn't expect any omnibus announcements for at least five years, if indeed they decide to collect them in this format at all.

What is "Casualties" ??

- Jan
    Support the "Collected Short-stories
    of Mike Mignola : Other Weird Tales"

Take a look at my Mike Mignola non-Hellboy Check-list

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Bentzen View Post
    What is "Casualties" ??
    Casualties was the last story drawn by Guy Davis to be published (though it was not actually the last one he drew. That was Gods). It was an eight-page digital exclusive that functioned as a bookend to both The Drowning and The Dead Remembered. It was collected in the trade B.P.R.D.: Being Human.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Tindall View Post
    It's going to happen. Mike and I talked about it at the Montreal show a bit, they want to shift BPRD away from the superpowered guys. I seem to recall that Scott Allie would be helping write it.
    Ah, because the stuff being up with those characters would pretty much be demanding a solo dynamic for them?

I could see that. Eventhough these characters have recently been slipping a little to the back of my mind I feel.
    But I could see them needing space, due to the stuff potentially in store for them.

Like how Liz would seem to have gotten more and more profoundly entangled into getting a grip over her power with also a number of enemies or adversaries engaging her within a meditative state or capacity?
    Although it might also be her being such a cool and wowingly womanly woman, which might have her needing to be fully coming to terms with herself and her dealing with her power in order to effectively get to be dealing with it or anything sort of?

Like how Abe and his unheard of physical capabilities would have made him come to be standing alone, as well as potentially having him being to reach some point of physical change if not some re-evolvement even?
    (Although I personally had this silly idea in my head, that Abe might get kidnapped by aliens for a while, covertly instead of the world knowing it, as if they'd have been investigating Langdon Caul as from the start perhaps, following him both as the experiment performed on him with interest, yet they would now choose to confide in him, with wanting to aid or guide him, depending on whether they'd be to be trusted. And that their ace in the hole would be a long lost friend, being Roger!
    Since he wouldn't be a homunculus for nothing: new puppet, same old Roger inside - or would he be...?
    Which won't happen of course, just that it seemed pretty cool to me, like if Rasputin wouldn't be coming back that Roger would or might, just to mix it up. Plus Roger and Abe seem linked for both of them seeming doctored or existentially fiddled with, to which any alien kidnapping would also be adding for Abe I'd think.)

Or like Johann / Were-Wendigo-Jaguar Daryl-Daimio / Panya, what would still be in store for them?

I so like dreaming about these things! Eventhough it's silly. (But I kind of like silly, 'though not like Celine Dion or Billy O'Reilly type-of-silly, since obviously that'd be too much.)
    Last edited by Kees_L; 11-20-2012 at 12:23 PM.
    Been called a 'good egg'. Been told to rock, been told to steady myself. Been told to (please) be goin' places.
    Chillingly good stuff besides Mignola, Slint, M, Knut and really big chunks of tinfoil?
    Half sunk in the mud, with one eye showing / a cracked smile and hair still growing /
    your hands miles apart, as if they'd never met / you were the happiest I'd seen you yet
    . ~
    (full) lyrics to 'Exhume' by Bedhead.