Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

If "issue numbers' and "covers" are sooooo important to ya', how about ACTUALLY BUYING SOME ISSUES AND COVERS??? Actual comics!!!!

Some issues and covers I proudly have in my collection; you can too if you try!

Elder Member

Exactly. The past cannot be changed, so complaining about it is pretty much a waste of time. The fact is that DC is putting issues numbers on the backs of trades now, meaning that the issue is being addressed in the present, which pretty much eliminates any real justification for complaint
    Last edited by kalorama; 11-19-2012 at 02:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Brady View Post
    Yes, but the info is still there. If you don't buy the book, the info doesn't matter. If you do, you just have to open it up.

I don't care. Sorry.

Again, the info is still there.

I'm mostly bothered by the laziness & helplessness. I don't particularly care about the details.
    My superhero interests are largely DC. But I don't get your argument. As a relatively new reader, it would be great to have the issues on the back of the book. It's not lazy or helpless...we're paying money, remember?

Quote Originally Posted by Concept Coop View Post
    My superhero interests are largely DC. But I don't get your argument. As a relatively new reader, it would be great to have the issues on the back of the book. It's not lazy or helpless...we're paying money, remember?
    My argument is: the information is extremely easy to find, with or without the book. Complaining about not having the information is silly.
    Google is your friend. Have a question? Look it up. ∙ BlogSequential Salon

Holy hell. I never thought people would get so upset over my adressing two very real "issues". Some of the trades have interior covers, yes. Some of the trades have the contents on the back, yes. I never once said "NO TPBS FROM DC HAVE ANY COVERS INSIDE AND THEY NEVER HAVE THE CONTENTS ON THE BACK!!!". I'm just saying, damn, it's annoying at times because I appreciate the covers to the issues I'm reading (who doesn't like more art?)... and I like knowing what's inside the book, as it helps me decide if I want it (sorry, I don't have an encyclopedic mind to know for me). As far as why don't I buy single issues? I can't afford 'em. I'm 22, married, with 2 kids. I get 3/4 of my books thru work (we have a commission points program that I use to get gift cards for Chapters/Indigo). I guess I should apologize for hurting so many people's feelings. Had I known it would cause so much personal outrage, I would have just bitched about it to some of my buddies at work.

Quote Originally Posted by dingbat46 View Post
    and I like knowing what's inside the book, as it helps me decide if I want it (sorry, I don't have an encyclopedic mind to know for me).
    Wanting to know what you're buying sounds perfectly reasonable to me. And the information most everyone is pointing you toward is actually not what you're asking for.

You want to know what is printed in the TPB, the information on the inside cover starts with the line "Originally published in single magazine form in..." Generally that is going to be a list of the issues included in the trade. But it is not a guarantee that the whole of the single issues listed are included in the trade.

For example: If you look at the inside cover of "Teen Titans: Ravager: Fresh Hell" it says: "Originally published in single magazine form in Faces of Evil: Deathstroke 1, Teen Titans 71-76, 79-82" Then check the inside cover of "Teen Titans: Child's Play" which says "Originally published in single magazine form in Teen Titans 71-78"

So if you buy both books are you actually buying "Teen Titans 71-76" twice?

If this was a Marvel trade the answer is probably yes. But at DC it's probably no. In this case, the Ravager subplot is pulled out of the Titans trade. But as someone who was collecting in trades it leaves me wondering about what other material does DC omit from their trades.

Currently to save money and save space when it comes to DC publications, I've given up on trades, instead I wait a month and purchase digital copies at a dollar off.
    Last edited by Kizmet; 11-19-2012 at 05:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kizmet View Post

If this was a Marvel trade the answer is probably yes. But at DC it's probably no. In this case, the Ravager subplot is pulled out of the Titans trade. But as someone who was collecting in trades it leaves me wondering about what other material does DC omit from their trades.
    To clarify, the Ravager book was not a "subplot...pulled out of the Titans trade." Ravager was a back-up running in the book, essentially a small 10-page issue unto itself included in each of those issues of Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Kizmet View Post
    Wanting to know what you're buying sounds perfectly reasonable to me.
    I agree. I'm a relatively new reader and, frankly, I must admit that when I wanted to get into it more and took my first trip to the store (interstate as there isn't one where I live) it was quite a daunting experience - simply because there was such a massive overload of information available. And so many different story arcs and so many different MAJOR events that have occurred.

As someone else has suggested above, I asked the guy behind the counter who wouldn't either remove the shrink wrap of any books for me to look inside or give me any form of meaningful information. I'm not sure if he didn't know the answers to my questions or not.. but it seemed more like he was one of those arrogant and condescending "expert" types that look down upon "n00bs" for how "dumb" they are.

They may be altered a little, but they're in there.

Firs off, welcome to reading Batman! I'm always glad to see a new reader. Especiall of a beloved character like Bats. I'm glad you're enjoying the trades and getting caught up in Bats adventures. There certainly are some difficulties with the older trades. I've heard more than one complaint about different versions of the Knightfall trades. Fortunately, the new trades make it easier on you to know what issues are inside and tend to include the covers. I love looking at the covers too. Plus having a clear break in the story makes it easier to read the trade in intervals, incase I don't have the time to read it in one sitting. If I come across a trade that I'm unsure of, as far as content, I usually look it up online. If the trade isn't shrinkwrapped, I can flip it open and see what the issues are. Though if I've heard good things about a trade but haven't gotten to see it in person or it is sealed, I'll look it up on Amazon or Barnes and Noble. Usually in the product description, they'll tell you what issues are collected in the trades. That's how I got caught up with Walking Dead when trying to figure out what trades to get after the omnibus. At the time I started reading Walking Dead, there was no omnibus 2. So I had to figure out which of the smaller trades picked up where I left off. Going online saved me a lot of time. Plus you can get a feel for whether you'll enjoy the story with the reviews. Just watch out for spoilers.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnShil View Post
    To clarify, the Ravager book was not a "subplot...pulled out of the Titans trade." Ravager was a back-up running in the book, essentially a small 10-page issue unto itself included in each of those issues of Titans.
    So, in other words, the copyright information isn't a particularly reliable means of determining the content of the TPB?

No, it just means that you were incorrect to label it a subplot pulled out from one trade and included in another.

Another thing Marvel does that's helpful is that if there is a storyline that appears in other titles (crossovers) each volume of the story is NUMBERED so that you can follow the story in sequence. With WORLD WAR HULK or HOUSE OF M, I know what to buy first. With BLACKEST NIGHT, I was TOTALLY in the dark (pun intended) and only managed to get a general sense of the order through the help of a fellow CBR contributer. In my opinion, the numbering system should be used when it comes to multi-volume "events"...

And yes, I agree with the contributer who started the thread, I want to see the original covers at the beginning of each "chapter", even if it's been shrunken in size.
    FAV Comics: Lil' ABNER, DICK TRACY, BATMAN, UNCLE SCROOGE, KAMUI, TOMB OF DRACULA, THE MIGHTY THOR by LEE\KIRBY, WONDER WOMAN by PEREZ\KAREN BERGER, AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 1-206 and EC COMICS!

Quote Originally Posted by dingbat46 View Post
    Holy hell. I never thought people would get so upset over my adressing two very real "issues". Some of the trades have interior covers, yes. Some of the trades have the contents on the back, yes. I never once said "NO TPBS FROM DC HAVE ANY COVERS INSIDE AND THEY NEVER HAVE THE CONTENTS ON THE BACK!!!". I'm just saying, damn, it's annoying at times because I appreciate the covers to the issues I'm reading (who doesn't like more art?)... and I like knowing what's inside the book, as it helps me decide if I want it (sorry, I don't have an encyclopedic mind to know for me). As far as why don't I buy single issues? I can't afford 'em. I'm 22, married, with 2 kids. I get 3/4 of my books thru work (we have a commission points program that I use to get gift cards for Chapters/Indigo). I guess I should apologize for hurting so many people's feelings. Had I known it would cause so much personal outrage, I would have just bitched about it to some of my buddies at work.
    Don't take it hard, I agree with you. One of the things JOE QUESADA got right at Marvel was overhauling their Tradepaperback and Hardcover line specifically to make it easier to get Marvel products in conventional bookstores, rather just rely entirely on comic book stores. It's been very profitable for them and Dark Horse seems to have borrowed some of their ideas. DC still hasn't gotten their act together when it comes to this but I'm hopeful it will only take a little tweaking here or there...
    FAV Comics: Lil' ABNER, DICK TRACY, BATMAN, UNCLE SCROOGE, KAMUI, TOMB OF DRACULA, THE MIGHTY THOR by LEE\KIRBY, WONDER WOMAN by PEREZ\KAREN BERGER, AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 1-206 and EC COMICS!

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    The OP started the thread by making blanket assertions that were not, in fact, accurate.
    Nothing I said was inaccurate. Saying that some (more than half) Batman TPBs/HCs don't have the interior covers or the contents on the back is all true.