View Poll Results: The League was right to replace Steve Trevor as their Liason?

Voters
22. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Yes

15 68.18%
  • No

7 31.82%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    U dont need my user title brettc1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    If someone does their job really well, but makes someone else uncomfortable, the uncomfortable person has a right to file a complaint for whatever reason.

It was up to ARGUS to decide if the reason was valid and if Steve should be reassigned as a result.

Steve being in danger, Steve being in the press as Diana's boyfriend and Steve's pining after her all add up to 'bad idea' in Diana's eyes, so she said as much to ARGUS. Even though Aquaman questioned it, neither he nor anyone else apparently went to ARGUS to dispute Diana's request. Making a call to a satellite just to talk to your ex-girlfriend, btw, is highly unprofessional and probably violates some basic rules of the job.

As a result, ARGUS, not Diana, opted to reassign Steve because he let it all get too personal. Diana wasn't comfortable with him around, the rest of the JL apparently respected and/or agreed with her reasoning, and so did ARGUS.
    First - what exactly is the complaint again? Steve is in danger - he has been in danger many times. Steve being in the media? Again, that goes with the job I suspect. And how can Diana make a complaint about two things that affect Steve and not her?

Did he make a call to the satellite just to talk to her, because I seem to recall there was some business discussed with the other members as well. That is part of his job [apparently to put up with all their bs might I add]. And if we are going to sack people for sending the occasional intraoffice email that is semi-personal then the unemployment rate will skyrocket.

You also have to love the level of discussion that goes with this. "You have broken hands, a cracked skull, fractured ribs, and you're fired." Not even a thank you for saving everyone's life. Yeah, Johns really knows how to write a compassionate Wonder Woman.
    Irene Adler: “I would have you right here on this desk until you begged for mercy twice.”
    Sherlock: “I’ve never begged for mercy in my life.”
    Irene: “Twice.”

Of course Steve should have been transferred, everything is politics, and if one of the major players in a small group, WW- let's face it, WW, Batman and Superman, were still making the plays, GL was just goofing of on League time, Flash was just following the big three's lead, maybe Aquaman had a say due to his forceful personality and "I want to be a leaderness". But politics is politics, if WW was unconfortable working with Steve, can you imagine Batman saying- "No, we like him Diana, you have to deal with it." Of course, not. Batman would support his teammate- as he should- and request a new liasion. It's the liason's job to serve the best interests in making communication work smoothly between the government and JL, and its not like he got demoted or would lose pay or anything, so what's the big deal? Sure, it might be a little embarassing for Steve, but he probably shouldn't have been in that post in the first place having had a very public relationship that had ended with someone he was now working with.

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    First - what exactly is the complaint again? Steve is in danger - he has been in danger many times. Steve being in the media? Again, that goes with the job I suspect. And how can Diana make a complaint about two things that affect Steve and not her?

Did he make a call to the satellite just to talk to her, because I seem to recall there was some business discussed with the other members as well. That is part of his job [apparently to put up with all their bs might I add]. And if we are going to sack people for sending the occasional intraoffice email that is semi-personal then the unemployment rate will skyrocket.

You also have to love the level of discussion that goes with this. "You have broken hands, a cracked skull, fractured ribs, and you're fired." Not even a thank you for saving everyone's life. Yeah, Johns really knows how to write a compassionate Wonder Woman.
    That's the thing, he's not fired, he has no loss of job, employment, pay or government status. Basically he still gets to do everything he was doing before he was working with the league, which was quite a lot. He's doesn't get to contact the league anymore and would be assigned to a different posting within ARGUS.

CBR Mod/WW Section Mom Gaelforce's Avatar

Steve flat out admits that he didn't take the job as JL liaison for the betterment of mankind - he did it to protect Diana. Whereas that's sweet and romantic, it has no place in the workplace.

Btw, I think this is all going to backfire on them as their new liaison is probably going to suck and mess everything up ;)

Steve flat out admits that he didn't take the job as JL liaison for the betterment of mankind - he did it to protect Diana. Whereas that's sweet and romantic, it has no place in the workplace.

Btw, I think this is all going to backfire on them as their new liaison is probably going to suck and mess everything up ;)

I think the new liaison is Amanda Waller. She will do a good job but she will be more focussed on representing the US government. And I'm not sure she will be as trustworthy or as helpful as Steve was.

I think it would be awkward for Steve now that Superman and Wonder Woman are official, but he did seem like the best man for the job as far as the Justice League went. He had the Leagues (Diana's) best interest in mind. Without him the League won't have the free reign and trust it use too.

Ek Vitki Runoz Writu CaptMagellan's Avatar

Hmmm.... has 'Snapper' Carr been introduced in the new 52 yet?

Could he be reintroduced as a slightly wisecracking young Fed liaison without it completely sucking?
    "The Way to see by Faith, is to shut the Eye of Reason" - Benjamin Franklin

"Religion can never reform mankind because religion is slavery." - R.G. Ingersoll

Quote Originally Posted by spair View Post
    Aquaman doesn't sound adverse to the idea...he merely asked a sensible question.
    The question indicates that members of the League were neither consulted about the decision nor are they entirely sure it was the right one. In short, the issue of reassigning Steve did not appear to be a settled one.

No, as far as I know, Steve did not admit anything of the sort. This is what he said:

Quote Originally Posted by misslane38 View Post
    The question indicates that members of the League were neither consulted about the decision nor are they entirely sure it was the right one. In short, the issue of reassigning Steve did not appear to be a settled one.
    Oh, it's settled. And Aquaman still wasn't adverse to it.
    Rather Mercurial

Oh, it's settled. And Aquaman still wasn't adverse to it.
    It was settled in the sense that it was done; Steve was reassigned. By asking the question, however, Aquaman explicitly expresses doubt. That means he's somewhere between being completely okay with it to being totally against it. Either there was no discussion about the decision or Aquaman's doubts were unheeded or overruled. If it was settled, even if was just in his own mind, there would be no need to ask the question at all.

Quote Originally Posted by misslane38 View Post
    It was settled in the sense that it was done; Steve was reassigned. By asking the question, however, Aquaman explicitly expresses doubt. That means he's somewhere between being completely okay with it to being totally against it. Either there was no discussion about the decision or Aquaman's doubts were unheeded or overruled. If it was settled, even if was just in his own mind, there would be no need to ask the question at all.
    At the end of the day misslane, the point that I made still stands as you stated above in the bold highlight. And Aquaman solely based on the question he asked still did not portray himself as adverse to the settled decision. Everything else is just superfluous.
    Rather Mercurial

At the end of the day misslane, the point that I made still stands as you stated above in the bold highlight. And Aquaman solely based on the question he asked still did not portray himself as adverse to the settled decision. Everything else is just superfluous.
    But that wasn't the point I was making in the first place. I mentioned Aquaman's question because it implied to me, despite the finality of Steve's reassignment, that the issue was not fully settled in mind's of the League's team members. Having doubts, as Arthur expressed, suggests to me that while he may not have been adverse to the settled decision, he was not completely at ease with it either.

U dont need my user title brettc1's Avatar

Oh hell yeah.

Another point was the arrogance of the League, or at least Diana. Steve tries to warn her that they have powerful enemies but she just doenst want to hear it. Batman and Aquamans talk with Steve next issue, confident they cant be overheard, pretty much backs this up.
    Irene Adler: “I would have you right here on this desk until you begged for mercy twice.”
    Sherlock: “I’ve never begged for mercy in my life.”
    Irene: “Twice.”

BANNED

Well if memory serves, Waller is their new liason...consider that a 180.

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    Well if memory serves, Waller is their new liason...consider that a 180.
    I thought it was Etta? Though I'm not really reading the comic, just a few issues now and again. JL is too terrible to buy on a regular basis. So I may be mistaken.

Nah its Waller herself, she says she's replacing him as liaison in the #13 backup.