Page 40 of 341 FirstFirst ... 303637383940414243445090140 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Pól Rua View Post
    The thing is there was SO MUCH GOOD SHIT in the 90's. And the reason why we remember it being so awful is because Marvel and DC were shitting themselves that people might start reading it (rendering them surplus to requirements), so they had to start churning out a million different foil enhanced covered Venom miniseries and Ghost Rider spin-off books in order to crowd all that off the shelves.
    The thing is that Marvel and DC (well, DC at least, as that's what I was mostly reading) were also putting out some great stuff too.

Mark Waid's Flash, most of the 5 year later Legion stuff was in the 90s, James Robinsons Starman, The Golden Age, The Titans Hunt (which rather went off the rails by the end, but those first eight or nine issues were exhilarating, The Mike Parobeck Justice Society, Kurt Busiek's Avengers, Marvels, Kingdom Come, the aforementioned Batman and Superman animated series books....

That's discounting anything that Vertigo was putting out as well.

The problem with the 90s was that because the market was so saturated full of shit, the good stuff was swamped.

But you're right, there was so much good stuff out there.
    The Hod: Novelist, raconteur and celebrated sexual athlete.

14 Time Rita's Champion SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

I picked up 2 issues of the Comics Journal (one from 1984 , the other from 1999) . One has a nice interview and art on the front from the late Al Williamson (1984 issue) . In it he discusses Flash Gordon and more work he did up til then.

I always remember someone on CBR and it could have been here , "The Comics Journal disappeared up its own ass" for the negativity it seemed to have with the industry.
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

Sucks 200 character limit.

Quote Originally Posted by the4thpip View Post
    Let me guess... Meredith Baxter Birney in a very special story about a bulimic Santa Claus?
    Most are either a ripoff on Christmas Carol or It's a Wonderful Life.

And the worst part? 70% of them feature leads who are successful business women but are also total bitches and completely unfulfilled in life. And the solution is always getting married and having babies.
    I'm autistic. What's your excuse?

AKA Muffin, Rear Admiral Nerdcock...

Y'know that thing I said that got you offended? I was just joking.

Yes, I'd was about to mention that, but you beat me to it. No, women, no matter how successful you are in other parts of your life, you are NOTHING unless you find a man to love you. NOTHING!

Just makes my head hurt.
    'Dox out.

"But I think the difference is, when Democrats go crazy, they get shown the door. When Republicans go crazy they get appointed to the Science committee. " - Shawn Hopkins

"Can it, you nit!" - Violet Beauregard

"And Paradox is never correct. About anything."- Kid Omega

Champions: The Conclave
    Decorum & Friends (A City of Heroes archive)

And suddenly I've gone from having drinks with a cute chick to babysitting an ugly drunk.

Woohoo.
    howyadoin?
    howyadoin graphics

song of the moment:
    "sao paulo" ~ the deadstring brothers

Quote Originally Posted by howyadoin View Post
    And suddenly I've gone from having drinks with a cute chick to babysitting an ugly drunk.

Woohoo.
    Doesn't that usually happen the other way around?
    The Hod: Novelist, raconteur and celebrated sexual athlete.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    Yes, I'd was about to mention that, but you beat me to it. No, women, no matter how successful you are in other parts of your life, you are NOTHING unless you find a man to love you. NOTHING!

Just makes my head hurt.
    I remember a role reversal they did for a Nic Cage film where he was a shallow business man. One day he wakes up married to a woman with some kids. He eventually changes his whole stance on things and realizes that is what he wants .
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

Quote Originally Posted by Jared H. View Post
    Most are either a ripoff on Christmas Carol or It's a Wonderful Life.

And the worst part? 70% of them feature leads who are successful business women but are also total bitches and completely unfulfilled in life. And the solution is always getting married and having babies.
    The big trend this year seems to be Christmas movies about choirs, because I guess Glee's still a thing for some reason.

They call me Mr. Pip! the4thpip's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Donald M. View Post
    The big trend this year seems to be Christmas movies about choirs, because I guess Glee's still a thing for some reason.
    Coming soon on Bible TV: Cissy, a pig-tailed 12-year-old girl with a heart of girl that every single member of the LA Gay Men's Choir just hasn't found the right woman yet as she introduces all of them to her various kooky aunts.
    My blog.

We struggled against apartheid in South Africa, supported by people the world over, because black people were being blamed and made to suffer for something we could do nothing about; our very skins. It is the same with sexual orientation. It is a given.
    - Desmond Tutu

Getting married? Check http://www.fandgweddings.com/

Well after 2 years I decided to sign up for the Jinx forums and see what everyone was up to there. Of course I went to register and the forums won't take my yahoo email . Oh well....

Morning people.

Obviously I was tired, slept 9.5 hours.
    What have I always believed? That, on the whole, and by and large, if a person lived properly, not according to what any priests said, but according to what seemed decent and honest inside, then it would, at the end, more or less, turn out ok.

"In 1996, I was 36. And you're still a frothing moonbat." ~Paradox

SUPERECWFAN1 gives off a spoor:

Well after 2 years I decided to sign up for the Jinx forums and see what everyone was up to there. Of course I went to register and the forums won't take my yahoo email . Oh well....
    It...knows you. You frighten it.
    'Dox out.

"But I think the difference is, when Democrats go crazy, they get shown the door. When Republicans go crazy they get appointed to the Science committee. " - Shawn Hopkins

"Can it, you nit!" - Violet Beauregard

"And Paradox is never correct. About anything."- Kid Omega

Champions: The Conclave
    Decorum & Friends (A City of Heroes archive)

It knows once I arrive...the world it knows is over. I bring MADNESS....

Quote Originally Posted by bipolar danger girl View Post
    It doesn't? Which part?
    The part where it serves as a convenient excuse for whatever dumb bullshit the plot requires her to do. Also the part where it's what makes her such a brilliant analyst.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared H. View Post
    Man I wish my coworker didn't like the Hallmark channel so much.

These low rent Holiday movies are so awful.
    The one upside to not spending Christmas with my family this year.
    "If you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Is that the new YABs?

Quote Originally Posted by Puma View Post
    Morning people.

Obviously I was tired, slept 9.5 hours.
    Happy Thanksgiving.

Super E frightens everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    It knows once I arrive...the world it knows is over. I bring MADNESS....
    *cue intense and loud spooky music*