Page 109 of 341 FirstFirst ... 95999105106107108109110111112113119159209 ... LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,635 of 5113

The seventh Wimpy Kid book is #1 on the Publisher's Weekly list and sold more than 350,000 its first week.

Because kids don't like funnybooks.

http://comicsbeat.com/wimpy-kid-7-se...its-frst-week/

Quote Originally Posted by Slam_Bradley View Post
    The seventh Wimpy Kid book is #1 on the Publisher's Weekly list and sold more than 350,000 its first week.

at least kids are reading again...that's really what is important

does it really matter if its comic books or not?
    Support your local roller derby league

My credit union is wonderful. Filled out the fraudulent charge form, made sure my old card was well and truly canceled, ordered a new one, and my account should be reimbursed in about ten days. The only truly disturbing aspect was finding out that the clerk handles at least one such situation a day.

What have I always believed? That, on the whole, and by and large, if a person lived properly, not according to what any priests said, but according to what seemed decent and honest inside, then it would, at the end, more or less, turn out ok.

"In 1996, I was 36. And you're still a frothing moonbat." ~Paradox

All's well that ends well, then. Although, yeah, that's a pretty disturbing factoid.
    "If you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

Quote Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
    All's well that ends well, then. Although, yeah, that's a pretty disturbing factoid.
    Especially as her service area population is under 25,000 people; made me really think about big cities.
    What have I always believed? That, on the whole, and by and large, if a person lived properly, not according to what any priests said, but according to what seemed decent and honest inside, then it would, at the end, more or less, turn out ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Slam_Bradley View Post

6.5 million copies is a lot of funny books.

Quote Originally Posted by Puma View Post
    My credit union is wonderful. Filled out the fraudulent charge form, made sure my old card was well and truly canceled, ordered a new one, and my account should be reimbursed in about ten days. The only truly disturbing aspect was finding out that the clerk handles at least one such situation a day.

Glad you had one thing turn out right. You still might want to follow 'Thena's advice and have a drink.

Quote Originally Posted by Winslow View Post
    Glad you had one thing turn out right. You still might want to follow 'Thena's advice and have a drink.
    I just might; especially as the power just dropped out, let's hear it for generators!

I really trying to not be a whiner but it seems to be my 24 hours...

Martha- best lady, kindest volunteer, and all around wonderful person I had the privilege to know and work with, passed away on Thanksgiving at the age of 87. RIP
    That's not whining at all. I'm sorry for your loss.
    Christ, do I have to do all the thinking for the entire fucking Internet? - Michael P

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium View Post

Meh, a book proving any kind of a sales success isn't telling me kids will be reading or not I'd feel.

And a statement like "kids don't like funnybooks" I wouldn't be taking seriously or literally I guess (no offense! please?), since I wouldn't consider it accurate per se. Because sales or interest - especially kids their interest as getting guided or influenced much - won't read so straightforwardly I'd think.

Since kids usually wanna be doing or getting what would seem available for doing - and between all the TV and gaming both as all the stuff bigger kids or adults would be doing, I don't think comics would be at a similar position as decades ago.
    Or at least it seems to me that nowadays any comics would be actually less of an enticing seeming thing for kids than back when comics would have been to seem more popular?

Plus getting kids to read would usually get tried for as by getting them books containing at least a notable amount of text or writing, which might not be something comics would be considered most famous for, in the minds of most people?
    Been called a 'good egg'. Been told to rock, been told to steady myself. Been told to (please) be goin' places.
    Chillingly good stuff besides Mignola, Slint, M, Knut and really big chunks of tinfoil?
    Half sunk in the mud, with one eye showing / a cracked smile and hair still growing /
    your hands miles apart, as if they'd never met / you were the happiest I'd seen you yet
    . ~
    (full) lyrics to 'Exhume' by Bedhead.

I might get a chance to sleep this friday. something to look forward to.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-...stRecentReview

My amazon reviews, check them out sometime!

Quote Originally Posted by Kees_L View Post
    Meh, a book proving any kind of a sales success isn't telling me kids will be reading or not I'd feel.

And a statement like "kids don't like funnybooks" I wouldn't be taking seriously or literally I guess (no offense! please?), since I wouldn't consider it accurate per se. Because sales or interest - especially kids their interest as getting guided or influenced much - won't read so straightforwardly I'd think.

Since kids usually wanna be doing or getting what would seem available for doing - and between all the TV and gaming both as all the stuff bigger kids or adults would be doing, I don't think comics would be at a similar position as decades ago.
    Or at least it seems to me that nowadays any comics would be actually less of an enticing seeming thing for kids than back when comics would have been to seem more popular?

Plus getting kids to read would usually get tried for as by getting them books containing at least a notable amount of text or writing, which might not be something comics would be considered most famous for, in the minds of most people?
    I held a class visit for 1st graders ( 6 and 7 year olds) at one of my libraries yesterday, about twenty kids total, almost evenly split between boys and girls. After the tour & story I left them run amok in the stacks; every kid found a book they wanted to read and four of the boys came to near blows over the Captain Underpants books ( a mix of cartoon and text), one boy tried to check out "Batman The Long Halloween" until I felt compelled to find him something more age appropriate. Kids read what appeals to them, the important thing is to make those characters available.

I held a class visit for 1st graders ( 6 and 7 year olds) at one of my libraries yesterday, about twenty kids total, almost evenly split between boys and girls. After the tour & story I left them run amok in the stacks; every kid found a book they wanted to read and four of the boys came to near blows over the Captain Underpants books ( a mix of cartoon and text), one boy tried to check out "Batman The Long Halloween" until I felt compelled to find him something more age appropriate. Kids read what appeals to them, the important thing is to make those characters available.
    agreed..and the adult fandom forgets that sometime

they want their grimdark Transformer rape
    Support your local roller derby league

RIP Ronnie James Dio Deathstroke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Winslow View Post

Sorry for the drama and disappointment. Politics is rarely rational and almost always mean and vindictive.
    The whole thing is really beginning to sour me on ever going back to coaching (even though it would be in another town).

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    If I was you I'd just tell anyone who texts or calls that you no longer care. Eventually this President will run the program into the ground .Which is sad really. But what can ya do ? Its their program and they seem hell bent on making an example out of you .
    I don't like getting fucked over like this which is why I keep my ears open for news like the guy coaching. The three guys running the league, I'm fucking done with them beyond measure.
    I'm on Twitter

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Agreed. Very true. And making or keeping stuff available will be fickle a thing.

Like as how it wouldn't be true that besides Wimpy Kid there wouldn't have been existing cool comics or kind of comics-like graphic or sequential stuff as potentially proving appealing both as suitable for kids?
    Eventhough availability to any such reading would be a thing of itself significantly?

I'm all for Wimpy Kid or any book, for kids or otherwise.

Although what I'm saying is that a sales success or craze as coming to exist as seeming favorable or not doesn't seem leading to me.

I would think that offering or creating any reading as specifically kids-appropriate would be a thing of itself. Like it would present a specific boundary or goal on its own?

I wouldn't be against it, but at the same time it would seem logical to me that for some types of story matter or types of storytelling one would simply need to be beyond a certain age potentially?

Like I would be all for great and enjoyable both as visually enticing stuff, but it wouldn't need to be only comics per se. Like it wouldn't be a contest between just comics and other stuff. As if just any great or wellmade imaginative stuff would do.
    Last edited by Kees_L; 11-28-2012 at 04:33 PM.
    Been called a 'good egg'. Been told to rock, been told to steady myself. Been told to (please) be goin' places.
    Chillingly good stuff besides Mignola, Slint, M, Knut and really big chunks of tinfoil?
    Half sunk in the mud, with one eye showing / a cracked smile and hair still growing /
    your hands miles apart, as if they'd never met / you were the happiest I'd seen you yet
    . ~
    (full) lyrics to 'Exhume' by Bedhead.

The Central Sca-rutinizer Pól Rua's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    I hear good things about that series.
    It's cheap, disposable pulp. But it's well executed cheap disposable pulp.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    I just read the Australian classic Wake In Fright. Note to self; never get involved in a Two-Up game in a small town.
    I really do need to get around to that 'un.

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium View Post
    The argument "But Kids don't even read comics anymore" is usually used by entitled fanboys or out-of-touch publishers who want to justify the fact that 10 year olds can't read Batman, Spider-Man or Justice League comics anymore.
    When what they really mean is: "But comics should only ever be aimed at ME! MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!" (fanboys) and "Kids don't have the disposable income that we desire in our audience" (publishers).
    "Loudly proclaiming that you are above childish things isn't a sign of maturity - it's proof of adolescence." - Schnitzy Pretzelpants

Co-host of The 'Mike & Pól Save The Universe' Comics podcast - check it out on www.mikeandpol.com