Page 107 of 341 FirstFirst ... 75797103104105106107108109110111117157207 ... LastLast
Results 1,591 to 1,605 of 5113

I read to my kids before bed until they were teens. It's a great way to bond and fosters a love for reading. One of the things I did right as a parent.

oh yay, Rupert just puked all over the dining room.
    What have I always believed? That, on the whole, and by and large, if a person lived properly, not according to what any priests said, but according to what seemed decent and honest inside, then it would, at the end, more or less, turn out ok.

"In 1996, I was 36. And you're still a frothing moonbat." ~Paradox

Quote Originally Posted by Winslow View Post
    Giving parental advice is always tricky, and sometimes unwelcome. Having said that, if you've ruled out a medical reason that he's not sleeping well, then I recommend:

(1) Establishing a routine (going to bed at the same time every night, maybe a bath and then reading)
    (2) Getting him his own crib and room
    (3) Letting him cry

Absent a medical condition, he really should be sleeping at least 6 hours at this point.
    It's never unwelcome.

He just had the second part of his flu shot. Every time he sees the doctor, his routine is thrown off for weeks. She did have a few ideas, but it's going to be some time before we can fully implement them.

1) We have a routine, but he consistently ignores it.
    2) His own room will happen in February.
    3) There's far too much evidence about how this alters brain chemistry and would set him up for diminished learning capabilities and depression. Given that my wife & I both have issues with the latter, we are trying to avoid this as much as possible.
    Google is your friend. Have a question? Look it up. ∙ BlogSequential Salon

Princess Murder You bipolar danger girl's Avatar

Fuckers! Today I am thankful for SuperE. Happy 10 year anniversary, asshole.
    The unicorn is kind of lonely
    Being unique and oh so corny
    Mounting does not amount to much
    The unicorn is unic-horny.
    ~the4thpip

Diamonds, Daisies, Snowflakes,
    Bipolar Danger Girl
    Chestnuts, Rainbows, Springtime ...
    Is Bipolar Danger Girl
    She's tinsel on a tree ...
    She's everything that every girl should be!
    Sable, Popcorn, White Wine,
    Bipolar Danger Girl
    Gingham, Bluebirds, Broadway ...
    Is Bipolar Danger Girl
    She's mine alone, but luckily for you ...
    If you find a girl to love,
    Only one girl to love,
    Then she'll be Bipolar Danger Girl too ...
    Bipolar Danger Girl!
    ~fly on the wall

Japan's #1 Psycho Girl JDogindy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the4thpip View Post
    God fucking damnit.

One of my former clients took too many drugged and jumped of a roof.

He was always completely messed up, but I liked the kid and I was one of the few people he ever listened to.
    Oh, shit. Really sorry to hear about that.
    All-time favorite comment:
    Power of music? Wanna know why the original Presence bailed out of the DCU? These two are the reason:
    -Koyomi Mizuhara
    -Mimi Tachikawa
    SInging Karaoke. :D

SHORT TERM FORECAST
    NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA
    804 AM PST WED NOV 28 2012

CAZ006-505>509-512-281730-
    SAN FRANCISCO-
    COASTAL NORTH BAY...INCLUDING POINT REYES NATIONAL SEASHORE-
    NORTH BAY INTERIOR VALLEYS-NORTH BAY MOUNTAINS-
    SAN FRANCISCO BAY SHORELINE-SAN FRANCISCO PENINSULA COAST-
    SANTA CRUZ MOUNTAINS-
    804 AM PST WED NOV 28 2012

.NOW...

A STRONG LINE OF STORMS CURRENTLY OFF THE COAST ARE EXPECTED TO
    MOVE THROUGH THE AREA BETWEEN 830 AND 930 THIS MORNING. HEAVY RAIN,
    STRONG WINDS, AND LIGHTNING ARE ALL POSSIBLE DURING THIS TIME.

wheeeeeee

fraud, puke, storm

a trifecta!
    What have I always believed? That, on the whole, and by and large, if a person lived properly, not according to what any priests said, but according to what seemed decent and honest inside, then it would, at the end, more or less, turn out ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Brady View Post
    It's never unwelcome.

He just had the second part of his flu shot. Every time he sees the doctor, his routine is thrown off for weeks. She did have a few ideas, but it's going to be some time before we can fully implement them.

1) We have a routine, but he consistently ignores it.
    2) His own room will happen in February.
    3) There's far too much evidence about how this alters brain chemistry and would set him up for diminished learning capabilities and depression. Given that my wife & I both have issues with the latter, we are trying to avoid this as much as possible.
    For 1) you have to really stick to it, and eventually he'll catch on. It usually helps if you make it fun. Reading Go Dogs Go! every night for a month was a pain in the ass, but it's what my son wanted as a toddler.

You can't really do 3) without 2). Letting a child cry while in their presence would suck.

But I am a little skeptical about the studies that say letting a child cry themselves to sleep is setting them up for learning disabilities and depression. I am more inclined to believe that the subset of parents that neglect their children later as well as let them cry as infants may be the same. Nevertheless, making sacrifices for your kid based on information available is rarely a bad thing. So kudos to you.
    Last edited by Winslow; 11-28-2012 at 08:20 AM.

is a very dirty girl Athena Bast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Puma View Post
    oh yay, Rupert just puked all over the dining room.
    I've started to have to fight the cats for use of the toilet. The last couple days have involved me removing them at least 3 times from it before they let me use it.
    So, there's this thing ​NEW! 5/3/13

You want to know what brightens a bad day? even for only a moment or two? going to a site (recommended by Das) and seeing this:

For 1) you have to really stick to it, and eventually he'll catch on. It usually helps if you make it fun. Reading Go Dogs Go! every night for a month was a pain in the ass, but it's what my son wanted as a toddler.

You can't really do 3) without 2). Letting a child cry while in their presence would suck.

But I am a little skeptical about the studies that say letting a child cry themselves to sleep is setting them up for learning disabilities and depression. I am more inclined to believe that the subset of parents that neglect their children later as well as let them cry as infants may be the same. Nevertheless, making sacrifices for your kid based on information available is rarely a bad thing. So kudos to you.
    Letting a child cry whilst in the same room as them is clearly not on, so yes, letting them cry has to wait until they're in their own room.

I think also you need time to learn your childs cries.

We let the little one cry herself out some nights because we can tell her cry is one of anger. Its a "I want you now. Where are you? Why aren't you coming?" cry. After about 15 minutes she kind of gets the point that we're not coming and she usually goes off to sleep. If she doesn't, we'll go in, reassure her, tell its sleep time and leave. Cue another spell of crying, but she'll get the point eventually.

You can tell when her cry is one of pain or discomfort though, and you have to deal with those, and they can sometimes be all nighters.
    The Hod: Novelist, raconteur and celebrated sexual athlete.

14 Time Rita's Champion SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Giving parental advice is always tricky, and sometimes unwelcome. Having said that, if you've ruled out a medical reason that he's not sleeping well, then I recommend:

(1) Establishing a routine (going to bed at the same time every night, maybe a bath and then reading)
    (2) Getting him his own crib and room
    (3) Letting him cry

Absent a medical condition, he really should be sleeping at least 6 hours at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by thehod View Post
    Letting a child cry whilst in the same room as them is clearly not on, so yes, letting them cry has to wait until they're in their own room.

I think also you need time to learn your childs cries.

We let the little one cry herself out some nights because we can tell her cry is one of anger. Its a "I want you now. Where are you? Why aren't you coming?" cry. After about 15 minutes she kind of gets the point that we're not coming and she usually goes off to sleep. If she doesn't, we'll go in, reassure her, tell its sleep time and leave. Cue another spell of crying, but she'll get the point eventually.

You can tell when her cry is one of pain or discomfort though, and you have to deal with those, and they can sometimes be all nighters.
    My friend would do this with his child actually. Because as he said , we can know when she's in pain and needs comforted and we can tell when its just...I WANT ATTENTION NOW crying. He was babysitting for a friend and the girl he sit down to play with her toys on the floor. Well she gets angry because he's not holding her and he waits as a minute or 2 passes and finally she stopped crying. Then went back to playing on the floor like babies do.

Quote Originally Posted by bipolar danger girl View Post
    Thank you..and even using my Swedish Chef avator too....(wipes tear)
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

Sucks 200 character limit.

I really trying to not be a whiner but it seems to be my 24 hours...

Martha- best lady, kindest volunteer, and all around wonderful person I had the privilege to know and work with, passed away on Thanksgiving at the age of 87. RIP
    Last edited by Puma; 11-28-2012 at 09:54 AM. Reason: got all the details.

I keep seeing the thread title as "The use of real Robots" and I keep wanting to reply with "Enslave humanity and Vacuum floors."

Quote Originally Posted by bipolar danger girl View Post
    I'm really only looking at avatars these days. Took me about a minute to figure out why SuperE was talking about himself.

They call me Mr. Pip! the4thpip's Avatar

That's horrible. Are you OK?
    Hands stopped shaing a while ago. Gonna try and focus on the big job interview tomorrow.
    My blog.

We struggled against apartheid in South Africa, supported by people the world over, because black people were being blamed and made to suffer for something we could do nothing about; our very skins. It is the same with sexual orientation. It is a given.
    - Desmond Tutu

Getting married? Check http://www.fandgweddings.com/