Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    About that, I lied. The Transient Guest's Avatar

Now I've never read any of the WH novels so I might be wrong on this, though it's already been mentioned once already, but....ummm...

Aren't the novels / lexicarums / codex things / fluff written with a slant towards the group in question? So the Necrons kills everything in their codex while the Orks make mincemeat in theirs. Which leads to the contradictory stuff which leads to questioning the canonicty of the various sources.

I'll admit my question isn't alphabet soup level but all I had to work with was some Cheerio's. Just be glad my post wasn't an assortment of O's.
    Siriel:
    Transient just likes to do that.

Why he keeps picking up ridiculous arguments and then try to defend them, I will never know.

If that isn't justifiable then color me impressed the amount of ignorance here.
    I can't get over how classy these posts are. You seem to have mistaken internet forums for prison and insults for shanking the first guy you can in order to get respect for being a tough guy.

Quote Originally Posted by FarBeyondC View Post
    You mean the novels that have been proven to contradict each other on many points?

The method used by the world census isn't that good in calculating the population of the world it was designed to calculate the population of. Please explain why you believe those methods would be remotely useful in calculating the population of an interstellar empire and the other places that humanity may or may not be in the Warhammer 40k Universe.

What.

The 'fact' that their standard battle tactic is to outnumber their enemy by 50:1 in no way, shape, or form can be used to assume that their general population is 50 times greater than their enemy's.
    If you paid any attention to anything GW did and said at any given time in your life it should have been that warhammer is a multiverse, you know the whole parallel dimension thing where there's an infinite number of you, varying in an infinite amount of ways,etc. Also for the whole 50:1 thing you're right, there population can't be determine by the enemies number in which they're fighting because they consume things to the atomic level, whether it's the atmosphere, rock, metal, water, or the main dish organic material, and well...everything else and whatever they eat, they use to increase they population count, well butter my butt and call me a biscuit, that's a lot of tyranids.
    Last edited by Ou-Chan; 12-09-2012 at 11:05 PM.

If you paid any attention to anything GW did and said at any given time in your life
    This is a non stop charm offensive, is what this is.

Everyone's favorite host Guy Smiley's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ou-Chan View Post
    Necrons: there are more necrons in the universe than stars. The universe has 170 billion galaxies varying from having 10 million to 100 trillion stars (that's a lot of unaccounted necrons, especially since they still consider themselves endangered and had to sleep off their casualty count, yup there used to be more of them).
    Imperium of Man: They have 1 quintillion galaxies under their belt (1^18) and even though this is off topic has 1 trillion civilizations. Using the growth rate of modern day earth and with the help of philverse.com, I've calculated that the Imperium of Man has a population of 136,998,660,000,000,000,000,000,000 (1.3699866^19) also 1 thousand of their standard can level a continent while it's mandatory to have a 10% recruitment rate.
    The Imperium has several orders of magnitude more galaxies under their belt than actually exist? Did they go multiversal or something? Also, they appear to be spread out to either a little over 136 million individuals per galaxy or as low as 13 per galaxy (depending on if you meant to use a decimal point there) of which only 1/10 is military. That would imply that either a) They're a crapton stronger than continent-busters, or b) those galaxies are hardly 'under their belt'. Imperium planets must be all but deserted.

Quote Originally Posted by Ou-Chan View Post
    Eldar: Population count- 1 tredecillion(1^42), they outnumber the BETA's by 100,000 to 1 ( trust me I already punched the numbers in).
    Tyranids: All were given is that one of they farthest reaching tendrils of one of their major Hive fleets is as big as our galaxy, other than that they outnumber all other races(p.s. whenever they fight they make their troops outnumber the enemy 50:1), which using only the Eldar and Imperium of Man since they populations are palpable (in a loose sense),the tyranids number 50,000,000,000,000,006,849,993,000,000,000,000,000 ,000,000 (at 5, it's 5^43) thus the tyranids outnumber the BETA by 5 million to 1 and these doesn't include chaos or of course the races i listed since we don't know their population.
    Since apparently numbers mean everything now, I will not list tyranid feats that would allow them to annihilate even the largest BETA's unless asked for, either way they already won.
    Okay, try this on for size: That 10^37 count? Extreme low-end. That's unclear as to whether it refers to the entire BETA or just the Superior leader subspecies. There is a decent possibility the BETA have closer to 9x10^47 individuals in total, which would outnumber your Tyrannid estimate by 1800 to 1.

Quote Originally Posted by The Transient Guest View Post
    Now I've never read any of the WH novels so I might be wrong on this, though it's already been mentioned once already, but....ummm...

Aren't the novels / lexicarums / codex things / fluff written with a slant towards the group in question? So the Necrons kills everything in their codex while the Orks make mincemeat in theirs. Which leads to the contradictory stuff which leads to questioning the canonicty of the various sources.

I'll admit my question isn't alphabet soup level but all I had to work with was some Cheerio's. Just be glad my post wasn't an assortment of O's.
    WH40k fluff really doesn't have a canon heirarchy like, say, the Star Wars EU or anything of the sort

What you see is basically just that, something that happens in the 40k world

GW leaves everyone else to interpret events as they wish, but in Rumbles terms, if the faction/character/etc does whatever is generally consistent with the overall fluff, it's usable
    20:25 OnimaruXLR: i thought i had seen everything
    20:26 OnimaruXLR: and then i saw someone use a sarlaac pit and an x-wing to simulate sexual penetration in a star wars mmo

Ou-Chan, I suggest you familiarize yourself with how this board operates before posting again, especially the part where we don't allow insulting comments.

Do not post in this thread again.
    Suffering is a fact of life. You survive if you find a reason to endure it.

Just...wow. I stopped reading this guy's shit the second he claimed the Imperium had a presence in more than one galaxy. I checked out that link but I didn't see anything indicating how many there were, I may have missed it. But if it took them 3 years to kill a mere 5 billion, I'm giving this one to the 'nids.
    Hey! No one's asking you to smell it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyvurg View Post
    But if it took them 3 years to kill a mere 5 billion, I'm giving this one to the 'nids.
    The ones that arrived on Earth were a very small fraction of the main force. Depending on how you read it it is only one out of 10^37 (at the highest end obviously).

Well, that and Giant Robots.

Giant Robots always win.

Everyone's favorite host Guy Smiley's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hazard View Post
    The ones that arrived on Earth were a very small fraction of the main force. Depending on how you read it it is only one out of 10^37 (at the highest end obviously).

Well, that and Giant Robots.

Giant Robots always win.
    Except for when they don't: The first Alternative basically ends with the BETA overrunning Earth, (Giant Robots and all) a small group of humanity being shipped off-planet to save the species, and the protagonist left behind to make an ultimately hopeless last stand until he's catapulted into an alternate universe for the second time, where he gets to try again, this time giving Earth advance warning. And although I haven't gotten that far in Alternative 2 yet, it appears from the linked page that Earth will fail again anyway, leading him to Alternative 3.

Yeah, mecha. The Imperium has those too, larger and more well-armed than most anime/magna robots. Heck, 90% of mecha wouldn't even get noticed by Imperator Titans until after they were stepped on. They also have ten-mile-long starships armed to the teeth and a 'nid fleet can stills scour a world clean of life in hours.
    Hey! No one's asking you to smell it.

Let's stop discussing the poster who is no longer allowed to post on this thread, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazard View Post
    The ones that arrived on Earth were a very small fraction of the main force. Depending on how you read it it is only one out of 10^37 (at the highest end obviously)
    At the high end obviously? The amount of overwhelming lack of knowledge about the combatants in this thread is staggering to the point of making it hard to walk around.
    I've researched the Muv-Luv Wiki, which is just one website dedicated to collecting quotes and information about the series, and check this out.
    Also, there are apparently at least 10^37 BETA scattered throughout the universe. From what the Superior says, it sounds like this refers to the number of BETA, but Takeru takes it to refer to the number of Superiors; if it is indeed the latter, and each Superior has a number of BETA under it equal to that of Earth's, that would mean there are probably around 10^37+10^37x7^10 to 10^37+10^37x9^10 BETA in existence.
    That 10^37 has been interpreted as merely the number of leader class BETA which in turn have a 10^37 army under each of them.

I can't continue to list feats about the BeTa off the top of my head because I know very little about the subject. But I still win the fight because.

Edit: Does posting like someone constitute talking about them? If it does...ummm....I'm glad this post is still similar enough to my normal style that I might get a pass.
    Siriel:

Why he keeps picking up ridiculous arguments and then try to defend them, I will never know.

I was looking at those Beta's. I was curious about it being a mook army that got by on numbers or if they had some legit stuff in the ranks.

The eyes man. The giant, walking, laser shooting eyes.

They watch. Me.
    Last edited by The Transient Guest; 12-10-2012 at 10:56 PM.
    Siriel:

No one knows how many Tyranid there are, the ones currently in the Milky Way are the very outer fringes of the greater bulk of them, the expeditionary forces. As to the actual main bulk of it last I heard its thought to be pretty much the sum total of all the biomass in the Andromeda galaxy(which for the record is high end estimated as roughly 10 times the volume of stars as the Milky Way) which they've already picked clean.

Trying to give a number of organisms to them is meaningless, because Tyranid don't roll that way, they're essentially sentient hive mind biomass that can shape itself into whatever it needs to be(ships, ground units, etc).
    Last edited by Hiromi; 12-11-2012 at 01:28 AM.
    "Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die." -Mel Brooks
    OIF 08-09
    OEF 10-11
    Do it yourself tech support link