Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quote Originally Posted by DarkKnghtJared View Post
    I think the easiest/most likely to succeed way to make a second "WW" book would be this: After Trinity War, spin out a book called "Trinity" staring WW, Superman and Batman.
    I thought the Trinity War grouped Superman, Wonder Woman, and Aquaman. Or am I reading into this pic too much?

my artwork

What if a child dreamed of becoming something other than what society had intended? What if a child aspired to something greater? Man of Steel

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by fanboiii View Post
    I thought the Trinity War grouped Superman, Wonder Woman, and Aquaman. Or am I reading into this pic too much?

It could be Trinity in a lot of ways and even at the same time.

Pandora backs the current Justice League in hope they can open her box (probably through deceit)
    Phantom Stranger gets Justice League Dark to help stop her
    The Question brings in Justice League of America for his own reasons

Result is the current JL breaks its current mould over the matter and decides to rope in some of the people Johns originally teased about.

Wild personal theory...One of the three, get Teen Titans involved along with Raven, who then blows the Strangers cover (since Trigon and his son Belial appear to be fully aware of who he really is, which is a first besides Pandora) out of spite. Thus fulfilling the criteria that originally prevented her from playing Omen's part of Harvest's pet nut-case.

Veteran Member

B

Trinity Wars also seems to refer to the Trinity of Sin --Phantom Stranger, Pandora, and the Question--and they're pretty certainly not going to all be on the same side of a war, so the members of the Trinity of Heroes won't necessarily always have to be on the same side either.

The War might group Superman, Wonder Woman and Aquaman at some point along the way, but traditionally, Superman, Wonder Woman and Batman are DC's Trinity, and that's probably going to be reinforced by the end of the event. There may be a war between the Trinity, with Batman opposing Superman and Wonder Woman over something, but ultimately they'll probably reconcile (like in Kingdom Come).

If Azz has no intention on exploring WW's friends, and foes from the outside world...that second book better do it. There are WW villains and characters that are iconic and he can ignore them if he wants ...if it suits him...but JL is not going to be able to show all of Diana's world. It is not a WW book. It is a JL book. We need a book that can do that. Just like all other heroes are having their foes and supporting cast revamped or updated and not ignored.

Quote Originally Posted by lariatofhestia View Post
    If Azz has no intention on exploring WW's friends, and foes from the outside world...that second book better do it. There are WW villains and characters that are iconic and he can ignore them if he wants ...if it suits him...but JL is not going to be able to show all of Diana's world. It is not a WW book. It is a JL book. We need a book that can do that. Just like all other heroes are having their foes and supporting cast revamped or updated and not ignored.
    I would definitely support a second book, but I'm not sure if it will sell well.

Who could write a possible Sensation Comics that compliments what Azz has done? Snyder expressed interest but he's doing Man of Steel. Rucka's out of DC. Morrison is doing Earth One. I can't think of anyone at the top of my head. Would Gail Simone be up for it? Her work hasn't really been stellar lately. Maybe Amanda Conner could re-team with Darwyn Cook?
    my artwork

What if a child dreamed of becoming something other than what society had intended? What if a child aspired to something greater? Man of Steel

Inf‚me et fier de l'Ítre Auguste Dupin's Avatar

I would definitely support a second book, but I'm not sure if it will sell well.

Who could write a possible Sensation Comics that compliments what Azz has done? Snyder expressed interest but he's doing Man of Steel. Rucka's out of DC. Morrison is doing Earth One. I can't think of anyone at the top of my head. Would Gail Simone be up for it? Her work hasn't really been stellar lately. Maybe Amanda Conner could re-team with Darwyn Cook?
    Christy Marx, the writer of "Sword of Sorcery"? That would give a book that is little bit more "girly" while being of quality and with enough "badassery" to please the regular comic book fan.
    That or Darwyn Cooke on his own. The guy wrote "New Frontier". He can do the writing gig just fine (if anything, the problem might come from his regularity as an artist, but a guest artist and that's it).
    "I'm going to paraphrase Nietzsche, when you judge a work, the work judges you."

Maybe Amanda Conner could re-team with Darwyn Cook?
    Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    That or Darwyn Cooke on his own. The guy wrote "New Frontier". He can do the writing gig just fine (if anything, the problem might come from his regularity as an artist, but a guest artist and that's it).
    Cooke is probably a pipe dream. He's a big enough creator nowadays that he can basically pick whatever he wants to work on, if he had any interest in doing a WW book, he'd already be doing it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by hypotherion View Post
    Cooke is probably a pipe dream. He's a big enough creator nowadays that he can basically pick whatever he wants to work on, if he had any interest in doing a WW book, he'd already be doing it.
    You got it the other way around. He pitched a WW that was turned down. But with the success of Azz's run, it would be nice if it got a go this time. Azz did say in this podcast he's talked with Cooke quite a bit for Before Watchmen.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    You got it the other way around. He pitched a WW that was turned down. But with the success of Azz's run, it would be nice if it got a go this time. Azz did say in this podcast he's talked with Cooke quite a bit for Before Watchmen.
    Unless my memory fails me, that was an all ages book, no? I consider that to be a different sort of beast, since at the time I don't think WW was selling that well, and since all ages books normally don't bring in huge numbers launching one probably wasn't the greatest business decision.

Maybe I'm wrong but I consider Cooke to be in the upper tier of creators and if he wanted to be doing work for the big 2 on a regular basis, he'd be doing it. But regardless after Before Watchmen wraps up I don't think he'll have time to pick up another project before he finishes his last Parker adaptation.

Since there's been a lot of discussion on what direction the hypothetical second book would take I thought I'd post a quote from the interview since I assume not everyone actually listened to it:

Azzarello: My book is very mythological. Its really not reality based. She's not taking on supervillains. Is there room for that book? Or would that book fail? I don't know if I want to do that book. I don't want to do two Wonder Woman books, I got one which is plenty.

So obviously the spinoff would be more of a traditional superhero book, but I'd bet dollars to donuts that it wouldn't contradict anything that Azzarello has done in the main title.

In regards to the complaints about Azzarello having free reign on the book/the absence of the Superman/Wonder Woman relationship in the book...well I just don't see the issues that way. With all the times we've heard about editorial hamstring creators, both pre and post-Flashpoint, I think the fact that Azzarello is being allowed to tell the story that he wants to tell is nothing but good news.

BANNED

Unless my memory fails me, that was an all ages book, no? I consider that to be a different sort of beast, since at the time I don't think WW was selling that well, and since all ages books normally don't bring in huge numbers launching one probably wasn't the greatest business decision.

Maybe I'm wrong but I consider Cooke to be in the upper tier of creators and if he wanted to be doing work for the big 2 on a regular basis, he'd be doing it. But regardless after Before Watchmen wraps up I don't think he'll have time to pick up another project before he finishes his last Parker adaptation.
    He wanted to do an all-ages book, but I mean it didn't have to be Johnny DC. Once you get into the specifics of how his pitch would exactly be published, it's DC's call from there, as to what continuity, imprint, etc.

I honestly have no idea what his work load is though.

Since there's been a lot of discussion on what direction the hypothetical second book would take I thought I'd post a quote from the interview since I assume not everyone actually listened to it:

Azzarello: My book is very mythological. Its really not reality based. She's not taking on supervillains. Is there room for that book? Or would that book fail? I don't know if I want to do that book. I don't want to do two Wonder Woman books, I got one which is plenty.

So obviously the spinoff would be more of a traditional superhero book, but I'd bet dollars to donuts that it wouldn't contradict anything that Azzarello has done in the main title.

In regards to the complaints about Azzarello having free reign on the book/the absence of the Superman/Wonder Woman relationship in the book...well I just don't see the issues that way. With all the times we've heard about editorial hamstring creators, both pre and post-Flashpoint, I think the fact that Azzarello is being allowed to tell the story that he wants to tell is nothing but good news.
    Yeah no disagreements there.

Dark Knight Detective DarkKnghtJared's Avatar

I think you're confusing Cooke with the guy who did the WW Wednesday Comics story--he was the guy who posted up quite a few ideas for an on-going, all-ages WW series.

Dark Knight Detective DarkKnghtJared's Avatar

I think you are. So far we have the strong friendship between Superman and Batman, and we're going to get a FAR closer relationship between Superman and Wonder Woman. All that's really missing is some sort of connection with Batman and Wonder Woman--now that I think about it, that could be the sort of high-concept pitch for the first arc: two best friends' relationship gets tested once one tries to add the girlfriend into the situation. A Judd Apatow flick with super-humans and probably not a whole lot of dick jokes.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkKnghtJared View Post
    I think you're confusing Cooke with the guy who did the WW Wednesday Comics story--he was the guy who posted up quite a few ideas for an on-going, all-ages WW series.
    No, Cooke definitely pitched a book, here's the quote:

And still it goes on. This year J. Bone and myself pitched an all-ages Wonder Woman book aimed at young female readers. In other words, I wanted to give them at least 12 issues of a Wonder Woman book that any parent could give their child. They couldn’t have been less interested.

On the topic of who could be the writer of this potential second book...well none of the choices really excite me. Here's a list of writers who are only working on one new 52 title come February (I know it's a conservative list but I didn't wanna go overboard on the choices):

Tony Bedard
    Tom Defalco
    Dan DiDio
    Andy Diggle
    Joshua Hale Fialko
    Adam Glass
    Michael Green/Mike Johnson
    Kyle Higgins
    Greg Hurwitz
    Dan Jurgens
    Matt Kindt
    Andrew Kreisberg
    John Layman
    Christy Marx
    China Mieville
    Michael Alan Nelson
    Fabian Nicieza
    James Robinson
    Gail Simone
    Duane Swierczynski
    Frank Tieri
    James Tynion IV

...I guess if you put a gun to my head I'd go with Fialkov, Kindt, or Layman...

Brian Azzarello On Spaceman Before Watchemen and Wonder woman Plus The DC Execs Talk Hellblazer's demise, NFL Star Israel Idonije and Jesse Blaze Snider reboots Evil Ernie

Wonder Woman talk starts @ 48:30.

A few points:

- He has free reign when it comes to Wonder Woman.
    - The Superman/Wonder Woman relationship won't appear in Wonder Woman.
    - They're considering a second Wonder Woman book.
    how is the podcast? i only listen to Talking Comics right now and i kinda want another podcast to listen to :P