BANNED

Default Samurai 7 on Toonami

How do you guys feel about this show? I saw it for the first time yesterday. The animation/action looked really sharp, but it was really thin on story. Is it worth catching up from the beginning?

Huh, this was on TechTV way back, during Toonami's first life. It's a reimagining of Akira Kurosawa's Seven Samurai. It was okay; pretty cool visuals, but the ending kinda sucked. (IOW, Gonzo in a nutshell.)

Edit: At least, I think TechTV was the channel... don't really remember anymore. Pretty sure it wasn't CN, at any rate.
    Last edited by MKTerra; 11-18-2012 at 10:58 PM.
    Soap Operus

"Gendou is probably the least whiny, but... well, let's just say that his reaction was probably not quite as healthy as a good whine."
    -The Drunkard Kid, on Evangelion

Transformers Animated fan

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    How do you guys feel about this show? I saw it for the first time yesterday. The animation/action looked really sharp, but it was really thin on story. Is it worth catching up from the beginning?

I loved this story. But I think you shouldn't expect complex plots or plot twists. For me, it's pretty much a simple yet timeless Samurai story applied to a futuristic setting. I think it's just right considering the series isn't toot long.

I think the series reflects the ideals of culture of Samurai; everything from frugality, mastery of their art and honor until death. The ending kind of mirrors their ideal death; a glorious death in service of their leader or cause.

I think Kanbei is the one who epitomizes aspects of the classic Samurai while Katsuhiro becomes the audience's avatar into their world.

So upon watching the anime, I think the audience will have to focus more on the characters and the virtues and ideals they live with; because I think that's what the series is for. It's a glimpse to the Samurai way of life.
    Last edited by flashdisk; 11-19-2012 at 03:45 AM.
    Sometimes you lose things which you don't expect losing. It doesn't make the hurt any less.

BANNED

Yeah I wasn't expecting anything complex. It just did seem like the majority of the episode I saw was action. Really well done action, but nevertheless...

I did see the Kurosawa credit, but that makes sense now though.

It is my favorite anime (I can't stand shows like Naruto and Bleach) - wrapped up nicely - great music, animation and story. Well worth watching from the beginning.
    Cable's death seemed like a soldier's fate simply and finally catching up with a man never not at war - Mainline

My Cable website: http://cableaskani.webs.com/

I've watched very little of it, 2 episodes at best, but so far it hasn't become my new "Cowboy Bebop/Samurai Champloo/cup of tea". I like the ensemble cast (if seven different samurai really are joining forces); I'll have to wait for the next rerun to enjoy it.

This show, Durarara, and Kekkaishi are on my list of "B-Anime". They look good, they made it to Adult Swim/Toonami so they're probably decent, but the first episodes didn't wow me that much.
    Last edited by Kamina; 11-23-2012 at 06:50 AM.

I haven't seen the ending to the anime yet but I really enjoy all versions of this story that I've come across. It has great archetypes and its epic. I recommend checking out the black & white Kurosawa film, its long and sub-titled but worth your time. It was also made into a western called The Magnificent Seven; which has Yul Brynner, Steve McQueen & Charles Bronson in it. So needless to say its all kinds of badass. The story is basically the same in all of them, except in M7the characters of Kikuchiyo & Katsushiro seem like their archetypes (the youth & the fool) are combined into one character; Chico.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

BANNED

There's a DC book right now Demon Knights, that's very similar to this, I think it's also based on Kurosawa's Seven Samurais.

I'm enjoying the show. Nothing amazing, but it's good.

There's a DC book right now Demon Knights, that's very similar to this, I think it's also based on Kurosawa's Seven Samurais.

I'm enjoying the show. Nothing amazing, but it's good.
    Yeah, Samurai 7 is a simple, samurai-mecha action show. Doesn't have the gravity and complexity of a show like Fate/Zero, but sometimes that's a good thing--it's certainly less emotionally draining. But most importantly, Samurai 7 has Kyuzo, and he is awesome.
    The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame

BANNED

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.co...seven-samurai/

This turned out to be fake, but I was immediately reminded of this show.
    Last edited by Mr. Holmes; 01-14-2013 at 09:37 PM.