Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Just tried Dial H 1 and I like it so far. Do the "heroes" team up ever against a common threat or is it always individual stories?

I also think I'm going to pick up the trades of JLD, I Vampire, and Demon Knights.
    Superhero Popularity Study

New and improved second poll is up!

Quote Originally Posted by dubbauw View Post
    Just tried Dial H 1 and I like it so far. Do the "heroes" team up ever against a common threat or is it always individual stories?

I also think I'm going to pick up the trades of JLD, I Vampire, and Demon Knights.
    Dial H really isn't for everyone. It starts of great, but gets really all over the place.
    JLD is a good option, but it gets better when Lemire comes on board. It is all very readable though.
    I,Vampire is great.
    Demon Knights is still terrible and I don't recommend it.
    I'll only recommend something or not recommend something when you mention it. I would rather you want to read something rather then me telling you what you want to read.

Quote Originally Posted by doordoor123 View Post
    I'll only recommend something or not recommend something when you mention it. I would rather you want to read something rather then me telling you what you want to read.
    But sometimes, isn't it helpful if you ask someone "Have you looked at [insert name of book]?"
    Maybe they will have thought about it but hadn't mentioned it, or if they're not interested they might say why they're not and give more clues as to what might be a good fit for that person's tastes.

(And I only read the tpb of Demon Knights and liked that . . . don't know if you felt it was "terrible" from the get-go or in one of the later issues. Why do you say it was "terrible"? )
    Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    But sometimes, isn't it helpful if you ask someone "Have you looked at [insert name of book]?"
    Maybe they will have thought about it but hadn't mentioned it, or if they're not interested they might say why they're not and give more clues as to what might be a good fit for that person's tastes.

(And I only read the tpb of Demon Knights and liked that . . . don't know if you felt it was "terrible" from the get-go or in one of the later issues. Why do you say it was "terrible"? )
    No, I wouldn't ask anyone that. They can look at whatever they want and find what looks interesting to them. I'm not going to give someone a list of twenty or more books that I like. Some of the books I like aren't for everyone and some of the books I don't like, other people love.
    Demon Knights isn't well loved. Not a lot of people like it. I am one of those people. I love Game of Thrones and Lord of the Rings is my bible, but I hate Demon Knights. It doesn't make sense, it doesn't work and its boring. Even if there is a writer change, the first issue's concept was so bad that it is impossible to get into down the line. It is like Frankenstein Agent of Shade.
    I have wanted to like both books, but they have been unreadable. There are small followings for both, but odds are to not turn a new reader toward it. There is a greater chance of them not liking it. That is unless they can't tell the difference between a good book and a bad book yet.
    When I first started reading comics, I couldn't tell the difference and picked up everything. I was picking unto 30 books a week. Then I realized that I wasn't enjoying most of them anymore. I ended up dropping all of my Marvel books because I realized that it was all of my Marvel books that I wasn't enjoying.
    Moral of story: people should just figure it out for themselves. They should figure out what they want to read because there are so many books with their own audiences. It is all subjective.

. . . Demon Knights isn't well loved. Not a lot of people like it. I am one of those people. I love Game of Thrones and Lord of the Rings is my bible, but I hate Demon Knights. It doesn't make sense, it doesn't work and its boring. Even if there is a writer change, the first issue's concept was so bad that it is impossible to get into down the line. It is like Frankenstein Agent of Shade.
    I have wanted to like both books, but they have been unreadable. There are small followings for both, but odds are to not turn a new reader toward it. There is a greater chance of them not liking it. That is unless they can't tell the difference between a good book and a bad book yet.
    How you're wording your thoughts is sometimes a little condescending there. By saying
    unless they can't tell the difference between a good book and a bad book yet
    you seem to imply people who like Demon Knights are immature (in terms of comic book reading) and don't have very good taste in what they read.

As someone who started reading comic books regulary in 1972 and who enjoyed the 1st Volume of Demon Knights in tpb, I could easily take that the wrong way.
    Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

At present in the stories there are 2 dial users (Nelson and Manteau) and they're teamed up.
    ASM, ELEKTRA, SILVERSURFER, DAREDEVIL, MOONKNIGHT, SHEHULK, FANTASTIC FOUR, MM, INVINCIBLE, INVINCIBLEU, MANHATTAN PR, E OF W, BLACKSCIENCE, BEDLAM, VELVET, TWD, SAGA, Mignolaverse, MASSIVE, MIND MGMT

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Demon Knights is terrible. If you're looking for a quality book, you need to hear from someone with actual good taste in plot. A lot of these people like books for really random reasons and think that a book is good because they like the tone or the characters. That is no way to read comics -- this isn't Marvel.
    So spoke the Burning Bush.

Quote Originally Posted by dubbauw View Post
    Just when I thought I'd decided... haha well what would you suggest? And why is Demon Knights so terrible?
    Do yourself a huge favor and don't listen to that guy.

A dozen people in the thread say they love Demon Knights and recommend you pick it up, and one naysayer cancels all that out? He's wrong. The plot is great along with the characters and tone.

BANNED

Alright yeah I also vouch for Demon Knights. The book "makes sense" fine enough. If you're familiar with Kurosawa's Seven Samurai, it's a more western, "Dungeons and Dragons" kind of version of that.

I'd suggest reading the first issue of Demon Knights on Comixology yourself to see if you like it. (it's only .99) I tried the first couple and didn't care for the book but to each their own. Giving it a try for a buck isn't too bad. I don't normally make suggestions to people who's reading choices are very different from my own.
    D-Deadman! You killed Deadman!!

Quote Originally Posted by stk View Post

A dozen people in the thread say they love Demon Knights and recommend you pick it up, and one naysayer cancels all that out? He's wrong. The plot is great along with the characters and tone.
    Haha don't worry, I'll at least try it out. And after I read it, I'll let you all know how I like it, and declare some victors. No spoils though
    Superhero Popularity Study

New and improved second poll is up!

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    How you're wording your thoughts is sometimes a little condescending there. By saying you seem to imply people who like Demon Knights are immature (in terms of comic book reading) and don't have very good taste in what they read.

As someone who started reading comic books regulary in 1972 and who enjoyed the 1st Volume of Demon Knights in tpb, I could easily take that the wrong way.
    I'm not saying people that like Demon Knights are immature. Again, it is subjective. I am talking about new readers. They're inexperienced and sometimes pick up the wrong books. They don't realize they like it or hate it until eight issues in. You totally took my words the wrong way.

Quote Originally Posted by stk View Post

OR here is a second though: don't listen to THIS guy. Yeah, it is true that people here love Demon Knights and those are also the only people who read Demon Knights. It has been proven time and time again that the internet community don't reflect sales. I never said that it wasn't understandable that people love Demon Knights, I am just saying that it isn't very good sales wise and review wise. There was a huge drop off at the beginning of the New 52 with this book because a lot of people were disappointed. You can get it if you want, and you might even enjoy it. There is evidence that it is a let-down though.

Quote Originally Posted by Xarcon View Post
    Between the three you listed, get JLD. However, I'd recommend I, Vampire above all of them.
    This. Absolutely this.

Dial H really isn't for everyone. It starts of great, but gets really all over the place.
    it really doesn't. you're just not paying enough attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Chang View Post
    it really doesn't. you're just not paying enough attention.
    I have all of the issues up-to-date. I know what is going on in the story and I do like it, but it is still kind of all over the place. And I don't think everyone likes it. The sales dropped immensely for this book and it is one of the worst selling New 52 book right now.