Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default What else to add..

So I'm currently reading Batman, Detective Comics, Phantom Stranger, and just jumped on Animal Man and Swamp Thing. I'm still new to comics and I'm looking to add another book or two to my current pull list. I'm torn between Dial H, JLD, Demon Knights. How are these? Any other recommendations based on what I'm reading so far?
    Superhero Popularity Study

New and improved second poll is up!

Demon Knights is great. Based on what you are already reading, that would be my suggestion.

Master of Time and Space Xarcon's Avatar

Between the three you listed, get JLD. However, I'd recommend I, Vampire above all of them.
    I'm still waiting for a new Wonder Twins ongoing. Let's make it happen, DC.

Out of those books, I would rank them:

Demon Knights
    Dial H
    Justice League Dark

But they are all pretty good.

You seem to like the darker, art-heavy books. You may want to give Batwoman a shot.
    Saga, Private Eye, Chew, Umbral, Deadly Class, Pretty Deadly

She-Hulk, Ghost Rider, Loki, Moon Knight, Iron Fist, Daredevil, Punisher, X-Factor

Haha you all make this even harder.

Quote Originally Posted by El Sombrero View Post
    Out of those books, I would rank them:

Demon Knights
    Dial H
    Justice League Dark

But they are all pretty good.

You seem to like the darker, art-heavy books. You may want to give Batwoman a shot.
    I guess I do like the darker books. How exactly is Batwoman darker? Like darker than most Bat-books in general...

Quote Originally Posted by dubbauw View Post
    Haha you all make this even harder.

I guess I do like the darker books. How exactly is Batwoman darker? Like darker than most Bat-books in general...
    It has a gothic tone and art style. The first five issues (which are collected in the first hardcover volume) are amazing, but then the artist and writing style changes in the second volume, and I don't like it anywhere near as much.

You could also consider getting the Batwoman: Elegy collection, which came out a few years ago, but introduces the character and her world. It leads pretty much directly into the current Batwoman series.

If you want to try stuff cheaply, DC has all the New 52 #1 issues up on Comixology (digital comics site) for 99 cents each. That would give you a good idea what you do or do not like. You can read Comixology on a computer, tablet, or cell phone. If you have a tablet that's the best way IMO, since a tablet screen is the closest thing to the size of a comic book. It's how I read all my new comics now and I really like it.

If you want to just stick with those initial three titles you were interested in, Demon Knights is definitely my favorite, but given your list I think you may like Justice League Dark the most, as it's more superhero based.

She-Hulk, Ghost Rider, Loki, Moon Knight, Iron Fist, Daredevil, Punisher, X-Factor

It has a gothic tone and art style. The first five issues (which are collected in the first hardcover volume) are amazing, but then the artist and writing style changes in the second volume, and I don't like it anywhere near as much.

You could also consider getting the Batwoman: Elegy collection, which came out a few years ago, but introduces the character and her world. It leads pretty much directly into the current Batwoman series.

If you want to try stuff cheaply, DC has all the New 52 #1 issues up on Comixology (digital comics site) for 99 cents each. That would give you a good idea what you do or do not like. You can read Comixology on a computer, tablet, or cell phone. If you have a tablet that's the best way IMO, since a tablet screen is the closest thing to the size of a comic book. It's how I read all my new comics now and I really like it.

If you want to just stick with those initial three titles you were interested in, Demon Knights is definitely my favorite, but given your list I think you may like Justice League Dark the most, as it's more superhero based.
    Thanks. I somehow feel like I would enjoy Demon Knights based on the stuff I've looked at, even though I didn't consider it at all when I first started looking around. I think I'll try that and Dial H for now, at least get the Demon Knights trade that's out, and maybe JLD later if I get bored waiting for more new ones. I'll also look at those Batwoman stuff, I'm not sure about a female lead (no offense to females out there), but I'll trust your judgement for now

Thanks. I somehow feel like I would enjoy Demon Knights based on the stuff I've looked at, even though I didn't consider it at all when I first started looking around. I think I'll try that and Dial H for now, at least get the Demon Knights trade that's out, and maybe JLD later if I get bored waiting for more new ones. I'll also look at those Batwoman stuff, I'm not sure about a female lead (no offense to females out there), but I'll trust your judgement for now
    Batwoman is not a stereotypically "girly" book at all, but that's cool. If you have a library or bookstore around you maybe you could pick it up and flip through to get a sense if you would like it.

I LOVE Demon Knights so I won't stop you there. The character work is really good and pretty much every issue is packed with fun action scenes. The plot is kind of secondary to the characters and action, but it doesn't bother me at all.

Batwoman is not a stereotypically "girly" book at all, but that's cool. If you have a library or bookstore around you maybe you could pick it up and flip through to get a sense if you would like it.

I LOVE Demon Knights so I won't stop you there. The character work is really good and pretty much every issue is packed with fun action scenes. The plot is kind of secondary to the characters and action, but it doesn't bother me at all.
    Nice, the characters are most important for me too as long as the plot isn't awful. Thanks a lot, Demon Knights sounds like a solid pickup. I'll let you know if I like it as soon as I start it. Thanks for the recommendation!

Demon Knights is getting a new writer though...
    BB

Nice, the characters are most important for me too as long as the plot isn't awful. Thanks a lot, Demon Knights sounds like a solid pickup. I'll let you know if I like it as soon as I start it. Thanks for the recommendation!
    Demon Knights is terrible. If you're looking for a quality book, you need to hear from someone with actual good taste in plot. A lot of these people like books for really random reasons and think that a book is good because they like the tone or the characters. That is no way to read comics -- this isn't Marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by doordoor123 View Post
    Demon Knights is terrible. If you're looking for a quality book, you need to hear from someone with actual good taste in plot. A lot of these people like books for really random reasons and think that a book is good because they like the tone or the characters. That is no way to read comics -- this isn't Marvel.
    Just when I thought I'd decided... haha well what would you suggest? And why is Demon Knights so terrible?

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Batson View Post
    Demon Knights is getting a new writer though...
    Yeah but that still leaves the OP sixteen issues to read, and if the new writer does a good job then it's a moot point.

Quote Originally Posted by doordoor123 View Post
    Thanks for this expert insight.

In your position I would either add Batwoman or Demon Knights. They relate tonally to the titles you currently pull, while introducing other elements. The most conservative choice would be JLD, however.

I read the first trade (issues 1 - 5) of Demon Knights and enjoyed that. I also read the first trade of I, Vampire and liked that even better. (And I'm probably as far from a fan of Twilight as you can get, but since this isn't like that dreck, . . . )

Wonder Woman is also a good book . . . yeah, it stars a "girl", but it's a bit bleaker than she was in the past and with an interesting reimagining of mythological figures in more modern times.
    Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.