Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Why is Reed Richards Evil?

Not sure if spoiler warnings are needed since this is old, but I have some questions about the Ultimate Comics: Ultimates by Jonathan Hickman.

When they revealed Reed Richards was behind the City of Tomorrow, I thought this would be some kind of mystery. But methinks this is based on the previous Ultimate Marvel books I have not read. So can anyone explain what's going on? Why is he evil?

Also can anyone explain Xorn/Zorn and the Ultimate version of the Eternals?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Strong View Post
    Not sure if spoiler warnings are needed since this is old, but I have some questions about the Ultimate Comics: Ultimates by Jonathan Hickman.

When they revealed Reed Richards was behind the City of Tomorrow, I thought this would be some kind of mystery. But methinks this is based on the previous Ultimate Marvel books I have not read. So can anyone explain what's going on? Why is he evil?

Also can anyone explain Xorn/Zorn and the Ultimate version of the Eternals?
    Xorn and Zorn where introduced Ultimates Comics: Hawkeye by Hickman. It was published at the same time as Hickman's Ultimates run.

On Vacation

He went batshit insane because Sue Storm rejected his marriage proposal. I kid you not.

On Vacation

But truth be told he was insane even before that.

Last edited by sage6paths; 11-18-2012 at 05:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sage6paths View Post
    He went batshit insane because Sue Storm rejected his marriage proposal. I kid you not.
    Was it not hinted that he always had the potential to become "evil", but his friends kept him in check?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by sage6paths View Post
    But truth be told he was insane even before that.

This certainly puts the City of Tomorrow into more context.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos_Alfa View Post
    Xorn and Zorn where introduced Ultimates Comics: Hawkeye by Hickman. It was published at the same time as Hickman's Ultimates run.
    Thanks, I will have to get that.

Reed going evil happened in Doomsday, a 3 event series, Enemy. Mystery. Doom. Each of those are a 4 issue mini series

True Superior Spider-Man Kurolegacy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos_Alfa View Post
    Was it not hinted that he always had the potential to become "evil", but his friends kept him in check?
    It's pretty much the truth of Reed Richards in general, including his 616 counterpart as shown by Hickman's run on FF. It's his family that keeps Reed from crossing the line and Ultimate Reed lost that very thing after Ultimatum and we all saw what happened. I'm honestly curious what will go on with him next time we see him.
    Holding out for a Peter/Miles team up.

BANNED

He developed a grand (but very cruel) ideology of justice in his mind, through years of fighting crime and seeing what science and his ingenuity could acheive and how he could change the world and make it perfect. And he was willing to sacrifice everything to do it. I guess after Sue dumped him, he thought he'd lost everything, and went mad with his ego, his genius and with having no other goal in life but to save the world. However. It still doesn't really make all much sense why or how he could just turn so wicked and so evil. Even if he did go insane, there was nothing really there that made sense as to why he'd want to sudddenly kill everybody. It wasn't like him to try and kill Ben Grimm, Peter Parker, The Ultimates etc. He did it apparently because he didn't want them to stop him. So he needed to sacrifice them for the greater good, as they would never allow him to take over the world. Reed is a very logical character. And his logic makes sense, wanting to eliminate the biggest threat to him. But it still didn't really feel right how he changed so inexplicably from nice guy hero to murderous psychopath, his values changing drastically from someone with morals to someone who wanted kill all of his friends. And that transition was written very badly my Brian Micheal Bendis in Ultimate Doomsday.

Then Hickman wrote him in the new series of The Ultimates. He did a much better job at what he had to work with. But then Humphries came along and ruined everything.

Still.. Reed isn't dead. So he'll probably return someday. I wish Humphries would try to do something with him and/or the Hulk. Thanks to Hickman, Evil Reed became one of the Ultimate Universe's greatest villains; and some would even say he was THE best... before Humphries took over. So there's still heaps of potential to make Reed a great villain. I want to at least see him in "The Cube" with Hulk. I would also like to see him interact with Ben. Can't he at least be mentioned by somebody? Humphries has pissed away pretty much everything that was great about Hickman's Ultimates.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie_Jee View Post
    Still.. Reed isn't dead. So he'll probably return someday. I wish Humphries would try to do something with him and/or the Hulk.
    Really?! Cuz I hope Humphries can stay as far away from Reed as possible as long as he is the writer of Ultimates. He doesn't get the character at all.

Wait for someone who actually has the chops to write Reed's return.
    Bring back Ultimate Doctor Doom

Sits on the shelf! President Kang's Avatar

He's really smart and the world doesn't conform to how he knows he can make it better for all of humanity. So he has to wipe it out but as he wipes it out he makes The City grow and take over and improve what was there, so it's not just destruction, it's creation in there as well.

I think it was seeing Franklin died, the rest of the members of the Fantastic Four (people he considered his family) breaking up without caring what he thought, and seeing how far Magneto would go to solve problems plus Doom role in it, and also how SHEILD failed to stop Ultimatum.

remember to Reed Richards of Earth Zombies, he went mad and insane after that She-Hulk Zombie ate to Franklin and Valeria, and infect to the other Fanastic Four, to that them infect to him, and afer o he world. Reed is someone very vindictive

Turning Reed evil was genius. Best thing to happen to this character, Ultimate or 616wise.