Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How powerful would fictional corporations be in real life?

Corporations like Wayne Enterprise, Luthor Corp and Stark Enterprise, for example?

Shadowrun corporations'd be more powerful than most of our real-world coutries.

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

Hell, Shadowrun Megacorps have basically replaced countries in some cases.

Most would be more powerful than most real life counterparts, but I wonder if some of them would end up getting busted by monopoly laws.
    It's a lie! My pants were off the entire time!

I've got a new site for RPGs: Total Pantaloonacy

Wayne would be outed as Batman in a few days. Luthor would be in Club Fed - next to Martha Stewart.

Stark - being out, might hang on.

Stark and Luthor would sell weapons tech to the government as compared to keeping it for individual silly plots and armored suits. They would be very rich.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    Wayne would be outed as Batman in a few days.
    Because everyone knows that in the real world, people far less intelligent than Batman have never successfully diverted hilariously large amount of money and/or resources for their personal use.

That aside, there's no reason why he'd need anywhere near the amount of resources if he were teleported in the real world. We don't have anything like Gotham in term of sheer corruption and he wouldn't need to be prepared for telepaths and other superpowered folks.
    Suffering is a fact of life. You survive if you find a reason to endure it.

Luthor would make a killing as a weapons contractor, as would Stark, if he were still in that business.

Stark would have had to turn repulsor tech over to the US government, as he built it wile on contract to them. He'd keep his reactor, but we'd see a lot of little iron man knock-offs replacing our soldiers.

The Umbrella Corp. would have killed everyone by now, unless we had Luther Corp. robots to protect us.

Q2 would probably be bought out by Apple.

Everything for Big Fire BitVyper's Avatar

Because everyone knows that in the real world, people far less intelligent than Batman have never successfully diverted hilariously large amount of money and/or resources for their personal use.
    I can't think of anyone who managed such a labour-intensive project as the bat cave and everything inside would be without anyone involved asking some questions/blowing the whistle. Plus this isn't just a hilariously large amount, this is like, bankrupt a small nation amount. The Batplane alone would cost tens of millions of dollars.
    Last edited by BitVyper; 11-18-2012 at 06:55 PM.
    I swim through a sea of stars
    without looking back to shore.
    Faster than light, bending time

Forever
    Wherever

Strrrrrrrrrrrrex mailedbypostman1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BitVyper View Post
    I can't think of anyone who managed such a labour-intensive project as the bat cave and everything inside would be without anyone involved asking some questions/blowing the whistle.
    Psh.

Everybody knows Batman built it himself.
    From a cave that was already there.
    From a box of scraps.
    Secretly.
    On his spare time.
    Strrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrex

Quote Originally Posted by BitVyper View Post
    I can't think of anyone who managed such a labour-intensive project as the bat cave and everything inside would be without anyone involved asking some questions/blowing the whistle.
    Except that it didn't involve hundreds of people working on it.

Yes, it's unrealistic. But that's how it's presented.

I'd like to see Umbrella and Shinra try to out-evil one another.

Quote Originally Posted by cbrer View Post
    I'd like to see Umbrella and Shinra try to out-evil one another.
    Umbrella wins.

Shinra was pretty mild, aside from Hojo. Hell, they spend most of the game actively trying to save the world.

BANNED

Wolfram and Hart, with access to various dimensions and godlike beings, in addition to vast funds and resources, would no doubt be "quite powerful" in the real world...

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Toha Heavy Industries crushes all the competition in a matter of days.

Also Veidt Industries would be quite worrying in the real world. Ozymandias did say to the combined heads of the oil industry; "I could buy and sell you all three times over," that's some pretty serious scratch he's got there.
    Nik Hasta: "I'm not a ninja dammit!"

Respect the Mamudo Children!
    Follow me on Tumblr!

DOOM DEMANDS MORE NACHOS!

Nearly any comic megacorp could do that (buy the oil industry three times over).

Hell, even much smaller concerns - imagine Stark Resilient in the real world: OK, here's a tiny battery you put into anything and it's powered forever, for just the buy-in cost. They control the world in two weeks (sure, they have to survive Saudi and Exxon hit-squads, but they've got Iron Man tech as well, so, no biggie there).

Roxxon, Hammer, Stark back in the day, Rand, WDG - any of those, in the real world, would run the place in days. Every single government on earth would be desperate to kiss their asses.

The Batplane would have to cost more than a F-22, so we are talking hundreds of millions of dollars. The engines would have to be bought from someone like RR or General Dynamics. Since they contain incredibly expensive tech and materials - Bats ain't making it himself. The stealth coatings and design are beyond any individual - even Bats.

NO way to keep that secret. As many said - the government would and commercial applications would make Stark and Lex rich beyond belief. As someone once said:

You are antigravity man. So you make antigravity boots and go rob a bank so you can get - pounded by Supes, shot with an arrow, punched with a giant green energy glove or tied up in a magic lasso. OR - you sell it to Boeing and be fabulously rich.