View Poll Results: Which film are you MOST EXCITED to see?

Voters
18. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Amour

0 0%
  • Argo

2 11.11%
  • Beasts of the Southern Wild

0 0%
  • Django Unchained

6 33.33%
  • Hitchcock

0 0%
  • the Impossible

0 0%
  • les Misérables

1 5.56%
  • Life of Pie

5 27.78%
  • Lincoln

2 11.11%
  • the Master

1 5.56%
  • Promised Land

0 0%
  • the Sessions

0 0%
  • Silver Linings Playbook

1 5.56%
  • Trouble with the Curve

0 0%
  • Zero Dark Thirty

0 0%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium View Post
    I was half hoping it would be a non musical version, because I love the story but not a fan of most musicals

but Jackman as Jean Valjean might get me to go see it

Personaly I don't mind it being a musical because most other filmed versions were non-musical. If we want a relatively recent take that was pretty decent and it wasn't a musical we just have to watch the Liam Neeson/Jeffrey Rush version. Neeson was the perfect non-singing Jean Valjean.
    Legato - Frank, Calm Down Your Nerd Rage!

BUY LOKI: AGENT OF ASGARD Kieran_Frost's Avatar

THE SESSIONS (2012)
    dir. Ben Lewin
    Starring: John Hawkins [nom.], Helen Hunt [OSCAR] and William H. Macy [nom.]
    "I don't know how to please you Lord, but I think the fact I try to please you, pleases you."

SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK (2012)
    dir. David O'Russell [nom.]
    Starring: Bradley Cooper, Jennifer Lawrence [nom.], Jackie Weaver [nom.], Chris Tucker and Rober deNiro [OSCAR]
    "I don't know how to please you Lord, but I think the fact I try to please you, pleases you."

Quote Originally Posted by passer-by View Post
    Could that have anything to do with the fact that it was independently-produced?

I'm surprised at the "shitty" reviews - it is an excellent film which IMO deserves major awards for editing, make-up and adapted screenplay at the very least. And at least a nomination for best picture.
    As for bombing in the BO - it wasn't shown in many theaters for an extended period of time, was it? Quite a few people here and elsewhere mentioned that it was taken off the screens or left with only one showing a day pretty quickly.
    That's usually a sign that a film is under performing, theaters want to make money so they get rid of movies that aren't selling tickets pretty fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    In my opinion what made City of God more than just a street movie was the fantastic cinematography. So many movies copied the look of this movie after it was released and they still do.
    The cinematography was hit or miss for me. I can't deny that the movie has some breathtaking camerawork, but some of it goes a little overboard.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    That's usually a sign that a film is under performing, theaters want to make money so they get rid of movies that aren't selling tickets pretty fast.
    bingo...my sister works for the Regal Chain here in the northeast and they have a metric that if a movie has a certain amount of what they call low starts or no starts...that means showtime comes and there is no one or very few people in the theater, it will start reducing showings
    Support your local roller derby league

Quote Originally Posted by jesse_custer View Post
    The cinematography was hit or miss for me. I can't deny that the movie has some breathtaking camerawork, but some of it goes a little overboard.
    The look of the movie was tremendous to me, especially the pastel coloring.
    Legato - Frank, Calm Down Your Nerd Rage!

Could that have anything to do with the fact that it was independently-produced?
    I don't think so because it was marketed like a studio film...and it was ambitious, but just not that good IMO

hence why no one went to see it
    Support your local roller derby league

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium View Post
    I don't think so because it was marketed like a studio film...and it was ambitious, but just not that good IMO

hence why no one went to see it
    Well, sure, it was no Transformers or Twilight..............................

Pity. Then again, as H.L. Mencken put it, "You can never go wrong by underestimating the taste of the American public".

Well, sure, it was no Transformers or Twilight..............................

Pity. Then again, as H.L. Mencken put it, "You can never go wrong by underestimating the taste of the American public".

P. T. Barnum said it better, "Nobody ever lost a dollar by underestimating the taste of the American public."

ZERO DARK THIRTY (2012)
    dir. Kathryn Bigelow [OSCAR]
    Starring: Jessica Chastain [nom.] and Kyle Chandler

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOMINATIONS CAME OUT TODAY! Very happy every film nominated for "Best Picture" was in my list. YEY, me!

BEST FILM
    • Amour
    • Argo
    • Beasts Of The Southern Wild
    • Django Unchained
    • Les Miserables
    • Lincoln
    • Life Of Pi
    • Silver Linings Playbook
    • Zero Dark Thirty

Quote Originally Posted by the goddamn batman View Post
    Django Unchained is an Oscar contender?
    Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Yeah, that one caught me by surprise as well.
    So Django is an Oscar contender, but Cloud Atlas is not?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    Yeah where the hell is Cloud Atlas.
    Resisting... urge... to... GLOAT!!!
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 01-10-2013 at 07:38 AM.

Gloat away

That would be like gloating because you said grass is green. It was obvious as hell that the Academy was going nowhere near Cloud Atlas, and based on Oscar history, we know Tarantino gets his wee-wee pulled here and there.

Quote Originally Posted by jesse_custer View Post
    That would be like gloating because you said grass is green. It was obvious as hell that the Academy was going nowhere near Cloud Atlas, and based on Oscar history, we know Tarantino gets his wee-wee pulled here and there.
    Actually... before Django Unchained (2012), Tarantino has only be nominated for Inglorious B*stards (2009) and Pulp Fiction (1994). I think you are giving Tarantino a little too much "everything he does is Oscar gold" credit; though he WAS a strong contender, agreed. But, much like me, you in this thread felt Django would get nominated. That said he isn't nominated for Best Director this year, either.

I didn't say everything he does is Oscar gold. I said he gets his wee-wee pulled here and there.

Anytime one of your movies gets nominated, you get your wee-wee pulled a little. I say this because you left out Jackie Brown.