Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What title do you think could use a second writer?

So, at present, we know about several upcoming or current writing teams on a book, etc. Tynion IV is working with Snyder on Talon for the first arc, Giffen is going to join Levitz on LoSH, Nicieza is scripting for Lobdell on TT for probably as long as the H'el and DotF crossovers at least, Fawkes is joining Lemire on JLD, Goyer is going to be working on something big with Johns...

Most of those are pretty good moves. Talon is mainly Tynion's project but having Snyder write it with him makes his book sell better, Giffen and Levitz previously wrote the definitive LoSH run, Niceza's dialogue and exposition is better than Lobdell's, Lemire has too many projects to do JLD alone and has managed to bring in another indie writer, and Johns and Goyer's prior work on JSA is well-acclaimed (can't speak further, haven't read it ). Sometimes a second writer can add a lot that one wouldn't have thought of, or be the person to point out what won't work, so I thought it raises an interesting question. What titles do you think could do with gaining a new writer and yet still not getting rid off the first?

I'll throw out a couple suggestions.

Earth 2. Robinson probably needs someone else to script for him at this point, I think enough people can see there are issues with the dialogue, despite whether it personally takes you out of the story or not.

Nightwing. Kyle Higgins writes Dick really well and gets his voice perfectly, but his stories haven't really been that special, or they're just rather reliant on Snyder's work. I'd rather see Higgins focusing mainly on the script at this point while someone else does the actual story ideas.

There are more titles that I think need a straight up new writer than a second / co-writer.

I will totally agree with Earth 2 & James Robinson, someone to smooth out the dialogue.
    Saga, Private Eye, Chew, Umbral, Deadly Class, Pretty Deadly

She-Hulk, Ghost Rider, Loki, Moon Knight, Iron Fist, Daredevil, Punisher, X-Factor

I think Johns needs a co-writer on all of his books. Let Johns be the idea man and have someone do the dirty work and write the dialogue and pace the story. Justice League is dying for someone to push the pace forward and to write better characterization and character interactions.

I agree on Earth 2 as well. I really like that book but it could be smoother to read.

BANNED

Earth-2 absolutely. Someone like Judd Winnick or Tony Bedard, who write technically fine, but unambitious to balance Robinson's ideas, but terrible dialogue.

Johns on any of his books because of his work load + mediocre books. Probably go with Justice League. David Goyer is probably too busy in the movie world, but would be nice.

Justice League without a doubt
    Pull-list: Action Comics, Batman, Superior Spider-Man, Flash, Daredevil, Ms Marvel, Silver Surfer, Thor: God of Thunder

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Justice League
    Green Lantern
    Legion of Superheroes

As much as I do like Justice League, a second writer could fix a lot of issues. Don't know who, but somebody decent.

Justice League.
    Pull List: Action Comics, Batman, Chew, Hawkeye, Iron Man, Saga, Stormwatch, Wonder Woman

LOSH. No disrespect to Mr.Levitz at all but LOSH is one title that I dropped not too long ago with a heavy heart. I'm sure Kieth Giffen's art will add to the appeal but this book seems to have been missing something for me story wise for some time. Paul is hands down one of the greatest (if not the greatest) contributor of things that have made LOSH awesome to me but the book seems to be missing something and I can't put my finger on it. Levitz still has a lot to contribute to the title, he understands the voices of the Legion better then anyone I can easily think of but perhaps the title would gain a great deal if there were some fresh energy in the mix and maybe 30 years down the road or so someone will be mentioning how well that writer understands the Legion and what Mr.Levitz had to do with that.
    ASM, ELEKTRA, SILVERSURFER, DAREDEVIL, MOONKNIGHT, SHEHULK, FANTASTIC FOUR, MM, INVINCIBLE, INVINCIBLEU, MANHATTAN PR, E OF W, BLACKSCIENCE, BEDLAM, VELVET, TWD, SAGA, Mignolaverse, MASSIVE, MIND MGMT

You Can't Dye My Hair GoldStarz's Avatar

Batgirl needs a new first writer or at least someone to get the ball rolling in a different direction so that this feels morel like an evolution, rather than regression, for the character.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldStarz View Post
    Batgirl needs a new first writer or at least someone to get the ball rolling in a different direction so that this feels morel like an evolution, rather than regression, for the character.
    That's a tough call for anyone. She's been regressed from an important impact player in the DCU to a street level crime fighter. I think it needs time and distance more than anything else.

A second writer is primarily useful in the following circumstances;
    1. When the first writer cannot write
    2. When the first writer lacks the time or focus to meet deadlines
    3. When the task is deep, broad or complex enough to demand or benefit from the synthesis of multiple styles and perspectives

In the first case, the first writer should simply be replaced. The second case would be, I hazard, the case with Justice League Dark. The third case is exemplified by Gotham Central and the alternating performance betwixt Brubaker and Rucka.

Robinson might benefit from a second writer, Johns definitely would, but Johns' titles might just benefit from replacement.

I actually really like Johns' books, including Justice League. Green Lantern is consistently exciting and Aquaman is one of the best out of the entire new 52. I think a lot of people don't give him enough credit.

Suicide Squad (see #1 of aaronghunter's list).

Quote Originally Posted by brandnewfan View Post
    I actually really like Johns' books, including Justice League. Green Lantern is consistently exciting and Aquaman is one of the best out of the entire new 52. I think a lot of people don't give him enough credit.
    I generally dig John's work. I got off the Green Lantern train a while ago though, right before War of the Green Lanterns and while I was digging the books for sometime before then I couldn't imagine getting back into the lanterns at anytime really. I strongly prefer the wacky patchwork universe that was in R.E.B.E.L.S. and all that other space adventure stuff and the ring corps, over time, brought a kinda homogeneity to the cosmic corner of the DCU that I don't really enjoy as much as I would otherwise. That said, it's more just personal preference and nothing to do with Johns being a bad or even middling writer..
    ASM, ELEKTRA, SILVERSURFER, DAREDEVIL, MOONKNIGHT, SHEHULK, FANTASTIC FOUR, MM, INVINCIBLE, INVINCIBLEU, MANHATTAN PR, E OF W, BLACKSCIENCE, BEDLAM, VELVET, TWD, SAGA, Mignolaverse, MASSIVE, MIND MGMT