I caught you red-handed Wild_Child's Avatar

Default Did this actually scare people?

I was reading an Eerie hardcover and I heard this scared people.It wasn't actually scary for me, it was campy.It was fun and interesting to read.I felt like I was watching an 60's horror movie.Did this actually scare people?

I think the older horror comic books scared some people. Some of them are more mind-bending in terms of storylines rather than explicit.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild_Child View Post
    I was reading an Eerie hardcover and I heard this scared people.It wasn't actually scary for me, it was campy.It was fun and interesting to read.I felt like I was watching an 60's horror movie.Did this actually scare people?
    Well just because something doesn't scare you you can't assume that others will feel the same way. I've watched a million horror movies and read tons of horror books and comics so I feel pretty numb towards being scared by that sort of thing. I imagine that others with less experience in the genre might tend to get creeped out a bit more easily.
    Life looks better in black and white.

Do you mean Warren's Eerie or Eerie Publications?

On the Warrens, my cousin would read my copies and have nightmares for a month. Eerie publications are scarier in the fact that they were actually produced, printed and sold to children.
    "It's just lines on paper, folks!"

I caught you red-handed Wild_Child's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MDG View Post
    Do you mean Warren's Eerie or Eerie Publications?

On the Warrens, my cousin would read my copies and have nightmares for a month. Eerie publications are scarier in the fact that they were actually produced, printed and sold to children.
    It was warren's Eerie.

When I was an 11/12-year-old in the very early 80's Warren's horror magazines were hardcore. I don't know if I would say they "Scared" me but there was an awesome feeling of the forbidden, the dangerous, the sexy...that I was looking at something that I probably shouldn't be. The fact that they were extremely well-written and drawn probably added to this sense of dark awe.

If memory serves, only two comics have truly scared me: Swamp Thing Annual #3 (the part with Arcane asking how long he's been there) and Space Ghost (DC)--can't recall the issue number, but I'm guessing #4 or so, where SG learns what happened to his family. Not appropriate to the tone of that character, but wow. Terrifying.

Something at the back of my head says The Lords of Misrule by Tomlinson & Erskine creeped me out, but I can't recall an exact scene of terror--it was more of an overall feeling.
    Anyway, it is cool for you to acquire acrimony of crumbling time on blast this website.
    --best spam ever

When I read them as an 11-year-old I don't remember them really scaring me, but because they were really emotionally dense and because they were in graytones some of them gave me a deep feeling of unease, almost like depression.

I would have been scared to death of them if I'd found them as a smaller child, though. Any intense drawing scared me when I was about six or seven. I had a Don Martin book that freaked me out so much I hid it in an end table so I wouldn't have to see it. The violence and exaggerated drawings in those didn't seem slapstick, it seemed terrifying. Also, anyone remember that Marvel Magazine, Paradox? That traumatized me, because someone takes a drug in it that kills them. I slowly got adjusted to that sort of thing through Mad and Cracked magazines.

That makes me realize my comics diet when I was a kid wasn't all super kid friendly. I read whatever my dad brought into the house that had any kind of comics in it, so in addition to Warren magazines there was Sex to Sexty, Playboy Comics, National Lampoon, High Times comics, and other things like that. And I would rent 80s and 90s era horror movies every weekend at the video store. After a while I got pretty hard to shock. As an adult I was a reporter and covered a bunch of violent crimes, too, so that further desensitized me.

Maybe the only comic that has scared me as an adult has been Boiled Angel. And with Boiled Angel it was just more the fear of being in this guy's head, even for a moment, than the childish drawings of rape and dismemberment. There's a sickness that almost wafts off the page.
    Last edited by Shawn Hopkins; 11-19-2012 at 06:04 AM.

Were I a kid in the 1960s that hadn't had years of explicit horror movies and books under my belt already, they might have scared me. Different time, different exposure to types of media.
    "There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and some day, they will. And that's how Sue Cs it."- Sue Sylvester, "Glee"

I don't know if this would be similar but I remember first reading a G.I.Joe comic that had Storm Shadow using his bow and arrow to kill a Cobra soldier with the arrow going through the poor guy, mind you I was so used to the friendly sanitized cartoon version of G.I.Joe that the image was rather disturbing.

I was scared by the Wizard of Oz when I was a little kid and it still creeps me out. That movie gave me nightmares. I found the same with some comic books--they creeped me out when I was awake, but the worse thing was the nightmares.

The three comics that scared me the most when I was a kid were: Batman 180, Lois Lane 77, and Batman 202.

Since Ear is willing to admit he was scared by a Lois Lane comic, I'll admit that I was freaked out by #84.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lois_Lane_84.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	74.3 KB 
ID:	104537
    "It's just lines on paper, folks!"

Thinking of things that scared me - The Thunderbirds. Gee they were scary! Same with Doctor Who! Just the music would send me running from the room.