Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default Why exactly would Joker have wanted to have his face cut off?

Exactly as thread title describes, because it's been puzzling me for a while. So, theory time.

Methinks one of the following:
    -Joker wanted to show if he could shed his face, Batman could shed his family just as easily, because Joker's face represents the same thing to him as Batman's family does to him. If you think about it, Bruce came to the realisation that Batman was born when he rang the bell and Alfred saved his life- that he was never alone is the first truth of Batman, what made him Batman. As such, Joker was born when he took off the helmet and saw the reflection of his face for the first time. So Joker's point is that he doesn't need his face- what made him Joker- the same way as Bruce doesn't need help- what made him Batman.

-Joker decides what with Batman Inc and the Court of Owls, well, he needs to get his own club as well, so realises his own symbol is his face, so has it removed so it can be passed around.

-The Joker is a huge Nicolas Cage fan and is planning on cutting off Bruce's face to stick on his and vice-versa, tying into the plans the Black Glove had for Bruce, to mutilate his brain-damaged form to resemble Joker.

-The Joker gets to the point where he's just about to explain why he did it when Jason shoots him in the back of the head at the same time Damian decapitates the Clown Prince of..actually, am I the only one who thinks that's weird now? The Joker's the Clown Prince of Crime (and according to Tim Burton, is also a fan of Prince), whereas Batman is the Dark Knight. So why's the former the court jester and the latter the king?

Because comics aren't just for kids any more, and don't you forget it!
    Christ, do I have to do all the thinking for the entire fucking Internet? - Michael P

You want the Joker to do something that makes sense?!?
    Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

He's having a midlife crisis... Why would a villain who thrives on theatricality and being a showman take off the one thing that shows emotion?

I caught you red-handed Wild_Child's Avatar

I think he did it just the sake of being edgy.

Because he's the god damn Joker.

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

He wasn't pleased w/ the pore work on his facial. So he asked for the whole thing to be removed!
    Comics were happier before the Internet turned writing superhero stories into fruitless attempts to impress/entertain a small group of ppl who appear to hate comics and their creators.
    Grant Morrison

I Kick Crime in the Balls The Greatest Hero's Avatar

Shock value.

Because some hack writer who had no intention of following up on this thought it'd be cool.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

He's messed-up insane and thought it would be cool. It's not like he cares about his looks.
    DC: Wonder Woman
    Marvel: Daredevil, Hawkeye
    Creator-Owned: Fables, Fatale, Lazarus, Saga

Quote Originally Posted by Brack360 View Post
    He's messed-up insane and thought it would be cool. It's not like he cares about his looks.
    Yeah, that's what Harley's for.
    Looking for artists, know I won't find any. That blows.

He wanted a face lift but he never realized the implications of an "at-home face-lift" had.

Because Tony Daniel used it as shock value and it was stupid.
    PSN: BloodOps
    "Tt..You can't just build a boat and hope darkness magically sails away with it."

"Why not? It's my boat."

Quote Originally Posted by BloodOps View Post
    Because Tony Daniel used it as shock value and it was stupid.
    Wasn't it Snyder's idea?

Because he's *spooky voice and waves hands eerily* Craaaaazzzzyyyyyyy...

It's a convenient (aka lazy) catch-all that magically explains anything any writer ever has him do.

That said, it's not a horrible look for a character who has been presented the last few decades as an insane serial killer.