Default Should Sandman become "good" again?

It always felt idiotic that in order to have Sandman go down the dark path again that they had The Wizard plant a chip into his brain.

Sandman was one of the few Spider-Man villains who actually grew over the years. IT was gradual, but it happened and it actually worked. While he wasn't a hero per say, he wasn't a villain either.

I felt like it showed us that people can change and that things don't always have to remain the same.

Sadly, this character growth was retconned via a chip. I always wondered why didn't Spider-Man care a bit more, as the two had a mutual respect that grew. One day Sandman goes nuts again and Spidey just gives it a shrug?

I've always felt that maybe there was a way of retconning the Wizard chip retcon, but it hasn't happened yet.

It's always felt weird that the character is doing what he is doing, because of something techological program versus doing what he is doing because of who he is.

Four degrees higher Cheesedique's Avatar

I don't see what good there is in turning Spidey's villains into good guys. And this is coming from someone who counts Amazing #280-281 as some of his favorite issues ever.

Really, they should make Sandman more of an evil badass, IMO. They've already gone down the road of semi-reforming him, and then undoing it.

I liked some of the stories in which he's a reformed villain, but he also has one of the best power-sets of any Spider-Man foe.

While the way he became a villain again was problematic (because you expect a story in which the brainwashing is undone), there has been some good material with Sandman as the bad guy.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Formerly,
    Cyberman

Blog,
    What Would Spidey Do?

How long was he an Avenger for?

Quote Originally Posted by EXCELSIOR 2.0 View Post
    How long was he an Avenger for?
    I don't know how long we was a reserve Avenger for, but he was pretty much reformed from the mid 1980's to 2000.

While I don't like how he was returned to villainy, (Stupid Wizard...), I like that Sandman is an A-list supervillian who's essentially a nice guy. It makes him stand out, and some good stories have been told with him in this position.

no! I do not want this to happen. leave it alone.