View Poll Results: Should David Cronenberg produce the next Spider-Man movie?

Voters
9. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Yes

1 11.11%
  • No

8 88.89%

Default Should David Cronenberg produce the next Spider-Man film?

The next Amazing Spider-Man film should be just like the Fly(1986). Perhaps David Cronenberg should produce the next Spider-Man flick to depict the Fly. Don't you agree?

I think he would do an amazing job with turning Peter Parker into his own version of The Man-Spiider:

And here is his famous movie:

I must say that Jeff Goldblum did a fantastic job with this film. It's a shame that he hasn't gotten the chance to do another breakout role ever since.

Junior Member UltimateMarvel_Fan501's Avatar

If I'm not mistaken, David Cronenberg has said that he is adamantly against superhero films. He talked a lot of trash about The Dark Knight Rises and all the hype it was getting. As such, I highly doubt he would want to do it, and even if he did, I think he wouldn't be a good fit just because I don't think he understands superhero films, IMO.

Cronenberg doesn't care for superhero films, and his sensibilities don't quite fit Hollywood blockbusters.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Formerly,
    Cyberman

Blog,
    What Would Spidey Do?

Having said all that, if someone produced Spider-Man vs. Brundel-Fly, I'd buy the hell out of it.

Four degrees higher Cheesedique's Avatar

It'll never happen.

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateMarvel_Fan501 View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, David Cronenberg has said that he is adamantly against superhero films. He talked a lot of trash about The Dark Knight Rises and all the hype it was getting. As such, I highly doubt he would want to do it, and even if he did, I think he wouldn't be a good fit just because I don't think he understands superhero films, IMO.
    Who says Cronenberg has to make a superhero film? It's more about the mutation that Peter Parker is undergoing into the Man-Spider. It has nothing to do with crime fighting. It's more about Peter trying to find a cure for his condition with Dr. Conners helping him to find a cure. The idea is for David Cronenberg to create his own version of Spider-Man as the Man-Spider horror film. Something that Marvel has yet to do. Imagine David Cronenberg doing the Man-Thing as a horror film in addition to Man-Spider? Besides, when was the last time anyone remembers the Man-Spider being used?

Last edited by Darthfury78; 11-17-2012 at 10:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    Who says Cronenberg has to make a superhero film? It's more about the mutation that Peter Parker is undergoing into the Man-Spider. It has nothing to do with crime fighting. It's more about Peter trying to find a cure for his condition with Dr. Conners helping him to find a cure. The idea is for David Cronenberg his own version of Spider-Man as the Man-Spider horror film. Something that Marvel has yet to do. Imagine David Cronenberg doing the Man-Thing as a horror film in addition to Man-Spider?
    At which point, why wouldn't Cronenberg just make his own movie?

Spider-Man's going to be a superhero film because Spider-Man is a superhero.

Cronenberg has done bang up adaptations before, including adapting comics to film, but if this ain't his bag, more power to him doing what he wants to do.

Separately, Hollywood Reporter is full of shit with that "the closest he's come" since he has done a comic book adaptation. What he's not, though, is a maker of children's movies, and yes, Nolan's Bat-flicks are, for all their pretentious politicking and levels of violence, children's films at their core. Nor, are they "an elevated art form," which is his other point.

Further, he's up front about the checks and balances thing, the control element being an issue for him. And, he's right. If you're going to go commercial, go commercial, but don't make a Batman movie and pretend it's about high art and not primarily concerned with effectively selling toys and Halloween costumes, and about filling seats and making cash.
    Last edited by T Hedge Coke; 11-18-2012 at 07:44 AM.

Peachy Keen Gabe De Los Muertos's Avatar

This like getting Conor Oberst to make a Christmas album or Jonathan Franzen to write a teen fantasy series.
    Formerly DetectiveDupin.
    Tumblr
    Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    The next Amazing Spider-Man film should be just like the Fly(1986). Perhaps David Cronenberg should produce the next Spider-Man flick to depict the Fly. Don't you agree?

I think he would do an amazing job with turning Peter Parker into his own version of The Man-Spiider:

And here is his famous movie:

I must say that Jeff Goldblum did a fantastic job with this film. It's a shame that he hasn't gotten the chance to do another breakout role ever since.
    Did you seriously just disregard Jurassic Park?

Quote Originally Posted by EXCELSIOR 2.0 View Post
    Did you seriously just disregard Jurassic Park?
    Jeff Goldblum had a supporting role rather than a lead role in the Jurassic Park films. He did had another lead role in Law and Order: Criminal Intent. But on the silver screen, I haven't seen him in a major lead role since The Fly. The kind of roles that Johnny Depp, Mark Wahlberg and Leonardo Decaprio have taken advantage of.

I would love to see David Cronenberg to head up a Horror Films project on Marvel's characters.

Here is his views on THE FLY.

Last edited by Darthfury78; 11-19-2012 at 06:31 PM.