Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Stories where the main focus is Clark Kent?

Stories where the main focus is Clark Kent ? (is that question mark good enough for your taste, MajorHoy? )

Could you help me with some of those? I mean, stories, or may be some issues, where Clark Kentīs problems and conflicts were the topic under the spotlight.

I donīt mean young Clark/Smallville kind of stuff, but grown up Clark Kentīs stories.

Under a yellow sun comes right to my mind, but thatīs it...

I also know that Byrneīs period was very fond of that side of Supermanīs character, but I can not recall any specific issue.

Anyway, my limited knowledge just reaches this point, if you remember somethins else...
    Last edited by Charlus; 11-17-2012 at 11:08 AM.

It's not totally focused on Clark, but Kurt Busiek's Up, Up, and Away does a lot with that side of the character.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	174-1.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	53.1 KB 
ID:	104388

This is probably the most famous.

Quote Originally Posted by misslane38 View Post
    It's not totally focused on Clark, but Kurt Busiek's Up, Up, and Away does a lot with that side of the character.
    Hmmm...a powerless Clark Kent? Sounds interesting, I will check it out, although I hope he doesnīt intend to grab a cheeseburger at a diner and leaves Lois at the counter all by herself...

Quote Originally Posted by Mac! View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	174-1.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	53.1 KB 
ID:	104388

This is probably the most famous.
    Is that from the 70īs? I donīt know if Iīm right cause I am not very familiarized with that period, but could it be that the Bronze Age was more given to Clark Kentīs stories?

There were a lot of Clark Kent stories in the Bronze Age. Mostly shorter stories or back-up stories, but still. I remember one about adult Clark having to deal with putting his dead parents' house up for sale. I think the final year or so of Superman Family ('79/'80) all featured Clark Kent stories.

Also, one of my favorite stories, Superman #296-299 (1976) features Clark's attempt at a life separate from being Superman.

I really liked Under A Yellow Sun.

Superman vs writer's block!
    The two most powerful warriors are patience and time - Leo Tolstoy

Quote Originally Posted by Charlus View Post
    Is that from the 70īs? I donīt know if Iīm right cause I am not very familiarized with that period, but could it be that the Bronze Age was more given to Clark Kentīs stories?
    Clark Kent had a rather busy public life in the 60s and a busy "Private Life" in the 70s. You can tell the age of the comics by such things as the DC bullet, the Comic Code cert (and its size), the issue number, and the price. Superman 174 is from the 60s--as are these (though the first reprints some stories going back to the 50s--note the groovy Go-Go Checks, the sure sign of the best in comics entertainment).

Birthright and Terra Occulta leap to mind. Birthright's far more about the Clark end of things for its first third or so maybe halfway, and it's a big deal, regardless, while in the Elseworlds Terra Occulta, even when he's flying in the air, he's Clark Kent, hardest man of journalism. Clark's young in Birthright, but he's not Superboy-young, he's not a kid. And, in Terra Occulta, he's a main character, but not the.

Also, New Maps of Hell opens as a story Clark Kent is investigating and only by the end of the first issue involves the entire JLA (and robots, and the Devil, and 40 million years old Martian history, and and and). It's not the whole story, but Clark's relationship with his wife, his city, his job, the police, and his sense of justice all come into play to ground the entire comic.

Last edited by T Hedge Coke; 11-17-2012 at 06:34 PM.

There was an annual (Superman or Action) during the Pulp Heroes theme had one summer. Might do a Google to find the exact issue.
    In search of Claire...or Libby Hoeler :D

"What is illness to the body of a knight-errant? What matter wounds? For each time he falls, he shall rise again, and woe to the wicked.
    "

When you think of it Superman and Clark are always the same person, so there really is no difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher-Z View Post
    When you think of it Superman and Clark are always the same person, so there really is no difference.
    Same guy, but different job and different dynamics with other people. And, yeah, that makes stories centering on the Clark/journalist aspect different, in the same way stories of Watson as an army doctor would by necessity be different from the ones where he's following Holmes around offering to shoot any one-armed ninja midgets who might take a crack at the great detective while he's busy thinking.

Well in that way I could see. I didnt think OP meant it that specifically, since a lot of people never read Superman comics, especially before the reboot and might think theres a personality shift and what not.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher-Z View Post
    There's a huge difference if you want to read about the normal man and his private life, job, interacting with co-workers and friends, etc., rather than about a muscle guy flying around in a leotard punching people.

Yes, we just went over that. Personality wise he's pretty much the same.