Default Older panels revisited

So, recently All New X-Men #1 came out, and it featured a sequence of pages that serve to transplant an old sequence from 60s X-Men # 8, 'The Uncanny Threat of Unus the Untouchable', at the start of which an angry Hank McCoy tells Scott Summers that he wishes to quit the X-Men after he and Iceman were attacked by a frenzied crowd.

The preview pages of this sequence can be found here: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...eview&id=14172

Now this part of X-Men #8 happens to be one of my favourite pages in early X-Men (because it was the first time anti-mutant feelings had been portrayed in such a vicious way, and this reaction was something I didn't expect from Hank).

While I'm not up-to-date on current comic books, I still occasionally browse the previews. And when I first saw these two pages of All-New X-Men, I was skeptical for how the dialogue had been changed and expanded, and perhaps also toward the (seemingly) gratuitous 'damn' that was inserted. But laying the original comic side by side with the re-imagining, I must say it pays fine homage to Stan Lee's dialogue, while tweaking it just enough to be appropriate for current times, and expanding four panels into two pages. And it stays true to the original source well enough.

So I was wondering: do you know of anywhere in comics of the Big Two's universes where this has been done before? That, perhaps a character would travel back in time and go back to a familiar issue, or that there would be a flashback that re-uses dialogue and artwork from past issues?

I recall an FF issue (John Bryne?) where they travel back to #4 when The Thing assumed the roll of Bluebeard the pirate

Memory is really fuzzy here, but wasn't there a sequence in Englehart's West Coast Avengers where they time traveled and interacted with some key moments in Marvel History (I am thinking there was a Rama-Tut sequence, a Thing as the pirate (mentioned above) and a few others, plus an astral Doc Strange involved somehow). Now I haven't read this since they came out in the 80's so my memory of them is very vague and hazy, but I seem to recall them doing something of the sort you talked about with aping panels and dialogue from older issues in a new story.

-M
    A lunatic is easily recognized...You can tell him by the liberties he takes with common sense...and by the fact that sooner or later he brings up the Templars.
    -Umberto Eco

I have a feeling me and MRP are thinking the same thing

Checking out the GCBD, the issue I was thinking of was West Coast Avengers #22 and it was part of a storyline called Lost in Space-Time that started in WCA #17.

http://www.comics.org/issue/43118/ for synopsis

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	61GNcDwADnL._SL500_AA300_.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	31.4 KB 
ID:	104397

-M
    A lunatic is easily recognized...You can tell him by the liberties he takes with common sense...and by the fact that sooner or later he brings up the Templars.
    -Umberto Eco

That particular West Coast Avengers story was a sequel to Doctor Strange #53, where the good doctor time travels from 1982 to ancient Egypt and the events of Fantastic Four #19.

Cei-U!
    I summon the re-recycling!
    It's hardly a secret that something is badly wrong with me. - Dan B. in the Underworld
    I am ... a condescending prick sometimes. But I usually mean to be. - Paradox
    I'm not infallible. I just act like it. - Me

FF purist-snob

This had a Back to the Future pt2 feel to it.

Last edited by CaptCleghorn; 11-17-2012 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Arrgghhhhhh, lost out by a minute. Anyway, here are the covers.
    "Cant say it better than CaptCleghorn." - RolandJP

I never read the book myself, so I can't vouch for it, but my understanding is that the pre-Flashpoint Booster Gold series did this quite a bit, where they were travelling to different bits of DC continuity and key scenes.

Name:	39487-6000-44426-1-deadpool_super.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	77.5 KB 
ID:	104415

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Checking out the GCBD, the issue I was thinking of was West Coast Avengers #22 and it was part of a storyline called Lost in Space-Time that started in WCA #17.

http://www.comics.org/issue/43118/ for synopsis

Name:	61GNcDwADnL._SL500_AA300_.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	31.4 KB 
ID:	104397

-M

Yeah, Lost in Space Time was a very ambitious epic where every issue there was another new time period as part of the storyline. So part two had the team in two time period, part three had the team in three time periods, up to like part six or seven where there were plot threads going on in six or seven different time periods, all of which eventually came together again at the end. Englehart revisited a couple different Dr. Strange stories if I am remembering right, both #53 -- which itself revisits FF #19 as previously mentioned -- and an earlier Dr. Strange story where he visits Ben Franklin in the 18th century. There are all sorts of weird continuity bits in this story, like Hawkeye being the person who created Moon Knight's weapons for Khonshu in ancient Egypt. it's a weird story.
    At last, Boy Comics finally gets its own website!

There was a Deadman mini series in which Deadman is seen during DC events like Death of Superman and Death in the Family, an issue of Flash in which Wally revisits the final battle with the Anti-Monitor, an issue of Adventures of Superman during Kessels run that literally takes place between panels of a decades old Challengers of the Unknown issue...
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

There was a Green Lantern story (by Englehart again, I think) that had flashbacks to earlier stories where Joe Staton redrew panels in the style of the original artists.
    "It's just lines on paper, folks!"

Jessica Jones went to Midtown High School at the same time Peter Parker did, so her origin story in Alias recounts a couple of Amazing Fantasy 15 sequences from her perspective. Pretty neat.

She also just misses getting hit by the truck that dropped the chemicals on Matt Murdock.
    Last edited by Shawn Hopkins; 11-20-2012 at 08:44 AM.

Nice stuff so far, you guys! Keep them coming!

I found a link to a blog that's taken a look at the comics involved in the Fantastic Four/Rama-Tut story (FF #19, Doc Strange #53, WCA #22).

http://www.againwiththecomics.com/se...+at+the+sphinx

^Shawn, cool to see those Silver-Age-style flashbacks from Alias. Just figures that they let the moment where Jessica has the stomach to reach out to him, be the moment when Peter gets bitten by the fateful spider. That's some retroactive cruelty right there. :D

Quote Originally Posted by MDG View Post
    There was a Green Lantern story (by Englehart again, I think) that had flashbacks to earlier stories where Joe Staton redrew panels in the style of the original artists.
    There's also the Green Lantern Year 1 annual in which Kyle experiences Hall early career while Hal experiences Kyles. Also, the Infinite Crisis cross over issue in which Superman and Earth 2 Superman do the same thing. Then there was the JL Quarterly in which Mitch Whacky leads every one on a chase through time in which we see the post Crisis JL in their early days, though o specific panels were referenced. Also, the Crisis at Hand story in the 90s Superman books and Morisons Action run both revisit the wife beater bit from Action #1.
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...