Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by carabas View Post
    The main problem with the book for me is that there is no character in it that is in any way at all recognisable a Barbara Gordon.
    True. Even if you set the way-back machine to before The Killing Joke, it's hard to reconcile New 52 Babs with pre-CoIE Babs. And New 52 Babs seems to come out on the short end of the stick when you compare the two.
    Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Optic Blast, Optic Blast B. Kuwanger's Avatar

Be cool, you guys. I started the new 52 with 15 titles, and fell off. "lol getem all" to me is pretty weak advice. Even for one or two titles, getting back issues or plunging into a trade isn't always necessary.

I am biased towards Supergirl and against Batgirl as characters and titles. The Oracle thing sounds sour as Hell, while Supergirl is a consistently fun action book with pretty wonderful art. People complain about how slow it is, but there are too many books that will dish out and burn up a nifty status quo..see the complaints for Action Comics.

I would say you can get Supergirl #0 and continue from #13. Get the back issues if you like what you've read and want more. You'll be up to speed on everything that matters, and it's not exactly a dense read.

I think the issue coming out this week is a good place to start if you're not wanting to backtrack. Even going from last month's issue you're still starting at the end of a 3 part story that was a continuation of a story from 8 or so issues ago.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    True. Even if you set the way-back machine to before The Killing Joke, it's hard to reconcile New 52 Babs with pre-CoIE Babs. And New 52 Babs seems to come out on the short end of the stick when you compare the two.
    Apart from that niggling detail, I think it's a good book, and I heartily recommend it to all people who aren't really interested in reading about Babs Gordon. For them there's Birds Of Prey.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

Quote Originally Posted by ticklefist View Post
    I think the issue coming out this week is a good place to start if you're not wanting to backtrack. Even going from last month's issue you're still starting at the end of a 3 part story that was a continuation of a story from 8 or so issues ago.
    This month's Supergirl may not be a good starting point because it ties in with Superman and Superboy for several months for the H'el on Earth arc (or whatever it's called) . . . too soon to say how much Supergirl may get dominated by events that aren't really moving her own story forward.

And Batgirl is involved with the Batman-related arc Death of the Family (starting last month), but that may not be so bad for her because this may explain more about Babs after being shot and crippled by the Joker.
    Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Every single issue is a 'jumping on point'. Of any book.

You just pick it up, start reading, and piece together the charactes and their motivations as you go along. If there's something you wish to understand better, you're in the perfect place to ask.

There's not a book out there that you can't just hit the ground running with. It's going to take some adjustment, of course....but you can just learn as you go along.

If yu find you really dig a character, then worry about going back. Even then, this is entirely optional.
    Freedom is merely the ability to live without fear of persecution.

Quote Originally Posted by klinton View Post
    Every single issue is a 'jumping on point'. Of any book.

You just pick it up, start reading, and piece together the charactes and their motivations as you go along. If there's something you wish to understand better, you're in the perfect place to ask.

There's not a book out there that you can't just hit the ground running with. It's going to take some adjustment, of course....but you can just learn as you go along.

If yu find you really dig a character, then worry about going back. Even then, this is entirely optional.
    But, as I pointed out, in the case of Supergirl, being part of a crossover for the next several issues may not be presenting the character in the best possible light . . . it depends on if TPTB are dictating Supergirl's use / involvement in Lobdell's efforts or if the actual writing of Supergirl is being controlled more by the normal writer(s) of that title with minimum mandate / interference.

The Older Waiter Brave Sir Robbin's Avatar

I read both and recommend both. Batgirl is my favorite DC book and Supergirl does a great job with the character and her situation. She is a really engaging character and I am not even normally into the Kryptonians. But fair warning on Supergirl, the book tends to really drag at points in the first year so getting the trade and reading it like that is probably a good move.
    Current Favorites: The Goon, Batgirl, Chew, Alex + Ada,The Sixth Gun, Saga, Diskordia, Think Tank, Archie, Rachel Rising, Red Sonja, X, Wonder Woman, Powerpuff Girls

Wow, thanks for all the advice! I guess what I was really trying to ask was, which character seems more interesting to you and shows promise for great stories? I asked my younger brother which character he thought was better today, and it pretty much turned into the same "Who is better, Batman or Superman?" argument; Batgirl won that one given that she's vulnerable but intelligent. Not to say that Kara isn't smart. I like the idea that even though she's got all this power, she's still sensitive.
    I completely agree with the idea of starting a collection from #1 at this point, but monies...money is tight so I was hoping to go with one or the other all the way through.
    So generally WW is doing better than both these titles?...

Also:
    Anyone gonna pick up the alternate covers for the Death in The Family comics? I got #13 for Batgirl today; I missed the Joker face cover, but I really like this second cover more!
    Original:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2645820-CoverBG_super.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	8.5 KB 
ID:	104435
    Second:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MAUG120190.JPG 
Views:	5 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	104434
    Last edited by dfpunch; 11-17-2012 at 10:05 PM.
    DC: Batman, Earth-2
    Marvel: Daredevil

If you want a comic featuring an intelligent Batgirl, the current volume won't be for you.

Don't do the Limbo sunofdarkchild's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ves View Post
    If you want a comic featuring an intelligent Batgirl, the current volume won't be for you.
    She's lost 99.9% of her brains as Oracle and is at best as competent a crimefighter as Stephanie Brown was in the 90s.

Although after the last issue I think she's on the path to becoming a female version of Batman, temperment-wise, anyway. She'll never begin to approach his level of intellect or skill.

Quote Originally Posted by dfpunch View Post
    So generally WW is doing better than both these titles?
    Define "doing better".

If you look at Diamond Distributors' Top 100 sales of comic books for October (http://www.diamondcomics.com/Home/1/...ticleID=127858), here are some numbers:
    #36 = Batgirl
    #44 = Wonder Woman
    # 52 = Catwoman
    # 54 = Batgirl Annual
    # 60 = Batwoman
    # 66 = Worlds' Finest
    # 86 = Supergirl
    #102 = Birds of Prey

September 2012 was:
    # 29 = Batgirl
    # 30 = Wonder Woman
    # 35 = Worlds' Finest
    # 37 = Batwoman
    # 44 = Catwoman
    # 55 = Supergirl
    # 70 = Birds of Prey

One thing about October . . . both the Batgirl and Catwoman issues were cover-billed as prelude chapters to the big Batman cross-over event "Death of the Family".

And again, those numbers represent what comic book shops ordered, not necessarily popular / critical acclaim.

Many people here would recommend Wonder Woman highly. But if you visit the Wonder Woman board (a scary thing to do if you've never been there before), not all long-time fans are pleased with the radical changes made to how that character is handled in her own book as part of the New 52. (But I recommend it highly, and I was a late convert to that book.)

BANNED

Yeah if that's what this is all about, go with Supergirl.

The Older Waiter Brave Sir Robbin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    She's lost 99.9% of her brains as Oracle and is at best as competent a crimefighter as Stephanie Brown was in the 90s.

Although after the last issue I think she's on the path to becoming a female version of Batman, temperment-wise, anyway. She'll never begin to approach his level of intellect or skill.
    She lost 99% of her brains as Oracle? Is she brain dead, hooked up to machines keeping her heart and lungs going, with the Commissioner about to pool the plug? No, I know what you mean, and it is a poorly founded, angry opinion. Barbara Gordon's fault is being young and recovering from a horrific attack. How that makes her stupid is beyond me. The build up of her character is deliberate, intelligent and made for the long term view. Simone has step by step built up Babs to be rebuilding her self confidence and physical skills. She is already extremely intelligent, as made clear by the books and also stated in the OP's and his brother's discussion.

She is also not a female version of Batman. Batwoman is much more similar that way. Babs is sympathetic, caring and struggles with the violence in her job of helping others. She struggles with having to beat down the broken people who commit the crimes she fights. In this issue, she gets to attack evil for a change. That doesn't make her Bruce Wayne.

Some day, as we look back, others will admit Gail did a masterful job of systematically creating the Barbara that will be born out of this reboot. I think that Supergirl and Batgirl are both representative female characters of what a writer can do with a female Superhero. Both are strong and deal with the violent side of criminals and the dark side, but both are wonderful characters and complex and sympathetic, not grunting idiots.
    Current Favorites: The Goon, Batgirl, Chew, Alex + Ada,The Sixth Gun, Saga, Diskordia, Think Tank, Archie, Rachel Rising, Red Sonja, X, Wonder Woman, Powerpuff Girls

There was a local con today, and I went in thinking about what everyone wrote here. Supergirl seems really interesting, but a dealer sold me the Batgirl run up to #8 for cheap (maybe they didn't like it?). The rest of the day turned into a reading marathon, and I have to say that it's good, but I've really enjoyed the latest issues from #0 onward the most. I hope it gets better.
    Also, Alisa Kiss is the best Supergirl cosplayer.
    Thanks for the advices!
    DC: Batman, Earth-2
    Marvel: Daredevil