Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

IssunBoshi, you just need to practice saying "Get off my lawn!" in an irritable old man voice. Eventually work your way up to some feeble fist-shaking or furious pointing while you are at it.

Mormel, as an American, I will watch your swearing video link during my lunch break. While clutching my pearls or something.
    "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
    Martin Luther King Jr., Letter from Birmingham Jail, April 16, 1963

That video is all that really needs to be said.

Guys I sincerely apologize if I sounded like I was overreacting a bit in my last posts. I've been busy with work and studying and it's been stressful with my last year of college already (and feeling sad about leaving it, though from the beginning I expected it).

I try my best to be an optimistic, hopeful, and open-minded guy as possible (which is what I loved most about early 2012), but I just can't help ponder on certain things as to why certain things are getting worse as time goes on lately and I try to mentally and psychologically dissect it to see what the problems were...

It's just been inescapably hitting my mind A LOT lately in this part of the year and other than the obvious worry of how my transition from 2012-2013 will be like... I was only trying to let out as much steam as possible so that in the future I can always remember this thread whenever I'm stressed about whatever might happen to me or the world that i just described right now.

And another reason I made this thread is because I wanted to see how you guys dealt with what I was describing while you guys (aka the seniors) are still around and I just wanted to prepare myself for any possible massive transitions. And even though there are few things I hate more than when people say that "all change is good" or "the only constant in life is change", since it is my basic belief and maxim that there are certain things that cannot change or have no need for change (hence why I love the phrase "If it ain't broken, don't fix it" and it infuriates me when people force change on others when they themselves know that these are things people are capable of keeping the same and when they don't want change), I will agree that pop culture will always change and there's no denying that, but rather it's more about how I will get used to the change and what kind or type and degree of change it will be.

I'm always welcome for new stuff, but on principle, I'm kind of the guy who always hold, preserve, and treasure the old stuff (as numerous as they may be) above all, in the past, present, and future. And I'm hardpressed to think up of anything sadder than the greatest of classics and traditions not getting any respect, recognition, and remembrance.

As for the younger people and stuff, it's just that lately i've been seeing a crapton of people who are either born in 1993 and 1994 (i'm born in 1991 btw) and I go to myself "why is there so many underaged people younger than me and why are they so annoying?". The one thing i'm currently pessimistic about is how I'm going to permanently re-adjust to a possibly grim and bleak future where there are few or no people of the World War II generation, the Baby Boomers, or even Generation X left around anymore.

also for one of my other points about official published works vs. a user's unpublished original story/fan-fiction, I remember last year he said this:
    Marvel is widely considered the most powerful verse to date. Until MY fictional verse comes out. :D
    and that is what made me shudder sometimes and hope it doesn't come out.

Happy Thanksgiving btw!
    Current Mood: Still Bored/Awkward
    Currently Playing: None (except for maybe my NES/SNES emulator occasionally)
    Madworld Respect Thread

And concerning the old vs. new thing, I remember my internet friend named Pikmin Guru from another forum (OBD) who said these memorable quotes and I liked them:

Modern stuff is garbage, accept it and move on. You have to look back, wayyyy back to find anything good
    Modern art, stories, tv, cartoons, anime, manga, etc etc etc... take your pick, its going downhil fast.
    Well what you have to understand is that most people don't HAVE childhoods these days. They grow up with with this "hardcore" garbage and think that's ok.

I mean, my childhood had stuff in it like a child watching a T Rex tear his mother apart, a village dying to diptheria being saved by a wolf/dog that was horribly ostracized by everyone, a satanic childhood detonating toys for no reason, and other such nonsense. And ya know what? I'm told that isn't hard core. Why? I don't know.
    Have you seen the 1980s GI Joe and/or Transformers movies? They were SO much better than the modern crap, but people put them down because they're animated. They don't seem to realize that CGI is ALSO a form of animation.
    And...

Frankly, because no one tells good stories anymore. Video games were part of the “etc”. They’re too young to be included with the older pillars of media. And that’s the saddest part. Video Games are quite possibly the most amazing form of media. You can incorporate ALL other forms of media, and make it accessible to ALL people. But it’s dying too. Because no one tells good stories anymore. We take the old stories, the “retro” stories and we rehash them with more violence, gore, and sex, and say “lolz we are teh orignalz” and everyone falls for it. It’s crap. I’m tired of it. I’ve played around 10 xbox games lately and they were ALL the same, with different weapons. That’s why Ninty is my favorite. They always have something new.
    Madworld Respect Thread

I'm a little concerned about home ownership becoming less common, I'm a little concerned about the number of people who actually have a 401k that can support them in retirement compared to those who do not, I'm a little concerned about the middle east at the moment. I'm not very concerned about what the younger generation liked, or what the older generation liked, or what my generation likes so much. At least not as far as video games, cartoons, and manga are concerned.
    The Copper Age is my Golden Age
    My 2014 1000 comic progress

Quote Originally Posted by IssunBoshi View Post
    And concerning the old vs. new thing, I remember my internet friend named Pikmin Guru from another forum (OBD) who said these memorable quotes and I liked them:

And...
    Those quotes have it all wrong. Seriously watch the video posted above and call it quits with your worries.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Those quotes have it all wrong. Seriously watch the video posted above and call it quits with your worries.
    a vid that says "90's Cartoons Suck"? Granted the 90's may not have been the best decades for cartoons (despite it being my childhood decade), but the title doesn't entice me one bit. I'll watch the vid next time.

And the last quote was true.

Also, with those two out of the way, there's just ONE more issue that I have to get off my chest and I fear it's probably going to open up a big big big can of worms and I'll give you a hint, it's about a certain decline in the US that bothers me and not for petty and ignorant reasons. I think I'll do that tomorrow.

Anyways, happy thanksgiving everyone! Just hope my thread didn't ruin the mood.

I remember 3 years ago from this week, I was watching "Turtles Forever" special (where the 1987 turtles and the 2003 turtles meet each other in a crossover) on TV and been watching a ton of vids while making my other previous thread.
    Madworld Respect Thread

I remember 3 years ago from this week, I was watching "Turtles Forever" special (where the 1987 turtles and the 2003 turtles meet each other in a crossover) on TV and been watching a ton of vids while making my other previous thread.
    You are way too sentimental. Try to live for today without constantly thinking about the past. You enjoyed what you enjoyed, isn't that enough? If something is really as great as you think it is it will stand the test of time on it's own merits.

Since it's Thanksgiving today, give thanks for love, family, and health. Worry about TMNT and video games another day.

Issunboshi, my reply in your other, older thread where you posted this follow-up by mistake at first, started out a lot more elaborate than how it ended up.

That day, I had just watched a show by a Dutch comedian, about his great uncle who lived in the East Indies (now Indonesia) in the Dutch colonial times. That great uncle lived through the Japanese invasion and occupation, which led to the internment of all Caucasians, and many Eurasians. Living conditions were harsh, torture, abuse, and starvation were common. After the Japanese capitulation, chaos erupted in the Indies, as the Indonesians rightfully declared independence, while the Dutch government wanted to hold onto their profitable colony at all costs. So a revolutionary war was waged, in which yet more innocent civilians were murdered.

This is a history that is shared by many families in the Netherlands who have their roots in Indonesia. My great grandfather worked on the Burma/Siam railroad, my great aunt saw the horrors of a Japanese prison camp.

Delving into this history makes me realise 1) how fortunate I was that, at the age of 7 I could sit on the couch with a bowl of porridge watching Optimus Prime beat on Megatron, while my grandfather at that age saw foreign troops enter his native soil and had his freedom of movement and access to facilities limited (though he didn't face imprisonment, because the Japanese allowed a number of Eurasians outside of the camps), and 2) if I worry about the future now, and things like global warming, the possible powder keg that is the Middle East, the disappearance of tigers and rhinos, overpopulation, how much bleaker was it for my grandparents' generation, coming out of a devastating World War that was the second in only 30 years, soon followed up by a Cold War between two nuclear-weapon states, with the world lying in tatters?

But they did it, didn't they?

I'm sure there were many among them who ended up killing themselves out of sheer desperation, pessimism, or succumbing to psychological trauma, but collectively, they soldiered on and built something for their children and grandchildren to enjoy. If they could do it, with fewer technological means, then why not me?

And also, '90s cartoons suck' is hyperbole.

Turtles Forever was a pretty cool nostalgia trip, especially because it was partly a piss-take on the 80s show; and I say this as someone who grew up with and enjoyed the 80s show: it was one campy adaptation of its source material.

I don't think you're being unreasonable for throwing all of this out in this thread. I can even relate to some things. But you're only 21, you're right in the middle of the generation that is currently making and breaking all the new rules. It's cool you worry about quality, but I look around and think "Is it that bad?"

a vid that says "90's Cartoons Suck"? Granted the 90's may not have been the best decades for cartoons (despite it being my childhood decade), but the title doesn't entice me one bit. I'll watch the vid next time.

And the last quote was true.

Also, with those two out of the way, there's just ONE more issue that I have to get off my chest and I fear it's probably going to open up a big big big can of worms and I'll give you a hint, it's about a certain decline in the US that bothers me and not for petty and ignorant reasons. I think I'll do that tomorrow.

Anyways, happy thanksgiving everyone! Just hope my thread didn't ruin the mood.

No, all those quotes were absolutely wrong. It's something you'd think was really profound in say middle school but then realize is absolutely rubbish when you grow up little. Seriously just watch the video, it's not about how terrible the 90's were it's about how stupid the notion of every thing was better back when really is, and unlike your quotes the point made in the video is the absolute truth.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    No, all those quotes were absolutely wrong. It's something you'd think was really profound in say middle school but then realize is absolutely rubbish when you grow up little. Seriously just watch the video, it's not about how terrible the 90's were it's about how stupid the notion of every thing was better back when really is, and unlike your quotes the point made in the video is the absolute truth.
    Well, I happen to think that no truth is absolute, but I also thought the video was tongue-in-cheek enough to be appropriate for a topic like Sat-Morn toons and related entertainment.

Well I just came back from my friend's house in Long Island for thanksgiving dinner and boy my childhood friend's younger brothers have become like 17 this year (years back, guys born in 1995 were just little elementary or middle-schoolers at most). And just like last year, I saw an episode of Jeff Dunham/Achmed the Dead Terrorist on Comedy Central and after a new/different episode (Minded Monsters or something), i saw the same one from last year which was Controlled Chaos.

And I saw Regular Show, King of the Hill, and American Dad on Cartoon Network/Adult Swim. :D

Too bad, i didn't see Teen Titans like last time. :(

Don't know what Thanksgiving 2013's going to be like... I know it's going to come sooner than we all think. And by that time, it's 99% chance it won't be my friend's house in Long Island again for the third time.

I remember last year from this day, me and my old mum and pop went Black Friday Shopping but only to get gifts for their trip to Taiwan and Hong Kong from this past January of this year.

Also i've been thinking... is anyone a regular Wikipedia (and perhaps TvTropes) surfer like I am? And always looks up info on their favorite actors or celebrities everytime? My current biggest crush is on Charlize Theron (god she's awesome and hot). But the thing is... you always check their age and stuff and feel that one of the reasons the you may fear or worry about the future is because with every year passing, your favorite celebrities just keep getting older and older and possibly well elderly and you can't help but feel helpless and sucked dry by the time you seen your glory days not only pass but seeing how your awesome favorite celebrities well... age a bit too fast?

I know this is natural and we can't do anything to stop it, but I feel like we should find ways to cope with it and still live in happiness, joy, and even anticipation for the future, though it's going to be a long hard and cumbersome process to do so. Not to mention other stuff as well.

And I also remember making this thread and feeling the worry I feel right now the day after I voted for the first time in the 2012 presidential election and when I was thinking about that show "Three's Company" (and the actors/actresses: John Ritter, Joyce DeWitt, and Suzanne Somers/Priscilla Barnes) and its theme song when i've been watching it several times on Antenna TV. And I still haven't gotten to the third issue yet in this thread and I fear when I tell it, I can sorta practically feel the apocalypse coming. So brace yourself folks...

Good night mates.
    Madworld Respect Thread

Well, it took forever for Mary Tyler Moore to stop looking hot. I'll probably still be into Jessica Beil well into our 50's.
    The Copper Age is my Golden Age
    My 2014 1000 comic progress

Quote Originally Posted by Mormel View Post
    Well, I happen to think that no truth is absolute, but I also thought the video was tongue-in-cheek enough to be appropriate for a topic like Sat-Morn toons and related entertainment.
    In this case it really is, the concept that "things were so much better when I was a kid and future generations will never get that" is a fallacy. It's easily demonstrated by looking at what the generation above you thinks of the properties that you love and feel are so superior to what is loved now. A hint? Their reflections of your shows is probably remarkably similar to you feel about the shows loved by the current generation.

If you have time to post this twaddle, you really have far too much time on your hands.

Try doing something productive like volunteering for charity and you will have less time to hyperventilate over nonsense concerns.
    The two most powerful warriors are patience and time - Leo Tolstoy