Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default What exactly do they mean when they say, "We want our America back"?

I've heard many Republicans say that they want their America back. Did they lose America somewhere? Isn't this still the land of the free and home of the Capitalists? Is pro football still played on Sundays? What America are they missing?
    We Want You! Join Us At CBR:Age of Marvels!

CBB. We March Thru Your Thread With A Million MoFos.

They don't mind black or hispanic pople voting per se, provided it's for a white heterosexual male.
    Visit the Ace Comics & Games Digital shopfront:
    http://www.acecomics.comicretailer.com

They want to go back to the good old days of Eisenhower, 90% tax rates, and massive expansion of federal progra-wait, that doesn't make any sense.
    Last edited by Wjowski; 11-17-2012 at 05:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wjowski View Post
    They want to go back to the good old days of Eisenhower, 90% ta rates, and massive expansion of federal progra-wait, that doesn't make any sense.
    I was just going to say the same thing. The only other thing I can think about back then was segregation, but I'm sure they don't mean that!
    The Copper Age is my Golden Age
    My 2014 1000 comic progress

Most of them mean they want the myth of the 50s back. Economic prosperity. Stay at home moms. Leave it to Beaver.

Of course they don't want 90% tax rate. A lot of them are probably OK with the segregation. McCarthyism is fine. Polio is negotiable.

Of course then there are the ones who want America back to the 1870s. Unfettered Capitalism, child labor, union-busters. The good stuff.

White;s only.

usually thats what it means. Separate but equal
    My webcomic Updated weekly
    My BlogSTORM/Black Panther Sabotage
    BEBOP--"Roland = pinnacle of objectivity"

So we're talking talking about America somewhere between 1870 and 1950? Some of these people were teenagers in 1870.

Quote Originally Posted by RolandJP View Post
    White;s only.

usually thats what it means. Separate but equal
    I'm sure the Native Americans want their country back too but you don't see them at Mitt Romney rallies.

The Central Sca-rutinizer Pól Rua's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Slam_Bradley View Post
    Most of them mean they want the myth of the 50s back. Economic prosperity. Stay at home moms. Leave it to Beaver.

Of course they don't want 90% tax rate. A lot of them are probably OK with the segregation. McCarthyism is fine. Polio is negotiable.

Of course then there are the ones who want America back to the 1870s. Unfettered Capitalism, child labor, union-busters. The good stuff.
    And of course, it's important for the women, blacks, queers and Mexicans to 'know their place'.
    Plus, of course, transforming the country into a nominally Christian Theocracy*.

__________________________________________________ _________________________
    * - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominionism
    Last edited by Pól Rua; 11-16-2012 at 06:10 PM.
    "Loudly proclaiming that you are above childish things isn't a sign of maturity - it's proof of adolescence." - Schnitzy Pretzelpants

Co-host of The 'Mike & Pól Save The Universe' Comics podcast - check it out on www.mikeandpol.com

Quote Originally Posted by Pól Rua View Post
    Plus, of course, transforming the country into a nominally Christian Theocracy.
    Just like it used to be in the golden age of.... er... hmmm.
    "We must fight on!"
    "We'll die. We fight and we die, that's how it goes."
    "Then we die gloriously!"
    "There's an important word there, and it's not gloriously."
    - Only You Can Save Mankind

Quote Originally Posted by Charles RB View Post
    Just like it used to be in the golden age of.... er... hmmm.
    ...a world that has only existed in Jack Chick tracts, the Left Behind series and Bibleman?
    "Loudly proclaiming that you are above childish things isn't a sign of maturity - it's proof of adolescence." - Schnitzy Pretzelpants

Co-host of The 'Mike & Pól Save The Universe' Comics podcast - check it out on www.mikeandpol.com

They want gays back in the closet, women staying pure until they are married and stay-at-home moms. The only women in the workplace are secretaries and single.

People going to church every Sunday.

Basically they want the fictionalize reality of Leave It To Beaver, The Andy Griffith Show and Pleasantville all rolled into one.
    In search of Claire...or Libby Hoeler :D

"What is illness to the body of a knight-errant? What matter wounds? For each time he falls, he shall rise again, and woe to the wicked.
    "

Either that, of course, or the Libertarian Fantasy of everything being like 'Little House on the Prairie' where good, clean-living white folks live off the land and help each other without big government interfering with their lives as they go on killin' bears, farmin' corn and dyin' in childbirth.

marvell2100 gets a standard:

I've heard many Republicans say that they want their America back. Did they lose America somewhere? Isn't this still the land of the free and home of the Capitalists? Is pro football still played on Sundays? What America are they missing?

They pine for a '50s that never really existed, where the women knew their place and that was having dinner on the table for her husband. And all those darkies and spics didn't go on and on about how oppressed they were. And everyone was a white, God fearing suburbanite...well, anyone that MATTERED anyway.

To be fair, that's actually been the Republican Dream since Reagan. Many of these neo-cons are actually pining further back, wanting to recreate the 19th Century.

EDIT: Expected Coke to most of the thread.
    Last edited by Paradox; 11-16-2012 at 10:20 PM.
    'Dox out.

"But I think the difference is, when Democrats go crazy, they get shown the door. When Republicans go crazy they get appointed to the Science committee. " - Shawn Hopkins

"Can it, you nit!" - Violet Beauregard

"And Paradox is never correct. About anything."- Kid Omega

Champions: The Conclave
    Decorum & Friends (A City of Heroes archive)

Pól Rua reminds me of another classic:

Either that, of course, or the Libertarian Fantasy of everything being like 'Little House on the Prairie' where good, clean-living white folks live off the land and help each other without big government interfering with their lives as they go on killin' bears, farmin' corn and dyin' in childbirth.
    "Little House on the Prairie, oh, that's a fine, wholesome show. It's about blind children out West, and every week there's a fire or someone gets an incurable disease." - Lucille Tarlek, WKRP in Cincinnati
    'Dox out.

"But I think the difference is, when Democrats go crazy, they get shown the door. When Republicans go crazy they get appointed to the Science committee. " - Shawn Hopkins

"Can it, you nit!" - Violet Beauregard

"And Paradox is never correct. About anything."- Kid Omega

Champions: The Conclave
    Decorum & Friends (A City of Heroes archive)