Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Judge Dredd, #1

Quote Originally Posted by The Adventurer View Post
    What's 'off' is that it doesn't feel as dense as a typical 2000 AD Dredd strip. John Wagner and the gang are really really REALLY good at page economy due to necessity. This book, being 20 pages in story length, takes like 6 pages to do what John Wager would do in about... 1 and a half.
    Yeah, I think I agree. Plus I think the tone of the narrator is off, a bit. I keep hearing it in the voice of Ted Knight (when he did Superfriends).
    Mario Di Giacomo

What's 'off' is that it doesn't feel as dense as a typical 2000 AD Dredd strip. John Wagner and the gang are really really REALLY good at page economy due to necessity. This book, being 20 pages in story length, takes like 6 pages to do what John Wager would do in about... 1 and a half.

That being said, it definitely seems to be TRYING to capture some of the more absurd and dark humor that makes Judge Dredd a classic. Which is good. So we'll see.
    Very sage comment and upon reflection, t hat's definitely a big part of it. It just feels....weird.

But yeah, as far as the humor goes, I think it's more "trying" than "succeeding." Something about the goofy tone just isn't sitting well with me. Dark humor is a staple of dread, but this just doesn't feel right.
    For the best in comic reviews visit:

WEEKLY COMIC BOOK REVIEW

As for digital to get 2000AD, when I finally get the cash together that I feel I can spare for an IPad, maybe. Until then, print only for me.
    Try my Blog!

And visit me on Facebook here!

I don't know what Judge Dredd you've been reading, but holographic displays are pretty common fixture in Mega City One. At least in the higher class areas, where this story is clearly taking place.
    OK, then quote me a Dredd story in any Prog with that. Holos are used as TV displays or ads displays into the street or Malls. Not as a gadget that high-end class citizens are wearing.

And yes, Joe Dredd's first name is actually Joseph. You should know that, if you actually read Judge Dredd.
    Yup, his name, May Be Blessed By The Holly Grace Of The Mighty Tharg, is Joseph, but he is almost referred as "Joe". Joseph is used by his most intimate relations, generally Senior Judges or by his worst enemies.

And yup again, I am reading 2000 AD from the Prog 1500 (we are now at the Prog 1810) and the famous Judge Dredd Megazine since the 275 with Tank Girl abroad. Hi Rufus!!! How do you do guy??? Thanks a lot for your Judge Dredd exclusive drawing!!!!! Drokk!!
    2000 AD of course!!!
    All Hail The Mighty Tharg

Im busy getting 2000AD Judge Dredd trades with John Wagner, Esquerra and co to spend money on this.

No interest in this for me i want to read the original Brit comics and not american version.
    Pull List:
    The Walking Dead,Fatale,Near Death,Storm Dogs,Happy,BPRD,XO-Manowar
    American Vampire,Animal Man,Swamp Thing
    Daredevil, Winter Soldier,Indestructible Hulk

What a pitiful art ! It's ugly and goofy ! I am very very very disappointed ! And I have prepaid such a thing !

Snarky Infested Anthony Devianza's Avatar

The preview isn't horrible but judging by the preview alone, it is missing some of the charm that the 2000AD version has.

The CS's used to stock up on 2000ad titles back in the 90's, not sure why I never see them anymore. I guess its due to less interest in comics these days, or maybe it costs a lot more to get them over here. All I know is I'd rather pay more and get something of quality, then pay 3.99 for something that isn't remotely as good.

As a first time Dredd reader (didn't see the movies either), I was impressed. I know there are scores of other material out there, but I thought this issue was a nice start and actually makes me interested in the other Dredd books.
    http://blogojett.blogspot.com/

www.capelesscrusader.org

Reads: Batman & Robin, Batman, Walking Dead, Chew, Saga, Prophet, TMNT, Planetoid, Punk Rock Jesus, Revival, Judge Dredd, Bedlam

That being said, it definitely seems to be TRYING to capture some of the more absurd and dark humor that makes Judge Dredd a classic. Which is good. So we'll see.
    Agree with this. Nothing wrong with it, but could have easily been fit into a single issue of 2000AD. I'll be picking up issue #2.
    Meh!

Never read Judge Dredd before. Picked this up because my LCS had their comics delivery sent somewhere else, so I couldn't get my regular comics, and I really wanted something to read.

Enjoyed it. Will definitely pick up issue 2. May delve into the past Judge Dredd issues.
    'Before all hell breaks loose. Before the Hangman's noose. As the sun goes down, I'll say it's a good day to die'.

BANNED

I've been following Dredd in 2000AD since his first appearance way back in 1977, and for me, I'm afraid this version just isn't Judge Dredd. From the previews, it looks marginally better than DC's abortive take on the character, but not enough to make me want to pick it up.

average comic book fan... JonQCitizen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Danish View Post
    Well, color me impressed. This could be a worthy take on the original comic.
    Quote Originally Posted by jetter_cheeze View Post
    As a first time Dredd reader (didn't see the movies either), I was impressed. I know there are scores of other material out there, but I thought this issue was a nice start and actually makes me interested in the other Dredd books.
    Quote Originally Posted by tonythelion View Post
    Never read Judge Dredd before.....Enjoyed it. Will definitely pick up issue 2. May delve into the past Judge Dredd issues.
    Ditto all your comments....I enjoyed it as well. To all the "haters", consider that most readers aren't going to just go order some magazine from across the pond with 30+ years of back-story on a whim. A successful IDW series starring Judge Dredd will inevitably lead to increased sales for 2000AD. That said, please consider that most Americans are slow and less educated, so need 6 pages to explain what a Brit gets in 1.5
    Currently collecting: Aphrodite IX, Elephantmen, The Flash, Godzilla, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Guardians of the Galaxy, Saga, & Usagi Yojimbo.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JonQCitizen View Post
    Ditto all your comments....I enjoyed it as well. To all the "haters", consider that most readers aren't going to just go order some magazine from across the pond with 30+ years of back-story on a whim.
    Not really necessary. Most Dredd stories are easily accessible to new readers. John Wagner has been writing comics for about 40 years, he and his fellow Dredd scribes are well practised at ensuring that.
    A successful IDW series starring Judge Dredd will inevitably lead to increased sales for 2000AD.
    Not too sure about that. Anyway, 2000AD isn't exactly a poor seller, now.
    That said, please consider that most Americans are slow and less educated, so need 6 pages to explain what a Brit gets in 1.5
    Fair point. Still doesn't make me want to buy it, though.

My shop has a variant cover for this, so I got it. IT'S SO COLORFUL. Reminds me of Chew, in a good way. I'll check out #2 too.

So I just read it and my reaction is lukewarm. I really wanted to like it but I wasn't feeling it. Maybe it's because it's the first issue and it's supposed to be setting up the premise for readers but nothing really intrigued me or pulled me into the story. The back-up story left an even worse feeling in my mouth.
    I actually cringed when the staff was referred to as "droids" like in 2000AD. I get what they're going for, but it just felt wrong. I doubt I'll come back for #2.
    I think I'll just stick with the Complete Case Files.
    Reading:
    On Hold: