Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Judge Dredd, #1

Gosh! I thought that this one might be the worst one I've read this year. Horrible! I think they let that movie, which I didn't see influence them. They made about 10 variant covers of it which seems excessive. I was very underwhelmed by the story, and the art was very 1980's. All in all it sucked very bad!

Quote Originally Posted by mystmaven View Post
    Gosh! I thought that this one might be the worst one I've read this year. Horrible! I think they let that movie, which I didn't see influence them. They made about 10 variant covers of it which seems excessive. I was very underwhelmed by the story, and the art was very 1980's. All in all it sucked very bad!
    Dredd 3D was awesome. So I don't think the IDW comic was too influenced by it.

You didn't like it either then, Adventurer?

Quote Originally Posted by mystmaven View Post
    You didn't like it either then, Adventurer?
    IDW's Judge Dredd? Yeah, not so much. It's inferior as an action/sci-fi title, and as a Judge Dredd comic. So unless the quality of story telling really turns around in the next issue or two I probably won't stick around. IDW comics are just too expensive to stick around on, hoping it gets better.

Judge Dredd also has too much of a pedigree to come out the gate this weak. There were so many better ways IDW could have handled this whole project. Like get actual Judge Dredd writers and artists on board.
    Last edited by The Adventurer; 11-28-2012 at 02:09 PM.

I liked it fine.

The art was pretty nice imo, although that of the back-up wasnt really to my taste.
    Both stories were decent and i didnt have any problem with the tone.

My only real issue is not being able to shake that both stories could probably have been covered in one issue of 2000Ad. That and the pricetag.
    Ill probably finish the arc, then see how i feel.

I was right! This book rocked! Definitely my favorite book of the week.
    I write comic book reviews every Wednesday using pages from each book. Check it: Is It Good?: All the Best Books of the Day Reviewed!

Hmmm. I'm a Judge Dredd fan, and I was super excited about this book. I really really want to like this book, but I don't know as of yet. The Dredd universe is one of Hyper-culture; everything is done to the to the nth degree - so there is a society where hyper violent, fought by hyper vigilance. Everything in Meg 1's culture is supposed to be ultra magnified. This instead went for absurdity, almost to a tone whimsical. "Exploding fruit" and "Dredd" are word that should never be uttered in the same sentence, never-the-less a story. With that being said, I'll give it a couple more issues to cement itself, maybe this was the author's gittery nerves trying to hard to start on a bold note. I think the secondary story should be shortened, maybe to a one or two page crime profile short. That way we get more Dredd, and still have a bit of world building going on in each issue.
    "Ready When You Are" - Batman

As I said I'm committed to the first arc.
    Im a JD newbie so for me ignorance of his rich past can't influence me one way or the other. I'll just have to believe that for those in "the know" this doesn't match or hold a candle to the other 30yrs of stories.....which all were good, not a stinker in the bunch apparently.
    "Freedom is the Right of ALL Sentient Beings" - Optimus Prime
    Twitter:http://twitter.com/#!/CaptainCraig1

Quote Originally Posted by nsiops View Post
    Hmmm. I'm a Judge Dredd fan, and I was super excited about this book. I really really want to like this book, but I don't know as of yet. The Dredd universe is one of Hyper-culture; everything is done to the to the nth degree - so there is a society where hyper violent, fought by hyper vigilance. Everything in Meg 1's culture is supposed to be ultra magnified. This instead went for absurdity, almost to a tone whimsical. "Exploding fruit" and "Dredd" are word that should never be uttered in the same sentence, never-the-less a story. With that being said, I'll give it a couple more issues to cement itself, maybe this was the author's gittery nerves trying to hard to start on a bold note. I think the secondary story should be shortened, maybe to a one or two page crime profile short. That way we get more Dredd, and still have a bit of world building going on in each issue.
    I'd agree with this if Dredd was all about seriousness, but I don't think it is. Dredd has always had humor and irony. A lot of the times the story is serious but the Dredd comic is largely satire.

The comic Double Barrel recently had an essay on tips for telling a visual story(issue #6) and used this picture as an example of Dredd being satire.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dredd.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	84.8 KB 
ID:	105008

I will agree though, the first issue was a little bit much with the...zany and over the top humor.
    Last edited by nosocialize100; 11-29-2012 at 06:21 AM.
    I write comic book reviews every Wednesday using pages from each book. Check it: Is It Good?: All the Best Books of the Day Reviewed!

Quote Originally Posted by nosocialize100 View Post
    I'd agree with this if Dredd was all about seriousness, but I don't think it is. Dredd has always had humor and irony. A lot of the times the story is serious but the Dredd comic is largely satire.

The comic Double Barrel recently had an essay on tips for telling a visual story(issue #6) and used this picture as an example of Dredd being satire.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dredd.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	84.8 KB 
ID:	105008

I will agree though, the first issue was a little bit much with the...zany and over the top humor.
    Don't get my post wrong. Dredd isn't about seriousness. The magnification of our culture IS funny. I just used hyper-crime and hyper-vigilance as examples, but mega city one magnifies everything - consumerism, politics, religion, entertainment etc. Thats what makes the satire stick, it's what gives it a point of origin. When I read Dredd #1, I kinda didn't see what he was trying to make a play off of. It seemed to be zany for zany-sake. Like the author was trying to emulate a joke he didn't quite understand.
    "Ready When You Are" - Batman

"I kinda didn't see what he was trying to make a play off of. It seemed to be zany for zany-sake. Like the author was trying to emulate a joke he didn't quite understand."

I see the Quandry. In the writing of it there was a 'background' feel to it, doing the 'cutesy' thing is a very bad idea as we've seen with Batman, etc... not everyone is laughing.

Quote Originally Posted by nsiops View Post
    Don't get my post wrong. Dredd isn't about seriousness. The magnification of our culture IS funny. I just used hyper-crime and hyper-vigilance as examples, but mega city one magnifies everything - consumerism, politics, religion, entertainment etc. Thats what makes the satire stick, it's what gives it a point of origin. When I read Dredd #1, I kinda didn't see what he was trying to make a play off of. It seemed to be zany for zany-sake. Like the author was trying to emulate a joke he didn't quite understand.
    I agree it did read that way. I still liked it however, but I personally love science fiction in all ways it might come. I suppose it's at the expense of the character in this case though.

A Perp In Open Water riot_shark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jean-Michel View Post
    What a pitiful art! It's ugly and goofy!
    Seriously you think that's bad, try DC's run with Dredd in the 90's

A guy by Mike Avon Oeming drew it and good fucking god is it awful, like deviantart fanart grade awful

Quote Originally Posted by Addams View Post
    Which is completely silly cause there is only one issue so far. What is there to hate so much ?

People i swear....
    It's the first time Dredd's seen action outside of 2000 AD and The Megazine for a very long time, especially considering the fact that no one outside of Britain and greater Europe has taken up writing the character since the late 90's with the DC run, so of course there are going to be haters and detractors.

Personally, I didn't find much fault with it. It felt like a typical series of Dredd stories, filler ones at best
    Last edited by riot_shark; 11-29-2012 at 08:55 AM.

I bought the current version of dredd and a issue of a collection of his first story from way back in the day. The old one beat the new by a mile. Nice art thou.

average comic book fan... JonQCitizen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nosocialize100 View Post
    I was right! This book rocked! Definitely my favorite book of the week.
    I second your opinion! Thought the first issue was great, and am looking forward to #2!
    Currently collecting: Aphrodite IX, Elephantmen, The Flash, Godzilla, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Guardians of the Galaxy, Saga, & Usagi Yojimbo.