Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Judge Dredd, #1

Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Judge Dredd, #1

In the 22nd century, crime runs rampant in Mega-City One, home to over 400 million citizens, robots, criminals and lunatics. The only line of defense between anarchy and chaos are... the Judges. And Judge Dredd is the toughest of them all. In this, Judge Dredd's 35th anniversary year, IDW is proud to re-introduce Judge Dredd to America in this all-new ongoing series.

Full article here.

This could be great...I'm hoping it's amazing. Deep breaths.
    I write comic book reviews every Wednesday using pages from each book. Check it: Is It Good?: All the Best Books of the Day Reviewed!

Well, color me impressed. This could be a worthy take on the original comic.
    Reading:
    On Hold:

Preview looks awesome.

Hey, not bad at all! Feels suitably Dredd-like going by this preview. Very pleasantly surprised and impressed.

Have it pre-ordered. I like what I see from the previews. I've enjoyed just about everything, either in comic form or novel, that Duane Swierczynski has done, so I think this should be good.
    Today, I make no demands... no threats! But, one day, I shall voice demands -- and all shall obey them!

I don't know, I'm very worried after this preview.

It just felt too....goofy? And not the right sort of goofy either. Something about this just felt off, particularly compared to 2000AD.
    For the best in comic reviews visit:

WEEKLY COMIC BOOK REVIEW

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin King View Post
    I don't know, I'm very worried after this preview.

It just felt too....goofy? And not the right sort of goofy either. Something about this just felt off, particularly compared to 2000AD.
    Eh, Dredd can be all sorts of things. One of the reasons he's such a great character. And unfortunately 2000 AD isn't easy to get in some places in the US...
    Try my Blog!

And visit me on Facebook here!

Quote Originally Posted by gwydion View Post
    Eh, Dredd can be all sorts of things. One of the reasons he's such a great character. And unfortunately 2000 AD isn't easy to get in some places in the US...
    Well...it's pretty easy if you go digital....

And I do agree with that, but something about thsi comic feels off to me. It almost feels like a futuristic issue of Chew or something.
    For the best in comic reviews visit:

WEEKLY COMIC BOOK REVIEW

Elder Member

Nothing against Nelson Daniel, but would it have killed them to show us a couple of pages of Gulacy's work?

Napoleon of Crime Professor Moriarty's Avatar

is this the first american published Judge Dredd comic?

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Moriarty View Post
    is this the first american published Judge Dredd comic?
    No, DC had publishing rights in the mid-90s.
    EAT GLASS, LAWMAN!

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin King View Post
    Well...it's pretty easy if you go digital....

And I do agree with that, but something about thsi comic feels off to me. It almost feels like a futuristic issue of Chew or something.
    What's 'off' is that it doesn't feel as dense as a typical 2000 AD Dredd strip. John Wagner and the gang are really really REALLY good at page economy due to necessity. This book, being 20 pages in story length, takes like 6 pages to do what John Wager would do in about... 1 and a half.

That being said, it definitely seems to be TRYING to capture some of the more absurd and dark humor that makes Judge Dredd a classic. Which is good. So we'll see.

wow... how am I feeling after have read these preview pages... well... very bad...

It's Judge Joseph (shame on you!!!! His name is JOE!!! colonialists!!!) Dredd for kiddies and likes (a lot of American readers still in their super-panties and super-boobs [CENSORED] worlds).

I have never read a so looooooooooooooooong story introduction. It's a shame to know tht this 20+ pages story can easily be compressed into a 6 pages story. The art is bad, the colours are horrible, the dialogs - pity..., the "crowd" of Mega-City One is... diluted(???), the streets are cleaned, and WTF are these holographic displays??? IT DOES NOT EXIST IN THE TRUE JUDGE DREDD WORLD!!!!!!!!

I wanted to pre-order this issue, but my instinct told me to do not do that. Thanks for it. This comic book is clearly a joke, an expensive joke.

You can have the true Judge Dredd stories from the weekly 2000 AD comic magazine. I know that the USA are not well at all a good dispatch base for European comic magazines - it's your problem, not our. But you can pay lesser for the digital version of the weekly 2000 Prog and the subscription options are really at low prices.

So, please, spend your money on something more interesting than on this "US thing". Yurk!!!!
    2000 AD of course!!!
    All Hail The Mighty Tharg

Quote Originally Posted by fredmanson View Post
    I have never read a so looooooooooooooooong story introduction. It's a shame to know tht this 20+ pages story can easily be compressed into a 6 pages story. The art is bad, the colours are horrible, the dialogs - pity..., the "crowd" of Mega-City One is... diluted(???), the streets are cleaned, and WTF are these holographic displays??? IT DOES NOT EXIST IN THE TRUE JUDGE DREDD WORLD!!!!!!!!

I don't know what Judge Dredd you've been reading, but holographic displays are pretty common fixture in Mega City One. At least in the higher class areas, where this story is clearly taking place.

And yes, Joe Dredd's first name is actually Joseph. You should know that, if you actually read Judge Dredd.