View Poll Results: Rate "Danger Zone" (ASM #695-697)

Voters
68. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • A---Just about perfect!

12 17.65%
  • B---Very Good!

31 45.59%
  • C---Eh, just average

15 22.06%
  • D---Disappointing

4 5.88%
  • F---Worthless

4 5.88%
  • Did Not Read

2 2.94%
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    Spider-man/DCU Moderator ShaggyB's Avatar

How do you rate something when you dont read it? As Ive often said, You cant give anything more than an overview critique if you arent reading. You cant talk specifics if you dont know specifics. Also skimming the book nets you mistakes, as seen in many spoiler threads where major plot points are missed due to skimming.

Quote Originally Posted by E. Wilson View Post
    I just spent the last three months working a job in Green Bay. I'm going to go ahead and say that, no, that's pretty tame behavior compared to some of the stuff I saw. Packers fans is crazy.
    Accurate.

10 chars.
    "Women... they come and go, but the Jonah is eternal." - ViewtifulJC

forget to grade this arc...

A good ol' 'B' from me this time around! Some of the dialogue didn't sound quite so human, maybe a tad too expositional. But the return of Roderick and his new status quo, as well as Pete's prominence out of the suit were both quite enjoyable.

And art was superb but that's what I've come to expect from Camuncoli.
    Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    I tend to agree that the relaunching/huge event/death of a main character trend has gotten tiresome and, perhaps because it is done so regularly, I am more or less numb to it. Having said that, ASM has been doing exactly what you suggest above for 5 solid years now (150 or so issues!) so a shakeup, while not "due", is not a surprise either.

Here's how I feel: If "Dying Wish" and the direction of the new Superior S-M are as good as I expect, this will all be worth it. If not, then it wasn't.
    An interesting split in comic fandom, I think, is the division between ends and means folks. That is to say, some people, seemingly like yourself, tend to retroactively approve or at least ignore an unsavory means if it they appreciate the results. While other comic fans seem to get so hung up on the means that even if the end result was world peace and a free bag of fritos with every issue, they'd still decry it as the end of the world.

But there doesn't seem, at least from my observation, to be much of a middle ground. Either everything can be forgiven, or nothing can be forgiven. It's...interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Nichols View Post
    That... is a really great analogy. Taken from that perspective, it does make perfect sense, at least to me. It's funny, but I forget how we can prioritize things so differently as people. I love Spidey comics. I'm a serious collector and I love reading them, but I've never felt like comics were worth getting mad over. As you have so keenly noticed, I'm also a Green Bay Packers fan. I love the team, the franchise, and watching the games. And I will get frightfully angry/emotional over them. But you're right. I never miss a game, no matter how poorly the Pack may be playing.

So, apologies to MorningMoon. I do completely get the mentality. Even though I'm really digging Spidey right now, I hope things turn for you soon so you can enjoy them too.
    Indeed. Passion is a funny thing. I'm glad the analogy worked as intended.

Quote Originally Posted by MorningMoon View Post
    Hey, it's okay. :) Kinda my fault for not coming up with the right words (thanks, Xenon!) and still, it's just how I see things, which is no more valid than how you or anyone else see things.
    I hope so too!
    You're welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_Slott View Post
    Fair analogy. But you have to admit, it'd be crazy for a Packers fan to go onto a Packers message board and grade and make comments on a SPECIFIC game that they HADN'T REALLY WATCHED. That'd be kinda loopy, right?
    In THAT specific case, their insights WOULDN'T really be valid AT ALL.
    1) Good Sir have you been to Wisconsin recently?

2) I'm gonna use Viewtiful as a jumping off point, cause his post is so good as a starting point....

Quote Originally Posted by ViewtifulJC View Post
    I think it's more like watching the highlight reel afterwards and then talking about how so-and-so sucked in that game

I mean, you get the main bullet points, but you completely miss all the nuances and shit

I think this would be a better analogy of the situation. Based on his first post he seems to know what basically happened in the issue. But this is where sports are different from storytelling, because I think it's true that it's unfair to judge a story, which has things like tone and subtlety and misdirection, without paying a certain level of a attention. I can know the Oakland Raiders suck by just being in a bar while the Raiders game is on and I glance up every so often (that win-loss record helps). I can't know how good the story of "The Amazing Spider-Man" is if I come in the middle of the movie and spend half the time trying to hit on some girl in the room.

In other words, if, as you contend, he has not paid enough attention to the story to be fair to it, then no, he should not be grading and critiquing it. The question here is whether MorningMoon paid enough attention to fairly judge it. And that's a question I cannot answer. I disagree with some of the thing's he posted about it(I liked Roderick's dialogue and don't mind reasonable doses of Identity concerns), but I've disagreed with well-informed and uninformed posters both, so that's not a reliable indicator. But honestly, I don't feel it's a question worth worrying about, because if a poster is being unfair, then others will see it for what it is, especially when we're dealing with such a recent issue. It's why I've always preferred attacking specific points, because the strength or weakness of such arguments tends to expose the truth in more ways than one.
    When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.-C.S.Lewis

Loved it, especially seeing the contrast between the two Hobgoblins. Considering that Kingsley was wearing the costume at the end, I wonder if both incarnations will stay active.
    Empty winds scrape on the soul never stop to realize/Animal whisperings intoxicate the night
    Hypnotize the desperate slow motionlight/Wash away into the rain
    Blood, milk and sky....

Gave it a C. I usually love Slott's stuff but after he makes big event after big event and waiting for 700 this felt trivial and uneventful.
    Ready for the return of the one and only Spider-Man!!

Quote Originally Posted by John Zaleski View Post
    Gave it a C. I usually love Slott's stuff but after he makes big event after big event and waiting for 700 this felt trivial and uneventful.
    John, you seem to echo a sentiment I read a few times in this thread that suggests if this arc had been published elsewhere (and not right before "Dying Wish") that it might have been better received. I don't mean to put words in your mouth but that's kinda what I am taking away from your remarks (and some others here as well). Personally, I loved it but I can also understand some wanting to just get to the "Main Event" but I also am loving the issues leading up to #700 as it is clear that Slott has been setting the stage very carefully and I fully expect some seemingly innocuous characters/scenes from these issues to come into play once we hit the big story. Just my two cents.
    "What oldschool said"
    The Shadow, 2008

I will put my opinion when I finish read all the arc. Meanwhile, I like what I'm reading.

Quote Originally Posted by John Zaleski View Post
    So true. There are so many "Big evens" the we as readers tend to be jaded. And what does this latest arc mean if Peter soon is gone anyways?

Quote Originally Posted by Juxtapozed View Post
    So true. There are so many "Big evens" the we as readers tend to be jaded. And what does this latest arc mean if Peter soon is gone anyways?
    what does lasting meaning have to do with reading it and enjoying it or not?

Kind of hard to not have that in the back of my head at least when reading a story. I keep thinking "soon Peter will be gone", and that does take away from my enjoyment at least.

Kind of hard to not have that in the back of my head at least when reading a story. I keep thinking "soon Peter will be gone", and that does take away from my enjoyment at least.
    What happens if you are wrong and peter is not gone? or Peter comes back after a few superior issues come out? Do you relook at your enjoyment of this?

I might, yes. Very possible.

I might, yes. Very possible.
    Well at least you will do that... I find it an odd critique to dock a story points based on future stories.

It's more like I'm seriously considering dropping Spider-Man because of this Superior Stuff. As I've said before, Peter Parker is the one and only for me. And I'm more invested in the character than I am loyal to a writer.