Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 67
  1. #16
    Like a boss E. Wilson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,769

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Blaming the workers who refused to take an eight percent paycut in the face of that sort of behavior from management is a little silly.
    Last I checked, an eight percent pay cut is a lot less than a hundred percent pay cut, but what do I know? I'm from a right-to-work state where unions don't parasitically drain the life out of companies.

  2. #17
    Richards!!! josh straightedge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Doom is wherever he wants to be
    Posts
    2,332

    Default

    So a collective bargaining agreement, signed and ratified by both sides, should just be null and void because the head exec needs a 300% raise and not pay into pensions like required? Sorry, I'm from a right to work state too and that's a company too stupid to survive.
    Today, I make no demands... no threats! But, one day, I shall voice demands -- and all shall obey them!

  3. #18
    Bishop was right. Sighphi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    14,147

    Default

    Can we stop saying this stuff in unhealthy?
    You are not supposed to survive on snacks you are suppose to snack on them. This is why they are called snacks.
    I drink soda and eat at Burger Kings and places like that a handful of times a year so if my teeth rot or I get kidney stones it's not happening because of any of that.
    Last edited by Sighphi; 11-19-2012 at 04:20 PM.

  4. #19
    The curious one.
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    14,447

    Default

    According to most I've read the company had to deal with 12 unions, one of them hostile but all of them gambling that companies when faced with union pressure will fold. They gambled and they lost. You can scream at the ceo's and cast them as the villains but I wonder how much the union chiefs get paid per year? How many of them will be facing un-employment? Amongst all those unions don't they simply have the money to buy the company out of bankruptcy and run it themselves? They pushed -by their own admission- a badly run company run by -judging from the comments here- bad people. When the people running the company saw that they could take their money and leave and not have to deal with the daily headaches of trying to deal with people who were just going to hate them anyway, why would they stay? I wouldn't. Call them heartless and rapacious and cast them as the villains, but if I were them I'd see no point in working hard with people that hate me to produce a product that continually is called un-healthy.

  5. #20

  6. #21
    The curious one.
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    14,447

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    The Huffington websight is far too biased to be very reliable. Nothing about it on CNN yet.

  7. #22
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Ouagadougou
    Posts
    2,035

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post
    According to most I've read the company had to deal with 12 unions, one of them hostile but all of them gambling that companies when faced with union pressure will fold. They gambled and they lost. You can scream at the ceo's and cast them as the villains but I wonder how much the union chiefs get paid per year? How many of them will be facing un-employment? Amongst all those unions don't they simply have the money to buy the company out of bankruptcy and run it themselves? They pushed -by their own admission- a badly run company run by -judging from the comments here- bad people. When the people running the company saw that they could take their money and leave and not have to deal with the daily headaches of trying to deal with people who were just going to hate them anyway, why would they stay? I wouldn't. Call them heartless and rapacious and cast them as the villains, but if I were them I'd see no point in working hard with people that hate me to produce a product that continually is called un-healthy.


    In 2011, UAW President Bob King received a salary of $159,29.


    As a former member of three major unions, organized labor (and especially unorganized labor) have been beaten down to the point where the labor movement is virtually powerless. Since the Gingrich congress of 1993, in particular, unions ranging from the Newspaper Guild to the UAW have had to give back retirement benefits, take cuts in pay, see the majority of their co-workers laid off and the concept of seniority turned on its head. They've seen their work contracted out to agencies that pay no benefits. Blaming unions for bad management and massive, seven-figure salaries for the execs is ridiculous.

    Middle-level union leaders make squat compared to their management counterparts.

    All this nostalgia about garbage food is a sad commentary. Stir fry the corporate elite and snack on them.

    Check the charts on the link. Just like people screamed that corporations didn't need OSHA because workplaces were safe proved you needed oversight and organization on the essential greed that corrupts the back-biters in the executive suites.

    So they refused an 8 percent cut at Hostess Snack and Spackle Inc.? What was their peak employment? How many percentage cuts have they taken over the past decade, two decades? Can they afford the chintzy HMOs for health care?

    This is the kind of thing that' gonna drive people back to the unions. Right now, the un-unionized workers at Wal-Everything's-Made-In-China-Mart are already launching work stoppages for post-Thanksgiving.

    Then again, it takes guts to take a stand.
    Last edited by Alan Smithee; 11-19-2012 at 04:13 PM.

  8. #23
    Like a boss E. Wilson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,769

    Default

    Nice post, but it was better in the original Russian.

  9. #24
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Ouagadougou
    Posts
    2,035

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post
    The Huffington websight is far too biased to be very reliable. Nothing about it on CNN yet.
    The sides have agreed to a judge's order to mediate.

    Wonder what Fox will say. They've been scapegoating the unions since the beginning.

  10. #25
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Ouagadougou
    Posts
    2,035

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by E. Wilson View Post
    Nice post, but it was better in the original Russian.
    I was gonna go Russian, but the USSR has been gone now, replaced by an authoritarian run-of-the-mill regime, so I thought I'd stick with American, considering its history of slave labor to build the railroads and raise cotton, among so many other things.

  11. #26
    Like a boss E. Wilson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,769

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
    I was gonna go Russian, but the USSR has been gone now, replaced by an authoritarian run-of-the-mill regime,
    So, a lateral shift, then?

    so I thought I'd stick with American, considering its history of slave labor to build the railroads and raise cotton, among so many other things.
    Ah, cute. A little historical barb to pretend that socialists/anarchists/marxists/occupiers/whatever-you-feel-like-calling-yourself-this-week actually learn anything from history. If they did, they'd probably realize that their nonsense constantly leads to a decrease in the quality of life of anyone naive enough to take them seriously. I mean, it's only turned out as a disaster every time it's tried, so why not keep trying?

  12. #27
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Ouagadougou
    Posts
    2,035

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by E. Wilson View Post
    So, a lateral shift, then?



    Ah, cute. A little historical barb to pretend that socialists/anarchists/marxists/occupiers/whatever-you-feel-like-calling-yourself-this-week actually learn anything from history. If they did, they'd probably realize that their nonsense constantly leads to a decrease in the quality of life of anyone naive enough to take them seriously. I mean, it's only turned out as a disaster every time it's tried, so why not keep trying?
    I'm not gonna debate somebody who considers progressives to be some vague notion of commies. When Ike commissioned the freeway system in the 1950s, he was acting all socialisty, critics said, but he knew the nation needed a transportation system for commerce and the jobs that went with it. Obama is actually to the right of Eisenhower, who warned Americans to beware of the "military-industrial complex'' that bedeviled the country into over-subsidizing it, along with the politicians who went to work for it. Check out the docu "Why We Fight" about Ike's visionary warning.

    Then check out the cost-overruns for the various outfits like Bechtel (landing pad for former GOP politicians) for the fake war on Iraq.

    Your guy W took the biggest surplus in US history, threw taxpayer money at Wall Street execs and left his successor with the mother of all deficits. Obama's 2009 budget -- his first year--was basically W's last budget.

    But, hey, name-calling can be fun, too!
    Last edited by Alan Smithee; 11-19-2012 at 04:56 PM.

  13. #28
    Wol with it. SuperCooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,567

    Default

    Not quite what I would expect to find in a thread about Twinkies.

    Also, I agree with the idea to collect the Hostess ads all together, I'd buy three copies in an instant!
    Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself.

  14. #29
    Marvel Zombie strathcona's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    4,508

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Guardian View Post
    Isn't there a website that does exactly that?
    Oh yeah! http://www.seanbaby.com/hostess.htm I think that's all of them.
    I am aware of that site and have visited it many times. However, I want to have a physical comic. I don't like reading digital comics, so I don't just want a website with them either.

  15. #30
    The curious one.
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    14,447

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
    I'm not gonna debate somebody who considers progressives to be some vague notion of commies. When Ike commissioned the freeway system in the 1950s, he was acting all socialisty, critics said, but he knew the nation needed a transportation system for commerce and the jobs that went with it. Obama is actually to the right of Eisenhower, who warned Americans to beware of the "military-industrial complex'' that bedeviled the country into over-subsidizing it, along with the politicians who went to work for it. Check out the docu "Why We Fight" about Ike's visionary warning.

    Then check out the cost-overruns for the various outfits like Bechtel (landing pad for former GOP politicians) for the fake war on Iraq.

    Your guy W took the biggest surplus in US history, threw taxpayer money at Wall Street execs and left his successor with the mother of all deficits. Obama's 2009 budget -- his first year--was basically W's last budget.

    But, hey, name-calling can be fun, too!
    I think the interstate highway system had more to do with having a easily moved army and populace in case of a soviet nuclear attack.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •