Unreasonably Opinionated Conway's Avatar

Default Wingman V. Redbird

Am I the only one that thinks this is a bad idea?

"I can't control my assassin son so I want him to hang out with the adopted son I don't talk to because he kills people." I mean just from a "father" point of view it's dumb. They are both killers, that won't stop because they hang out with each other. For Jason and Damian it's even more idiotic.

The problem with being "Judge, Jury, and Executioner" in a duo is that eventually the other person is going to disagree with your judgement. Then they judge you, and before you know it they're trying to kill each other.

This is the only way I see Wingman & Redbird ending. I mean they already started arguing about who gets top billing.

Quote Originally Posted by Conway View Post
    Am I the only one that thinks this is a bad idea?

"I can't control my assassin son so I want him to hang out with the adopted son I don't talk to because he kills people." I mean just from a "father" point of view it's dumb. They are both killers, that won't stop because they hang out with each other. For Jason and Damian it's even more idiotic.

The problem with being "Judge, Jury, and Executioner" in a duo is that eventually the other person is going to disagree with your judgement. Then they judge you, and before you know it they're trying to kill each other.

This is the only way I see Wingman & Redbird ending. I mean they already started arguing about who gets top billing.
    You really think their partnership will end with them trying to kill each other?

I think they'll end up seeing a lot of themselves in each other, which could temper them a bit. At least for this story, all bets are off when they're in their own books.
    Last edited by ABH-1979; 11-16-2012 at 09:10 AM.
    DC: Action Comics - Detective Comics - Batman and... - Batman - Justice League
    Marvel: All-New X-Factor

Quote Originally Posted by Namtab View Post
    You really think their partnership will end with them trying to kill each other?

I think they'll end up seeing a lot of themselves in each other, which could temper them a bit. At least for this story, all bets are off when they're in their own books.
    Yes. Damian broke into Jason's home gave him a beating then stole his mask. And (depending on how much of Battle for the Cowl happened) Jason shot Damian through the heart. Their personalities change every time the writer does, but I don't think either of them is a very forgiving type.

Yes. Damian broke into Jason's home gave him a beating then stole his mask.
    Yeah, but what issue of B&R was that? All the bird-boys worked pretty well together against Terminus and his crew, later on. Jason was even kind enough to only go for leg-shots, too. All of that was by Tomasi, so there's no telling how differently Morrison will play it.

And (depending on how much of Battle for the Cowl happened) Jason shot Damian through the heart. Their personalities change every time the writer does, but I don't think either of them is a very forgiving type.
    Hopefully none of Battle for the Cowl is still in continuity, especially Jason's part.
    DC: Action Comics - Detective Comics - Batman and... - Batman - Justice League
    Marvel: All-New X-Factor

The Alpha and The Omega Godlike13's Avatar

Did u even read the issue? Redbird was Damian's idea, something he did with out anyone's knowledge, and before he even knew who Wingman was. And when he did find out who Wingman was, he was less then thrilled to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Did u even read the issue? Redbird was Damian's idea, something he did with out anyone's knowledge, and before he even knew who Wingman was. And when he did find out who Wingman was, he was less then thrilled to say the least.
    I think the OP is just shocked that Batman suggested they work together.

Seems like a fantastic idea to me. Namtab nailed the reasons why above.

The only wish I'd have for all this would be that none of the other Bat-writers reference it at all in their books, because Morrison works best operating in his own world (especially since he writes with complete disregard for anything any other current Bat-writer has done or is doing). When I read Batman Inc. as its own universe and all the other Bat-books as another, I enjoy everything. Unfortunately, Lobdell has chosen to try and reconcile the two worlds. Best of luck to him.

The Alpha and The Omega Godlike13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ispacehead View Post
    I think the OP is just shocked that Batman suggested they work together.

Seems like a fantastic idea to me. Namtab nailed the reasons why above.
    Batman didn't suggest they work together. Hell, he told Damian that he's giving him back to his mom. That would have been pretty cruel to say u should work with him, oh but sorry i gotta send u back. Batman just pointed out that they instinctively worked together as a team, and that Damian should think about that.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 11-16-2012 at 01:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stk View Post
    The only wish I'd have for all this would be that none of the other Bat-writers reference it at all in their books, because Morrison works best operating in his own world (especially since he writes with complete disregard for anything any other current Bat-writer has done or is doing). When I read Batman Inc. as its own universe and all the other Bat-books as another, I enjoy everything. Unfortunately, Lobdell has chosen to try and reconcile the two worlds. Best of luck to him.
    I'm hoping so as well. Morrison's stuff as a universe unto itself works out better in my mind as well since Inc. doesn't seem to be taking much of the N52 into account anyway and thus it makes it easier for someone like myself who is not a fan of Inc. to ignore. I really wish Lobdell would just ignore the Wingman reveal and not try to insert it into his story where it might feel shoehorned in.
    Characters come and go, revamped and revisited. But as long as you enjoyed them, remember them and continue to appreciate them, then that character, your hero or heroine, will always exist.

The entire thing was full of "teases" to a future team up. Damian is the only one of Bruce's kids that would believe he would sacrifice them "for the greater good". And I have to agree with Damian he gets top billing. I mean Jason's name is "Wing Man".

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Batman didn't suggest they work together. Hell, he told Damian that he's giving him back to his mom. That would have been pretty cruel to say u should work with him, oh but sorry i gotta send u back. Batman just pointed out that they instinctively worked together as a team, and that Damian should think about that.
    It seemed pretty obviously implied to me.

I don't know, the pairing works well for me; almost as well as Dick and Damian actually. Jason is a character that is growing towards redemption, and in that respect he's makes a good mentor for Damian in that he can show him how to walk the thin line between vigilantism and villainy and at the same time it gives Jason time to reflect on his own past as in many ways Damian is a mirror into Jason's youth. It's an interesting dynamic that I think would be fun to see developed.

Yeah, it kinda seems like a natural progression too.

Given Bruce's frustration at some of Damian's attitudes, I could see why he would liken the two.

BANNED

If anything, I think Lobdell's Red Hood makes the Wingman reveal easier to buy into. It would have been contrived going from Revenge of the Red Hood in Batman and Robin to Jason as Wingman in Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    If anything, I think Lobdell's Red Hood makes the Wingman reveal easier to buy into. It would have been contrived going from Revenge of the Red Hood in Batman and Robin to Jason as Wingman in Inc.
    Definitely. Even as it is, it seems that there is some "burying of the hatchet" moment that we are as yet not privy to.

Maybe that's what we can look forward to in February's RHATO.