Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This was great. The artwork is...well, the artwork is the artwork. Nothing left to say, there really.

But the prose is beautiful. At times, perhaps, a titch over written but I'll take that over decompression any day, and there is a poetry here that I LOVE and that is absolutely missing from comics.

Probably the best thing I read this week yet.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

The Older Waiter Brave Sir Robbin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Desaad View Post
    But the prose is beautiful. At times, perhaps, a titch over written but I'll take that over decompression any day, and there is a poetry here that I LOVE and that is absolutely missing from comics.
    Well said. I really appreciate your poetry comments. I feel that the writers the last two issues have been reaching higher and farther with their characters voices than you see often.
    Current Favorites: The Goon, Batgirl, Chew, Alex + Ada,The Sixth Gun, Saga, Diskordia, Think Tank, Archie, Rachel Rising, Red Sonja, X, Wonder Woman, Powerpuff Girls

Dark Knight Detective DarkKnghtJared's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Desaad View Post
    This was great. The artwork is...well, the artwork is the artwork. Nothing left to say, there really.

Probably the best thing I read this week yet.
    But...this IS decompressed. Extremely decompressed. Like, this was a waste of three bucks, I don't give a damn how pretty it looks.

I think I'm pretty much done with this book until they get a different writer at the helm.

Differnt strokes I guess, this was totally worth my money. The art work was fantastic and the character work being done with Wondy and Kate was awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkKnghtJared View Post
    But...this IS decompressed. Extremely decompressed. Like, this was a waste of three bucks, I don't give a damn how pretty it looks.
    Well, different strokes I guess. We got introduced to Pegasus, got a fight between him and Falchion, got a bunch of character insight into both Diana and Batwoman, got the transformation of Croc into the Hydra, some great action scenes of Medusa and her monsters fighting the Bat Family...I'm not sure what books you're reading, but that is more than what happens in 99% of the ones out there.

I think I'm pretty much done with this book until they get a different writer at the helm.
    A shame, I am loving it more every issue.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

This and Harbinger are so far the best books of the month for me. Have to agree that alot happened this issue and the insight into the minds of Kate and Diana was really interesting. I like this Diana so much more than Azzarellos already. Croc as the new Hydra, yeah ok, I can go along with it I guess.

Having Croc become the hydra...brilliant. Endgame of every single "Croc has mutated further!" storyline of the past decade. Retire the character after this!

This issue was fantastic. My favorite of the run so far. The only minor nitpick I had with it was that I thought Batwoman should have tried a little harder to stop Wonder Woman from killing Pegasus. I loved the image of Medusa's hand holding a black heart with Gotham inside and the panel Batwoman's blacked out face and the two-page spread with the panels across the sides of the buildings.

I liked the interaction between WW and Batwoman. I like that Batwoman's still thinking about Maggie and I loved that last line of the issue. This really seems to play into my theory of Maggie knowing who Batwoman is by the end of this story. I can't wait to see next issue about Maggie. Does anyone else here agree with me about Maggie finding out?

Another good issue, but it did seem rather decompressed than most of the previous issues and ended too soon. Looking back, a lot of the pages do have "empty space" devoted just to artwork that doesn't move the plot along. So many double page spreads means that the ads are all clustered at the end, so I think there still a bunch of pages left and then get to the end midway through the actual comic.

I have to brush up on Greek mythology, but am I correct in thinking that Falchion is a new character created here and not present in myth? I'm aware of how Pegasus sprung from Medusa's blood, but I've never seen Pegasus depicted as a man, or anything other than a winged horse. I found it odd how Medusa suddenly appeared in Gotham herself after keeping such a low profile before. Also, the scenes of Williams drawing characters from the previous arc was kind of a disservice because it highlights the inferior quality artwork of that arc.
    DC: Wonder Woman
    Marvel: Daredevil, Hawkeye
    Creator-Owned: Fables, Fatale, Lazarus, Saga

Yeah I cannot say I am the biggest fan of all these new forms to mythological charters and greek gods. Still a bit decompressed though. Although I enjoy the dynamics. I did find the angle that gods can come back from death if enough believe.
    Black History Month & 29 Days in February

Great art - not Williams' best but hey, let's face it ... compared to other artists like that even matters ... story that's fun, respects the hell out of both heroines and moves along at a pace, cool. Williams is one of the only artists I can ever forgive for two-page splashes, because it's not as if they're ever one single panel image ... sometimes he's got like 20 panels or more crammed in.

Decent. Not my favorite chapter and I thought Pegasus wasn't the strongest (not weak, just not shockingly cool) story element so far, but the Croc/Hydra spell and Medusa finally showing up is real fun. And this was a classic moment for Maggie and Bullock. I miss Bullock, he fills a spot in my overview of Gotham stories that hasn't been being satiated by a one-panel cameo in Batman, Inc. or a handful of lines in one or two issues of Snyder's book. (Snyder used Bullock a ton in his Detective run and it was easily a big reason why his Detective was superior in my mind to his current book. He's got Harv's voice down pretty well.)

Consistently good, this.
    "Everything hs changed. ‘Dark’ entertainment now looks like hysterical, adolescent, ‘Zibarro’ crap." - Morrison, 2008.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Brack360 View Post
    Another good issue, but it did seem rather decompressed than most of the previous issues and ended too soon. Looking back, a lot of the pages do have "empty space" devoted just to artwork that doesn't move the plot along. So many double page spreads means that the ads are all clustered at the end, so I think there still a bunch of pages left and then get to the end midway through the actual comic.

I have to brush up on Greek mythology, but am I correct in thinking that Falchion is a new character created here and not present in myth? I'm aware of how Pegasus sprung from Medusa's blood, but I've never seen Pegasus depicted as a man, or anything other than a winged horse. I found it odd how Medusa suddenly appeared in Gotham herself after keeping such a low profile before. Also, the scenes of Williams drawing characters from the previous arc was kind of a disservice because it highlights the inferior quality artwork of that arc.
    He's a real mythological figure, he and Pegasus both sprung from Medusa's neck when Perseus decapitated her. In the original myth he was named Chrysaor which means golden falchion in Greek and I imagine they went with Falchion as his name here simply because it's easier to pronounce.

Loved this issue. I felt like it was a great mix of action and quieter character moments that really shined a light on the core of the characters. I continue to be delighted by how much the writers respect the heroines, and I love how they're writing WW. Sad to say, but I'm enjoying Diana way more in Batwoman than I am in her own book. Which bums me out. But anyway, I'm digging the hell out of this arc, and the last page was all kinds of awesome. Can't wait for the next issue, and the showdown that's been seemingly forever in the making.

Quote Originally Posted by SS888 View Post
    I liked the interaction between WW and Batwoman. I like that Batwoman's still thinking about Maggie and I loved that last line of the issue. This really seems to play into my theory of Maggie knowing who Batwoman is by the end of this story. I can't wait to see next issue about Maggie. Does anyone else here agree with me about Maggie finding out?
    Yeah, I get the sense that Maggie will find out Kate is BW by the end of this arc. That's what I'm expecting, anyway, and I think I'll be disappointed if she doesn't. I love their relationship, and they both would really benefit from being able to openly acknowledge and discuss Kate's secret life. I'm looking forward to the next issue too, and finding out more about Maggie, who I think is a fantastic character.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlAggie View Post
    But anyway, I'm digging the hell out of this arc, and the last page was all kinds of awesome. Can't wait for the next issue, and the showdown that's been seemingly forever in the making.
    That was a sweet cliffhanger. You're reading and reading and then you flip the page and bam! I loved it, can't wait for #15.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlAggie View Post
    Yeah, I get the sense that Maggie will find out Kate is BW by the end of this arc. That's what I'm expecting, anyway, and I think I'll be disappointed if she doesn't. I love their relationship, and they both would really benefit from being able to openly acknowledge and discuss Kate's secret life. I'm looking forward to the next issue too, and finding out more about Maggie, who I think is a fantastic character.
    It sort of feels like it's not so much that Maggie will find out, but Kate will tell her her secret and the relevation makes them closer. That, or Medusa kills Maggie and Kate becomes all broody and depressed. Like Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by 604comics View Post
    That was a sweet cliffhanger. You're reading and reading and then you flip the page and bam! I loved it, can't wait for #15.

It sort of feels like it's not so much that Maggie will find out, but Kate will tell her her secret and the relevation makes them closer. That, or Medusa kills Maggie and Kate becomes all broody and depressed. Like Batman.
    Yeah, I think that if Maggie does find out about Batwoman, it will be because Kate tells her, instead of her just randomly finding out. Next issue should be fantastic!