Default OT-article:Vampires in New England

Smithsonian Magazine has an interesting article about a Vampire scare in New England in the 1700-1800s that might be of interest to Hellboarders.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/histor...169791986.html
    "The evil I can tolerate, but the stupidity!!!"

Thanks for sharing, Donald!

I do feel it's rare or particular how pieces on historical science or historical societal phenomenons may prove eloquently insightful or either not so much.
    Probably since some of them do prove eloquent and insightful quite particularly.

I liked reading this article eventhough for me it isn't making enough of a distinction or affirmation as from the get-go, to how panics or crazes among people would NOT have to be proving realistical or sensible or sane much at all.

Any self-respecting folklorist or enthusiast for the extraordinary, however scientific or otherwise, would NOT restrict things to being neededly merely sensible or sane or realistical.
    Plus they'd be aware of how people will often be wanting to believe or become convinced of incredible notions for some reason, or either for no sensible reason whatsoever.

People don't ordinarily restrict themselves to being but sane or sensible. Not historically or be it recently.
    If history or historical phenomenons or traditions prove anything, it'll be how mankind will have a knack for escapism both as even being incredibly silly.

Since it seems provable how such would date back to as long as there would have been people, busy at being silly or escapist or otherwise.
    Which would make vampire scares or monster crazes or any godly infatuations very much actual realities of sorts, even if they'd be purely belonging to fantastical realms.

Nothing wrong with fantastic, to which any science buff or farmer or sportsfan or pious soul could be to subscribe.
    Last edited by Kees_L; 11-16-2012 at 02:23 PM.
    Been called a 'good egg'. Been told to rock, been told to steady myself. Been told to (please) be goin' places.
    Chillingly good stuff besides Mignola, Slint, M, Knut and really big chunks of tinfoil?
    Half sunk in the mud, with one eye showing / a cracked smile and hair still growing /
    your hands miles apart, as if they'd never met / you were the happiest I'd seen you yet
    . ~
    (full) lyrics to 'Exhume' by Bedhead.

When he says sensible I don't believe he meant that their actions were realistic but rather that he wanted to point out that the people doing these things weren't crazy in any clinical sense. They weren't mentally disabled or unintelligent, they were very much just regular people faced with an unknown terror.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    When he says sensible I don't believe he meant that their actions were realistic but rather that he wanted to point out that the people doing these things weren't crazy in any clinical sense. They weren't mentally disabled or unintelligent, they were very much just regular people faced with an unknown terror.
    In my criticism I tried to stress I don't think the article is badly written at all. It'll mostly be due to how I'm reading it. Like as subtle as something taking you out of a movie for some reason without it having to be badly made for it.

Since I work at a city archive I come across 19th century scientific texts quite often, plus I like reading old folklore and mythology books, or such stuff as Arthur Conan Doyle or particular philosophical or Victorian scientific stuff.
    And the language being used in there is often exceedingly intricate and thought through. Like how most such wouldn't likely get phrased as how many vampire cases could be claimed as having occurred anywhere, but more rather such would get described as for instance how commonly our world wouldn't be concealing the strangest apparitions in places.

That subtleness, that eloquent restraint as to never be saying or claiming anything which could be refuted, I felt to be missing a little bit. Eventhough the article is very fun and well done for all I know.
    Last edited by Kees_L; 11-17-2012 at 06:36 AM.
    Been called a 'good egg'. Been told to rock, been told to steady myself. Been told to (please) be goin' places.
    Chillingly good stuff besides Mignola, Slint, M, Knut and really big chunks of tinfoil?
    Half sunk in the mud, with one eye showing / a cracked smile and hair still growing /
    your hands miles apart, as if they'd never met / you were the happiest I'd seen you yet
    . ~

I don't think there's anything there that could be refuted, the vampire scare discussed there in the article is all a matter of public record.

I don't think there's anything there that could be refuted, the vampire scare discussed there in the article is all a matter of public record.
    I went and reread the piece, with taking the time. For finding no flaw and nothing taking away from anything.

So I now know I misspoke or spoke to soon in my earlier criticism. Because the very thing I claimed to miss somewhat, subtle eloquence and careful precision the whole article is brimming with.
    I don't know what came over me - or actually I do: sheer stupidity!
    . ~

It is a pretty cool article like that, makes me want to attend one of the lectures put on by that guy. Since its right in my backyard, that might actually be doable.

It is a pretty cool article like that, makes me want to attend one of the lectures put on by that guy. Since its right in my backyard, that might actually be doable.
    I'd think such might indeed be a fun thing to do. But then I'll be pretty old and stale by now.

I sometimes attend stuff like 'classical music' shows or cultural sort of do's, if only for the food. Like art film viewings or like exhibitions. Although those don't usually offer food much.

Rarely I stumble into lectures and when I do they're usually pretty decent. They happen in my town since it has a University. Which girls sometimes frequent it is said.

So I'd say go for it! Please share if they're big on folklore or either mysterious phenomena?
    . ~