Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Buffy-verse: Anybody still buying / reading these?

Just curious what other people think about Buffy, Angel & Faith, etc. from Dark Horse since I'm just starting to look into some of these myself.

The recent Halloween holiday (though I was still in the cold and dark then courtesy of Sandy) and a recent interest in the TV show Supernatural have me checking out the Buffy stuff. (I passed on the Spike series though . . . vampires in space or something? How Vampirella- or Planet of the Vampires- like.)
    Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

i havent read season 9 yet but season 8 was cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Zak213 View Post
    i havent read season 9 yet but season 8 was cool.
    Season 9 is awful. By issue 6, a fall down, blackout drunk buffy finds out she is pregnant, cant really figure out who it might be that date raped her since she blacks out ALOT, then decides to get an abortion, asking for help from Spike.

Issue 7 turns out that the positive pregnancy testing Buffy is actually a robot. Spike proclaims "It's a good thing I know my way around a buffy-bot!"

Garbage. Plus I got tricked into reading Issue 6 twice because of a batman variant cover I picked up for 70 cents. Worst two comics I have read all year.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Montana View Post
    Season 9 is awful. By issue 6, a fall down, blackout drunk buffy finds out she is pregnant, cant really figure out who it might be that date raped her since she blacks out ALOT, then decides to get an abortion, asking for help from Spike.

Issue 7 turns out that the positive pregnancy testing Buffy is actually a robot. Spike proclaims "It's a good thing I know my way around a buffy-bot!"

Garbage. Plus I got tricked into reading Issue 6 twice because of a batman variant cover I picked up for 70 cents. Worst two comics I have read all year.
    I like Buffy more than you but yeah, it is deeply flawed. On the other hand, Angel and Faith has been consistently really good.
    Check out my latest movie review: Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Thanks for the Spoiler Alert Kid Montana!

I started Buffy with the first part of the Billy the Slayer arc. Not sure how I feel about it yet based on just one issue.
    (But . . . Zompires?!? What's next . . . Dempires? Werebies? )
    Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

I can't say I cared for season 8 (mostly due to the last few arcs). Not into Buffy season 9 either.

Angel & Faith is one of my favorite titles every month, consistently. It builds on the history of the Buffyverse in a satisfying way without resorting to gimmicky storytelling. I really can't say enough good things about it.

Picked up an old IDW Spike book (Spike: Old Wounds) where he was suspected of being behind the Black Dahlia murder in the 1940's. Not too bad a story, but geez was the cover price ridiculous! (It had a 2006 cover price of $7.49; I got it 6 years later for $1.00.)

Also picked up issues #2-5 of Spike vs. Dracula from IDW for a buck each, but haven't gotten to those yet.

The spike minis written by Brian lynch are pretty good.

I read the buffy issue with Billy the vampire slayer and thought it was ok.

After the rather disappointing ending of Season 8 I initially wanted to pass on Season 9. For some reason I didn't. And didn't regret it.
    Yes, the "Buffy" book ranges from decent at best to utter rubbish but "Angel & Faith" has been phantastic from the first issue. "Spike" is also very good and "Willow is off to a good start. So three out of four books are worth their money.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Well... they also had a Xenopire (a Xenomorph vampire) in the FCBD special. Nice idea, badly executed.
    Klatuu... barada *cough* *cough*

|| [comiccover.de] || [marvelarchiv.de] || [comicshop.de] ||

"You can make me bleed
    You can make me cry
    You can make me fall
    You can make me live or die
    And I wonder how
    And you wonder why
    "
    www.tristania.com

Season 8 was really well done in my opinion. It was a fun ride from beggining to end. Season 9 fell flat instantly, I dropped it as soon as she became a body guard.

Season 8 has been okay, it's just buffy having to deal with a bunch of shit because of season 8.

Angel & Faith has been fantastic, not a single good issue, all have been great or better. I'll pre-order as soon as the library editions are announced.

Also read, IDW Spike vol. 1 & 2 it explains the whole bug space ship thingy

That's what you get when you let Xander name things

Edit: Also, can anyone tell me why Dawn was a giant in the beginning of Season 8?
    Last edited by Blastermaster; 11-26-2012 at 05:35 AM.

Edit: Also, can anyone tell me why Dawn was a giant in the beginning of Season 8?[/QUOTE]

I do believe it had something to do with the end of the T.V. show (season 7). Dawn had slept with a Demon or some such that left her cursed.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate77 View Post
    Edit: Also, can anyone tell me why Dawn was a giant in the beginning of Season 8?
    I do believe it had something to do with the end of the T.V. show (season 7). Dawn had slept with a Demon or some such that left her cursed.[/QUOTE]

Huh, I don't remember that happening. Have to go re-watch season 7 then. But i'm pretty sure Dawn didn't have a boyfriend in season 7. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by Blastermaster View Post
    That's what you get when you let Xander name things
    Oh, like on an episode of Supernatural, when Dean was told he should name a new type of creature they were fighting, and he decided to call them Jefferson Starships "…because they're horrible and hard to kill"?